CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Remembering my Blessings at Easter

Easter and Spring brings LOTS of "Bunnies, Eggs, Chocolate and Very Sweet Memories" to mind...
Lots and Lots of the Cutest Faces in their Easter Bonnets!
A Coffee and Crumpet will be "Ever So Much" Better in my "Hareloom Pottery"...Oh and How I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE German paper mache eggs! Is it possible to have too many of them? "NO, I think not"!!!  Have I told you before how much I LOVE "Crackle and Crazing"???
I have 2 antique carved lunch pails from Finland... They are the perfect size for holding biscuits... The bunnies are hanging out in hopes of "crumbs"...They saw me baking them and had the idea BECAUSE the cookies were shaped like carrots they would taste like carrots(WRONG, they are almond shortbread)... OK, I'm sure they will be munching on the apples, that are dotting the table, as soon as I leave the room...
This lunch pail is still stained it's original blue... My antique/vintage chocolate molds have followed me home for "Years"... I love everything about them and they seem to all have personalities all their own... If you choose to visit me at Conghaile Cottage often, you will see these sweet silver celebrities "Showing Off" in the oddest of places... There is never a dull moment here...
Now for my "Happy Dancing Surprise"... Donna@ "Brynwood Needleworks" hosts a memorable party on the last Monday of each month called "Memories Monday"...Donna and I have found we have LOTS in common right down to "We were both born the same year" AND although I came from a family of only 4, when Hubby and I got married we had 3 boys SO "There were Five in the Family!!! This book "Five in the Family" was a gift from Donna's giveaway at "Brynwood Needleworks" 
This is one of my FAVORITE Hankies from my Trunk of Bounty... It was very well loved and I so enjoy picturing all the tears and sniffles it may have cured in it's day... Clocks being one of my Very Favorite things combined with a vintage hankie "HAS to be Priceless"!  These vintage linens have endued so much in their lifetime. My Mom used to wash clothes with an old "Maytag Wringer Washer"... I cannot look at old linens without thinking of Mom doing her wash and then hanging it out to dry. My Job was to hand her cloths pins... I don't really know if it helped her or slowed her down because I would have them ALL CLIPPED together in one long stick thingy. Our dogs job was to lay on top of the laundry piles on the kitchen floor and keep them toasty warm till Mom was ready for that pile. It must have been a VERY IMPORTANT job because I used to see her pat him on the head and tell him he was a "Good Boy"...
Oh Donna! Thank you SO MUCH for this book. It brought me back to my childhood and the "Love that surrounded my life"... It is such a cute book of early learning and family bonding... See Donna's beautiful postcard there on the left? She is "SO TALENTED"!!! I love everything she makes, not to mention how inspirational she is! If you haven't met her You Must go visit her and see all her goodies "HERE"... The little "Shoe House" vase I have had for YEARS. It followed me home from a yard sale one day and it's just "So Darn Cute". I seem to think that all those little"Who's that live on the Dust Speck" in Whoville could live quite comfortably in there...
This little Sweetie is one of Hildegard Gunzel's girls with her Brother Bear... She is showing off her new Easter Outfit... Do you remember when you were little, getting a new outfit for Easter??? AND that special spring coat... My very favorite spring coat was a woven yellow one that had big pearl buttons. "I LOVED that coat and felt so grown up and special in it"... Oh and don't forget the gloves! We always wore gloves to Sunday Mass. I had gorgeous stretchy lace ones...
I was going to read to her BUT she insisted that she do the reading...
Brother Bear is learning about "New Shoes" ... The book doesn't tell of all the blisters of new shoes in youth.(at least that's MY Memories of them) "OUCH! I'm more of a barefoot and saddles type gal! "We Hope all our Friends in The Beautiful Land of Blog are having a "Blessed Holy Week"... "Love & Hugs to you All"!!!

"I'm Linking To"
"Memory Lane Monday@Brynwood Needleworks"
"A few of my favorite things@Bargain Hunting"
"Show and Tell Friday@My Romantic Home"
"Home Sweet Home Friday@The Charm of Home"
"Vintage Inspiration EASTER Friday@Common Ground"
"Friday Pretties@I Love Pretty Little Things"
"Thrifty Things Friday@The Thrifty Groove"
" Feathered Nest Friday@French Country Cottage"
"Open House@No Minimalist Here"
"Tablescape Thursday@Between Naps on the porch"
"Treasure Hunt Thursday@Blue Creek Home"
"Teddy Bear Picnic@The House on the Side of the Hill"
"Vintage Thingie Thursday@Colorado Lady"
"WOW US WEDNESDAY@SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE
"Easter&Spring@A Holiday Haven

63 comments:

Sue said...

