CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Friday, January 14, 2011

"Old Man Winter"...January 12 2011

You can say I'm "Warm as Toast" in my own little Arctic World here... We don't get many years with this much snow SO I'm going to say it's "One of My VERY Favorite Things"!!!
There are Beautiful Things Sleeping under this Blanket of White... Scroll on and I'll tease you to come back next season!
We received an additional 30 inches of glistening white January 12th... It's been less than a week since we had the other storm that buried us...
It's impossible to walk outside without the aid of snow-blowers... I have lots of unidentified LUMPS all over the property that need to be addressed LIKE maybe a vehicle or two!!! Gee, I think that's one RIGHT THERE in the middle of the picture, I can see it's EARS sticking out! Do you see it???
Looking down from second floor bedroom... That's my Flowerless Cart!!! It's also in a deep winter sleep!!!
View of our lake from a second floor bedroom...
Mon Jardin Secret in it's Thick Winter Plumage...

This is as close as I can get to my gazebo... BUT all this Wonderful Snow is what is going to bring out the next photo in a few months... READY for a PEEK into summer? Scroll on!

"AHHHH!!! GREEN"!!! AND Just Look at all those pretty Smiling Faces!!!
Meanwhile back in reality! This is my front gate into my little courtyard...
Does One REALLY need color film for winter???
My topiary is awaiting spring and it's next batch of nestlings... For some reason, it's a favorite spot for feathered friends, as you will see in the next photo...
The first time a nest appeared in this topiary I thought someone PUT IT THERE to tease me... THEN the eggs appeared... These are American Robin eggs... The prettiest blue EVER!!!
Oh and here's my "Grandbirdies"... I had many a sleepless night until I got them all grown up!!!
"LOVE their little hairdos"!  Don't you just LOVE their little fluffy heads??? Such Perfection!!!
The view from my front guestroom... Do you see my topiary with it's branch sticking up in the air(I called it Alfalfa all summer. Do you remember him)??? WELL, This summer I "needed" to trim that ONE CRAZY BRANCH, and never did get to it! It's been haunting me all winter now!!! But in the snow, I think the tree looks like a "Hobbit Hut" and that crazy branch is its "Stove Pipe". What do you think???
I can't get around the house to take pictures "SO"... I opened up the Dutch Door Top on my Kitchen entry and snapped a few shots for you...
Poor little Birdie... I promise you, I cleaned him up after I let him warm up... THEN he was swung back into position on the Dutch door and bolted in... Before he followed me home I thought I would NEVER find the perfect knocker for this door... BUT one day, he&We met at a local garden center and it was Love at first sight...Now he "Sings" whenever I have company come to call at that door...
This is the tunnel out my front entry... Can you see my iron chairs embedded in the snow on both sides??? The snow walls are taller than I am... BUT it's kind of cozy in here!!!
Don't you just LOVE the Tall Snow Bonnets Mother Nature places on everything's head???
Here's a close up of one of the iron chairs... Do you see it???
This is what it will look like with a little Summer Serendipity...
The bottom of my blue spruce is buried ...Sleep Hollow Gardens are 6feet under...
"My Black Forest"...
Summer in My Black Forest...
The Chimney Gardens fast asleep... But in a few months
they will Smile in All Their Splendor...
Hurray!!! Some PINK so I can visit Beverly this week...
Yes... This is ALL totally buried and rejuvenating... So it may Erupt into the Rainbows of Spring...
And a little more PINK!!!
For Now Even the Gardeners are at Rest... It isn't long till So Much will need to be done... Some of the Fall Leaves will still need to be raked out of the gardens to allow the next Season to emerge... I LOVE the Seasons and how they are all so important to each other... I am a True New Englander!!! I Love My Life Here and I Love all of You Who Have Touched My Life So Dearly!!! "God Bless You All Sweet Friends"...