I just want to jump into your pictures and "be there" for a while. It looks like such a peaceful place to be...and there are evidently cookies to be found! I love everything about this...I also had a yellow coat to match my dress one year for Easter!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Donna, I wish we were neighbors so I could visit your vignettes. They are all so special! I love the Hareloom *giggles* Pottery. It is great! Thanks for another memorable post.

(((hugs))),
Ricki Jill

Blondie's Journal said...

You have the nicest, sweetest treasures and I love visiting to see them. All of your vignettes tell a story! I love it!

Have a wonderful week, Donna!

XO,
Jane

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sweet post Donna. I love your bunnies, and all your vintage Easter things. Your doll is beautiful. You just took me on a sentimental journey and I am posting tomorrow about my Easter memories too. Have a blessed Easter. Pamela

Lois Evensen said...

I just love that doll. :)

C'est moi Claudette said...

Donna, that is the SWEETEST little girl doll and bear I have EVER seen, right down to the little wee book. How cute is that?
Your table is also very pretty.
We are also 5. One girl, two boys. See we both have 3 ; )
Happy Tuesday
Love Claudette
xoxoxo

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

what a sweet post. Love your chocolate molds!

The Tablescaper said...

Donna:

So beautiful. Wonderful celebratio of Easter.

- The Tablescaper

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Donna,

How wonderful to have such an extensive collection of chocolate molds and papier mâché eggs from Germany! Great post, also the childhood stories shared. Indeed we did all get dressed our 'Easter' best... even if it was causing you goosebumps.

Lots of love,

Mariette

Dawn said...

I had to laugh about the clothes pins all stuck together. Sometimes that's the hardest part for a mom, requiring the kids "help" even though it's quicker with out them! I think those moments doing everyday things are some of the best childhood memories.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello dea Donna,
I could read and browse hours in your post and would find always something new. The pictures and storys are so special to me. Yes, I felt also, that both Donna's have so many in common. What a blessed friendship. Thank you for your thoughtful posts, which I always love.
Best Esterwishes and a big hug, Johanna

Lynn said...

What a great setting Donna! Lovin' your amazing candy molds... you don't have a pig hiding out there do you? Happy Easter, have fun:@)

Debbie said...

Just this minute, I realized what it is that I love best about your blog. It's that every post has a vintage storybook feel to it.

I loved scrolling through slowly to see all these beautiful treasures. I think that even more, I loved the memories you gave me of my grandmother and her wringer washer and a long chain of clothes pins.

Such a wonderful visit this morning. I don't tell you often enough how much I love this blog. My sister and I were talking about you yesterday in fact!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I love the whole tablescape, but my eyes kept jumping to the placesetting of china with the bunnies. They have a wonderful "arts & crafts" feel to them!!!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Donna:
Thank you for including me in your beautiful post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, as I took my time looking at all your beautiful images.

Happy Easter week, my friend.
Love and hugs,
Donna L.
xoxo

Sue said...

This vignette makes me feel as if I've been transported back in time, Donna. The doll, the chocolate molds, the hanky~ it's all so ethereal... I was just telling the husband yesterday how I always got a new Easter outfit- down to the matching shoes and hat. I hated wearing hats! But of course, you had to cover your head for mass. I couldn't wait to get out of the building so I could rip it off. Those elastic bands that went under your chin to hold the hat steady sure did dig in, didn't they? LOL
My most vivid memory is of a red coat, a red brimmed hat, and matching red patent leather Mary Janes. High fashion! LOL Have a Happy Easter! ~ Sue

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Another lovely setting you have created, my dear. Nice new header, too. I hope you have a blessed Easter! Cheers

Marlis said...

Your blog post just blessed my week! New shoes = ouch.. Yes i remember those days. I love all your pretties. The face on the doll is so sweet. Your bunnies are precious too. and the chocolate molds.. oh my.. there is a "mean" store in Santa Fe. They display those treasures but they are not for sale! Be blessed and have a beautiful Easter!

Coloradolady said...

adorable post, the dolls are so sweet, and love how your pictures look, very neat vintage flare. Happy VTT!

Sheila said...

I always enjoy your posts , the displays are incredible.

Kathleen said...

What a lovely post! You have such beautiful unique things! The dolls are adorable!
Happy Easter from the other Connolly!

Diann said...

Such a fun Easter vignette Donna! It looks wonderful wit all you fantastic details.

Karen said...

I am very excited to see all your wonderful Easter collection. Such beautiful pieces. Love the display you have made. You have collected such a wide range of items and they look wonderful together!

Unknown said...

Your pictures are wonderful. You must have had a lot of fun putting them together and writing out the captions. Thanks for taking the time to bless us tonight!

HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
Sarah

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful display as always. I love the chocolate moulds and furry bunny.

Sarah said...

Donna, it's always a treat to see what you have to share. That precious doll with her bear almost looks real. She is gorgeous. Love the vintage details. I have a few pieces of Dedham pottery. It would be fun to have a set of these dishes. Love the crackle finish and the bunny border.
Happy Easter! ~ Sarah

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Donna, you've done another splendid post! I just love your heirloom china, it's so different and pretty. Beautiful doll and bunnies. I love all you details, specially the vintage, your post is a treat to the eyes! I love it! If you want to come by just go streight to Fabby's Living as i tried so much to link to TST at BNOTP, but just didn't work!
Happy Easter pretty lady for you and yours.
FABBY

xinex said...

Your vignettes are so beautiful, Donna. I love all the vintage looking items. Your photos are amazing!..Christine

Melody said...

Another truly beautiful post. Your vignettes are amazing. Thank you so much for linking to Tuesday Treasures. Have a wonderful Easter.

Miss Char said...

This is a beautiful table, all your elements blend together so beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing your table today. Happy Easter.

Kathy said...

Lovely treasures - it is so nice to find Kindred Spirits -what a delightful book - I loved buying Easter dresses for my little girls! The doll reminds me of a collection my sister has -I think she'll be ready to part with them -I'll adopt them!~
Hope you have a very blessed Easter,
Kathy

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

I love your vignettes!! I have a feeling if I was ever at your house - I would embarrass myself by walking around with my mouth hanging open and saying WOW a lot!

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Donna! What a treasure your post is. I love everything and especially that sweet hankie! Wishing you and your family a Blessed Easter.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

LadyV said...

Love, love, love this post...As always, your images warm my heart and make me smile.

Happy Easter

Marigene said...

Beautiful vignette...love the chocolate molds.
Happy Easter, Donna!

Blue Creek Home said...

This is a magical post and I am so glad you shared it at Treasure Hunt Thursday.
The old lunch pails are to die for, as is all of your antique molds and German eggs, and I love crazing too!!
The doll is the sweetest ever.
You brought back funny memories of Easter dresses, white gloves, white hats, even ruffles on our little panties! And, we can't forget the little turned down ruffled socks.
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Ok.. my first time here....and I am in love... what gorgeous pieces you have!
Your photos etc.. to die for!
Have a wonderful weekend and Holiday!
Smiles
Cricket

Tess said...

Such a lovely vignette! Do you use your chocolate molds? Everthing is so charming!! Your "hareloom" china is so adorable!

Happy Easter!

Susan said...

Oh I so love your Easter vignettes! The warm browns and taupes you use in your displays takes my breath away!

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Hi Donna,
What a wonderful post! Such beautiful pieces and photographed superbly!
Thanks so much for visiting me today and enjoying my artwork!
I'm happy to be your new follower!!
Barb

lvroftiques said...

You are so darn talented! I felt transported to a magical place! Happy Easter! Vanna

Jacqueline said...

Such beautiful treasure you have. I adore your vintage chocolate molds. I have 2 that a sweet friend gave me. She bought them from an ice cream shop and decided she wanted some herself and went back to get more and they said they weren't for sale! I love all of your collections, everything just creates such a warm vignette.

bj said...

Oh, Donna, you do have such a sweet gift of making us feel special..special to be able to come here, hear cute stories, see awesome treasures and wonderful photos.
Enjoyed this post so much.

Entertaining Women said...