"GIVEAWAY"
Wow you MUST,MUST,MUST check out this generous giveaway From "Ginger the Sweetest Lady EVER"... 
http://savannahgranny.blogspot.com/



I'm LINKING To
http://iloveprettylittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/01/friday-pretties.html 


http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2011/01/show-and-tell-friday_20.html 


http://fishtailcottage.blogspot.com/2011/01/cottage-flora-thursdays-3.html 


http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.com/2011/01/white-wednesday-83.html 

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-so-it-begins-building-of-home.html 


http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2011/01/blue-monday-bluest-day-of-year.html 


http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/2011/01/show-off-your-cottage-monday_16.html 


http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2011/01/snow-dayseasonal-sunday-32.html 


http://bellavita-bellasblog.blogspot.com/ 


http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/01/pink-saturday-january-15-2011.html 



http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/2011/01/just-walking-around-snappin.html
 

77 comments:

Vintage Gal said...

Oh My Gosh! I thought we had snow in Ontario. You are buried!~ Love the Photos. Even though we are sick of snow they are still pretty and I agree with you, there is a season for everything. The Plants are sleeping so that they can emerge in Spring TRIUMPHANT!

Anonymous said...

Lovely Photos and the pops of spring were very welcome. Happy Pink Saturday.

Vintage Gal said...

Donna ~ thanks for stopping by ~ YES I am a new follower and I hope to see more of you!
(((Hugs)))
Marianne

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

GorGeous! thank you Donna ~ for sharing this with us today. HaPpY PS !!

Regina said...

Such an amazing scenes!
So refreshing!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Cheers.
Regina
" My Pink "

Kathleen said...

Did you send the 16 in we got across the Sound? :)
We lost power for 20 hours. It got pretty cold in here!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Your place is BEAUTIFUL! Have a blessed week. Debbie

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Oh wow, I really loved this post. All the snow makes your cottage even more charming and cozy. The grandbirdies were so sweet and adorable. It's great that you took care of them.

Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. Have a great weekend!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
You are truly living in a Winter wonderland these days! Your photos are just magical and what a beautiful post for Pink Saturday you've treated us to. Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Char said...

I think Old Man Winter is beautiful. He sure has given you some gorgeous scenery to admire each and every day. Looks like we also thru in a lot of work too.
I love your blog and am off to follow. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Verde Farm said...

Oh my gosh-honestly, you live in a real story book. I could look at your pictures all day. Those robin eggs are amazing but the little babies--WOW. I can’t wait to see your beautiful gardens this summer. It’s a magical place for sure!
Amy

Ricki Treleaven said...

Donna, this is such a lovely post. You truly live in a winter wonderland. The pictures are like something out of a fairy tale. I expect fairies to be flying around, or snow white to peak out from your dutch door. I can't wait to show these pictures to my thirteen year old daughter. She will love them, too!

Thanks so much!
xoxoxo,
Ricki Jill

Sharlotte said...

Hi Donna,
I always love visiting...your home is gorgeous in every season. We rarely have snow, and if so, it's about 1 inch and never sticks! Looking at your pictures is almost unbelievable! Have a great weekend!
Sharlotte

Unknown said...

G'day Donna ~ Wowzers! Lucky you with all that snow ... love spring & your 'grandbabies'.

Have a lovely PS weekend !
TTFN ~
Hugs, Marydon

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

I cannot IMAGINE having so much snow around me! Such beauty to behold....stunning pictures. I guess you truly are snowed in and what a wonderful time for reading and other comforting projects, along with a cup of something hot to drink.

Thanks for sharing,
Barb

Honey at 2805 said...

That's an amazing amount of snow. You live in a winter wonderland, literally. Your home and photography are beautiful and I will be watching as Spring emerges!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh that is so much snow. Your pictures are gorgeous, however I am sure you are really ready for it to melt and a little green to show up. Stay warm, this just makes me shiver to look at it all. Hugs, Marty

Keetha Broyles said...

I am a snow lover, and these pictures are just taking my breath away! It is a winter fairy wonderland!!! And your cottage, beautiful EVERY day, is simply at it's BEST in a white dress.

Wow!

Now - - - enjoy the warmth of a fire in the hearth, a jig saw puzzle on the go, a hot cup of cocoa or latte, and large bowls of chili smothered in cheese!!!!