I climbed into this magical vignette and lingered for a while. Thank you for the respite. The real secret behind French Limoges is the clay, kaolin, that comes only from that region in France and is the reason that Limoges chinas have that bright white translucence. The American Limoges was made by Sebring, and went by a number of different names. Some of the American Limoges can be quite valuable, and a couple of their patterns are considered as some of the best of American China designs. Try copying and pasting this site: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=american+limoges,+history&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=american+limoges,+history&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9e3eea5a43277d52&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=11&rls=en&tbs=tl:1 Cherry Kay

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Donna~ what a lovely sweet post! I love hearing your stories and seeing your beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing at FNF~ Happy Easter! :)

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, there was a lot to love in this post! I love, love Dedham pottery with the bunnies! I also love your vintage molds. I also had a little coat and bonnet ensemble for Easter as a child. We used to really dress up for Easter even gloves and pocket books at the age of three! LOL Just wonderful Donna! Have a lovely Easter! Thanks for linking it up!
Sherry

La Vie Quotidienne said...

So pretty. I love, love the dishes with the bunnies and this little doll is especially georgous. Such a lovely vignette. Have a wonderful holiday.

Diann said...

Thanks for joining me for TTF! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!

Savannah Granny said...

Beautiful post as usual. I love all your vintage treasures. I know I must be older that you but I remember my mom doing laundry with the wringer washer. On rare occasions, I was allowed to hold a garment as it went through the wringers. I hated "breakin in" shoes. You are so right, I felt like it was my feet that got broken in. Hugs, Ginger

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love your beautiful dolls! Your decor is so warm and cozy! Enjoy your weekend! ♥

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Hi again Donna,

Forgot to mention that if you see one of my paintings listed, but it's not the size you want, you can convo me to let me know which you'd prefer. It's easily arranged. Also, for multiple items in your order, I'll give you a special price.

Happy Easter to you and your family,
Barb

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thanks for coming by and leaving me such lovely and so generous comments my pretty friend, I relly appreciate your warmth and sincerity very much and I do wish you a wonderful Easter Sunday for you and all your dearest family.
PS: I'm loving that adorable big eye doll... is she an antique doll?!
XOXO
FABBY

Babs said...

Donna, all your vignettes are gorgeous and your stories to accompany them... wonderful. I remember my mom and her Maytag washing machine and hanging clothes on the line.
Your "little visitor" with her Brother Bear is just the cutest. I love the big bows in her hair and of course the precious expression on her face.
Wishing you a blessed Easter,
Hugs,
Babs

Susan Hemann said...

Wonderful photos! I remember getting a new dress, hat, shoes and coat for Easter Sunday Mass. I am a hat and glove lover, always have been. My grandmother wore hats all the time.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Donna, What a beautiful and creative display for Easter. I love the chocolate molds and the paper mache eggs. Everything is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing this at my party.

I hope you have a blessed and happy Easter.
Hugs,
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Donna! Wonderful details.

Tea in Texas said...

I think your fairy tale home needs a fairy tale Easter setting with bunnies, dolls, and bears! I am loving this post for I see some things that I have .... like the little bucket(from my Mother, 88 years of age) and a teapot in the blue bunny pattern. Your story is so endearing and yes I remember my Easter dress and new Spring coat,which my Mother made. You are so creative and thank you for sharing and bringing back those wonderful memories of yours.

acorn hollow said...

such wonderful treasures I always enjoy my visit, happy Easter
cathy

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love, love, love all your bunny decorations. Especially those eggs! Oh my gosh are they incredible.
Love Donna at Brynwood too. She is so fabulous and such a dearheart.
xx, shell

Marta Mangos said...

Happy Easter, my friend:))
Love and hugs:))

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, as always, your vignettes are so inviting and pretty. That doll is gorgeous, and your bunnies are so pretty. I LOVE that vintage hankie! The lunch boxes are such treasures. But, the wonderful part of visitiing you is seeing the way you combine your pretties to make such wonderful vignettes. Thank you for linkiing to Favorite Things. laurie

Rettabug said...

How very wonderful to see all your treasures, Donna! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your German paper mache eggs!

Congratulations on winning over at BNOTP!!

fondly,
Rett

Sweet European Dreams said...

hi Donna. Thanks so much for stopping by my page today, and especially for following! I'm already following you! LOVE this sweet Easter post. I ran across a bunch of paper mache eggs today at an antiques market, but I didn't buy them...I left them there for someone else to collect. It was a tough decision, but it probably saved my marriage! -diane http://www.sweeteuropeandreams.com