FadenStille said...

Dear Donna, today here 14 C and it smells like spring, the birds are singing, It is spring, we want spring, lets celebrate spring and Donna lives "tojour" in Winter Wonderland", Isend you sun and a little kiss of spring from my hart.
Anett

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a magical place you live in. Thank you for the tour of your beautiful winter wonderland, I am truly looking forward to seeing more of your Spring and Summer gardens. Stay in, warm and safe. hugs ~lynne~

Debbie said...

Oh Donna you just took my breath away with this one!!! I know you must be freezing with all that snow, but from this side of the screen, it looks like a winter paradise!!

And I really loved those spring pictures with the nest and eggs and the grandbirdies. What great shots.

Magical I tell ya, just magical.

Custom Comforts said...

Unbelievable! So glad I don't live anywhere where it snows that much. I think I'd lose my mind and maybe our little daschund with all that snow. Love your pictures of summer and the baby birds. So hopeful that spring will yet come.
Cindy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Donna! I always love seeing pictures of your house in winter because it looks like a storybook cottage. SO pretty. I can't believe you are looking at that much snow. I had the AC on here yesterday. It got a little warm upstairs, and I decided I needed a break from the heater. ;-)

Just lovely. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

The extremes are amazing and the snow is so beautiful...I can say that of course because as I sit here and type it is about 68 degrees outside...but not nearly as dramatic and lovely.(-:

Julie Marie said...

Hello Donna... how beautiful it all looks... I love seeing a peek into your Spring gardens, especially those precious little blue eggs and then the baby robins!... I so love Nature and spend most of my time out amongst it... your blog is just beautiful!... xoxo Julie Marie

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful winter wonderland pictures, Donna. I enjoyed them along with the pretty spring pictures! The nest, eggs and baby robins are so cute!! I hope some of the snow melts before you get hit again!

XO,
Jane

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Oh my goodness. That's a ton of snow.

<3, New Follower

Marilyn said...

That is a cute "Hobbit House" and your snow reminds me of living in the mountains of Colorado for four years when I first started teaching. I do hope you have a slope for all the snow melt so you don't have mud forever! ♥♫

Cass @ That Old House said...

I have snow envy! We didn't get nearly these amounts of snowfall in NJ -- Clearly Connecticut hogged all the good stuff!

Fabulous pictures ... but my favorite? The baby birds! Those hairdos!
Cass

acorn hollow said...

just lovely pictures my spring bulbs are patiently waiting for sping also. we got about 14 inches so you win the snow totals.
Cathy

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your visit. I've come by to look at all your snow. When I see your pictures, I realize how little we got. But here in the South we are not accustomed to snow that stays around for days. Can't wait to see your garden when it arouses from it's winter sleep. I'll be back!!

Blessings,
Kathy

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Donna: You live in a fairy tale. Even in the Winter your home is beautiful. I love everything about it. You are truely blessed. Blessings, Martha

Lori Lynn said...

Oh. those grandbirdies of yours are precious!!!
*´¨)
¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
(¸.*´ (¸.*´* Lori Lynn *

Anonymous said...

Donna,
What beautiful pictures! I can't believe all that snow!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Donna - you see I KNEW I wanted to be snowbound in your cottage! We haven't had snow since right after Christmas and I was out of town! That is such "marshmallowey" snow -- I think it is fabulous. Joni

The Tablescaper said...

I can't believe how much snow you have... and yet the wonders of electric and the internet bring you into our homes. Your home always looks so idyllic and just so much more so covered in nature's blanket (OK, in your case it's more like a huge down comforter, LOL!).

Thank you for bringing all of your whiteness to Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Donna!

I'm baaaaaaaack! ;-)

Just buzzing by to wish you a Happy Seasonal Sunday.

Thanks for the techno advice. Got it earlier!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of the movie, Dr. Zhivago, I bet you are staring to think..will this ever end! Amazing snow there!!!

Savannah Granny said...

This is breathtaking. Looks like a fairy cottage. I have never actually seen snow that deep.
I am your newest follower. I want to see this in Spring and Summer.
Please pop over to see me I am having a giveaway.
Ginger

Infatuated with Homes and Gardens said...

Oh My ,how beautiful ,just like a fairytale,
~Sharon~

Unknown said...

What a lot of snow you have Donna. Here on the Nebraska prairie, we tend to get super cold but not necessarily too much snow....we have about a foot now. I love all the photos of your lovely home it looks enchanted covered in all that snow.

Last spring we had grand-robins too. Nested right outside my front door in a hanging planter -- among the pansies :)

Blessings!
Gail

Scribbler said...

I lived in Colorado for a couple of years, and I have never seen snow like this. Now that I am back in Alabama, this makes ours look pretty ridiculous, considering that the entire area shuts down, schools and everything. Your place is breathtaking!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Thank you every one!!! You are all So Sweet...
PLEASE Check out the WONDERFUL GIVEAWAY that "SAVANNAH GRANNY" is having!!! I posted a button on my sidebar...Or go HERE
http://savannahgranny.blogspot.com/
Thank you for having such a generous Giveaway!!!

Maggie said...

Donna,
As much as I adore your cottage and the wonderful snow scenes outside that gorgeous door, I can't wait to see your summer garden revealed once again.
Love those robin nestlings.

Diann said...

OMG Donna! these are absolutely gorgeous photos!! And all the summer teases are stunning!

Sue said...

Well, your home is so suited for that snowy look...but, this is a bit much. It is gorgeous, but that looks really heavy on the roof. I hope it doesn't cave in! I think I will quit complaining about our 7 inches or so!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Donna, your home and your gardens are so charming in the snow! Well, they are charming any time of the year, but this looks like a winter fairy land. I also love the way you described the snow, and yes, that does look like the chimney of a hobbit house! Loved your photos of the birds nest, eggs, and babies too. Beautiful post! Thank you for linking it to Favorite Things. laurie

Kay Ellen said...

Oh my goodness~~ a true cottage in a winter wonderland!!
Amazing photos :))

I am so glad you stopped by...happy to meet you :))

Happy Pink Saturday Donna!

Warm Blessings coming your way!

Smiling,
Kay Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! Oh, my goodness! Look at all of your snow! Your home is gorgeous sitting there all covered with snow! Love it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bohemian said...

OMG, your Snow covered Cottage looks like a scene right out of a Thomas Kinkade Painting! And the photo of those precious baby birds is simply amazing!!!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Donna,

Can't get over the amount of snow you got! We've worked in Connecticut and even at the time there was snow but not as much as yours...
Have you checked out my 925/000 silver angel giveaway? That is till January 25 so come over and click on the button at the top to the right, that will take you to the action!

Have a great week and stay warm.

Mariette

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Donna,
I is so amazing to see that much snow. I think, it is besides its beauty a bit difficult to life there. Isn't it amazing to imagine that at one time all the snow will have gone and all is green again and little birds came and hatch their youngs? But the winter photos are so pretty with all the clean and untouched snow surface. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Greetings, Johanna

Jo Potter said...

Hi Donna,
Thank you for stopping by at my blog place. It's really good to meet you. :-)
Wow... You have a very beautiful home. It looks like it should be in a Arthur Rackham illustration, with fairies living in the cottage.
Please can I add this site to my creative blog list?
I will follow you if you would like to follow me too! :-)
Thank you for sharing your wonderful wintry photos.
All the best for 2011.
Jo May.

SmilingSally said...

Brr... better you than me.

Happy Blue Monday, Donna. Stay warm.

Gloria said...

Beautiful photos of the snow, BUT the ones of the baby birds are out of this world! Oh, how precious!! (It even looks like the one on the left has his/her little arm around the other one!!)
Best,
Gloria

nannykim said...

Beautiful pics and what contrasts in the seasons, eh?

Anonymous said...

I experience snow only a couple of times a year and am so enchanted by it. I'm sure it's not without inconvenience, but it sure is beautiful to look at, and your views are a true winter wonderland.

CIELO said...

This is so very beautiful.... and you have a 'real' forest too! A forest where you can always go to dream! ;) Just lovely! Thanks for participating in Show Off Your Cottage Monday and bringing us here!

Cielo

Dorincard said...

Donna, you have a great blog (as if you don't know already)! The high-res photos are superb. Which reminds me of a joke:
"- You have nice kids, as I just met them!
- Ah, that's nothing! You should see how nice they look in photos!!!"

Your photos reflect the nice reality around you, winter and all. Kettle, too. That's key.
Lovely cottage - I foresee a lot of other nice things in your family's world.
Twain also said: "I don't let school INTERFERE with my education!!!"

We could make great maximum cards and personalized stamps with some of your images.
I'll visit your blog again!
:)

Shel said...

One word! MAGNIFICENT! I'm going to be your newest follower too! I've never seensnow like that....keep warm
Shel from South Africa

Donna said...

Oh wow! Now that is alot of snow! Your house looks like part of a fantasy land with all of those drifts, it really is pretty! And I also love your gorgeous yard in the spring and summer, especially those sweet baby robins! How adorable!! Keep warm & cpzy:)

Jeannie B. said...

I love your views. And it really gave me an enlarged idea of what I was seeing with the Snow and Spring pictures of the same place. Thankyou!

oldgreymare said...

WOW! Cannot say more, think that covers it!

Robin babies. I remember from years in PA : D

xx
z

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
I know I am late commenting on this post, but Wow hands down this is my favorite White Wednesday!! The is pure fairytale cottage magic, I am so delighted by it you have no idea:-)))) and to think all the lovely garden is sleeping beneath, perfect!! Lucky You!!
I am so glad you found the birdie darling graphic, isn't it pretty? The Graphics Fairy has the prettiest things:-))
Stay Warm!
Bella

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

This is so beautiful. I'm sure it's difficult to manage, but it is gorgeous. Your home looks so snug and warm though, so maybe it's not too bad.

Mandy Saile said...

Oh My some beautiful shots...thanks for sharing. Your home is so wonderful, espeacially under all that snow.

Kristen said...

I love how your house looks with the snow. SO much, but so fun....as long as you are safe and warm.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Oh those little birdies are adorable! Wat a fabulous post! xoox
thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursdays....

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

The winter sure looks pretty in your area. Thanks for stopping by, T

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. We are getting snow every couple of days here as well. I love it and enjoy it as much as my kids. The picture of the baby birds is so cute.
Have a great day.
CareyAnn

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven said...

Oh! Beautiful! I love the nest, what a lovely present from the Robins :)Your newest follower, ~*~ Wendy ~*~

Anonymous said...

Enchanting and I do mean Enchanting, Donna, from the little birds, to the blankets of snow, thank you for my outing today in Conn. Blessings Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

Sarah said...

Donna, thanks for sending me the link. I had missed this wonderland post. I'm in awe of such scenes. I've never lived outside of TX except for a winter in NYC. We had lots of snow that year, but it's different in the city. Your home looks like it is right at home in this environment. Thanks for showing the contrast photos. Such fun!
Stay warm, dear friend. ~ Sarah

Simple Home said...

What beautiful winter views. It's like a bit of Narnia there...so pretty!
Blessings,
Marcia

Audrey Pettit said...

Love the views of your winter wonderland!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Hello! Your pictures are so Beautiful! I love the mixture of wionter and summer. PRETTY! Thank you so much for joining my Friday Pretties. When I saw the picture of the baby birds I couldn't wait to see what else was in your blog. I wasn't disappointed!
Have a Wonderful and Wintery Weekend,
Joyce

Lisa said...

Your pictures are simply gorgeous! I don't particularly like winter, I'm a summertime gal for sure! We did get about 4 inches of snow here in Mississippi a few weeks ago, which is about an every 10 yr occurence here, and we all went crazy having loads of fun. A couple of days of it is enough for me. Can't deny, though, you property looks like a winter wonderland! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower and look forward to visiting again soon!