CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, May 30, 2011

Tartans, Shortbread, & Short Stories of The Scottish Highlands...

Lovely Sarah @ Hyacinths for the Soul had a giveaway, a while back, and I was the lucky winner!!! She sent me this Darling Shortbread tin that looks  just like a kilt. LOVE it in it's tartan finest, but there are no signs of the goodies that it contained, but I can assure you "They were DELICIOUS"!!! The antique iron nodder bank has been in my family for-e-ver! Mom had taken him to retire with them to Florida but he didn't like the heat SO he came home with me... His original paint is still wonderful and you can even see the tartan plaid in his kilt...
The tartan cloth is also a gift from Sweet Sarah... I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the colors in it and plan to keep it ONLY for the "Most Special of Occasions"!!! Wouldn't a tablecloth be GORGEOUS in that tartan? The little ceramic "Highland Cattle" followed one of my sons home from a trip we made to the Scottish Highlands(One of our favorite places on Earth)...
My tree peonies had a very hard winter with the heft of the snow. I wasn't sure if I would see any flowers this year. I am VERY Happy to report that they will be fine and here are some of their smiling faces...Their flowers are impressively HUGE. They remind me of Big Floppy Garden Hats! So Pretty and they smell divine.
The little antique iron "Pot of Gold" is a $1 thrift find of mine. Of course it was coin-less at the time it hopped in my car...All the change is part of a large collection I have from all my travels in Europe... We would weave in and out of countries so quickly I never got used to the money, "THEREFORE" my pockets got heavier and heavier. When I would make a purchase I would hand out my paper money and add to the silver weight I was gaining. One trip gave me 12 countries jingling in my pockets. There is "Nothing" like a bucket of loose foreign change all mixed together that will make you feel like a little kid again, trying to figure out how many quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies equal a dollar...
The teacup trio today is "Shelley Heather". How appropriate this is for the beauty of the Scottish Highlands...I fell in love with heather after seeing it's endless fields growing in the highlands as far as your eye could see. When the wind blew it looked like a sea of orchid waves. Yes, when I came home "I did plant heather". I also found out that not only WE love it, the deer find it irresistible..The little wood-carved Scot is hand carved by Donald Corr in the village of Tomintoul... When we met him he was working on chess sets. Oh how I wish I could have brought one of those home! My sons each adopted one of his little characters...
 Scottish Highlands Heather... I visited many weavers in my journeys... I would buy yardages of favorite patterns of tartans and tweeds to use in my future decor. I also bought lots of knitted sweaters and woven jackets with horn buttons. Timeless treasures of memories that will never be forgotten. We traveled every inch of this beautiful land and always chose to stay in the B&Bs. I LOVE the people as much as their land and we always chose to be as near to them as possible.
Lots and Lots of Highland Flings going on here... AND... a group of the cutest little "Harmony Kingdom Scotty Dogs"
Sarah, I wish I had "Hyacinths Blooming for this post"... I can never look at one and not think of you... Thank you again for my new treasures...
If you would like to peek at "WHY" I have damage in my gardens and "WHY" I am tickled "PINK" to have all these beautiful faces smiling at me("PLUS" I have my many shades of PINK PEONIES for Beverly this week)... You may venture into my Winter "HERE"... AND... if that is NOT enough there is "MORE HERE"... Before you go, you MAY need a warm cup of tea or java though AND I'm warning you now, "It's COLD"!!!
Drink in all the sweet fragrance of my tree peonies. Just "Bee" careful of the little guy buzzing in and out of the flowers! "He may tickle your nose"!!! NOW you "MUST" go visit Sarah@Hyacinths For The Soul but You first may want to pour yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee for the enjoyable journey. "You are going to love Her Dearly like I do"...AND please give her a HUG from me when you visit!!!



 "Oh My Goodness" I just discovered the most GORGEOUS Giveaway Going on right now!!! I just had to share this with you AND You must hurry over to enter

I'm Linking to...
"Pink Saturday@How Sweet the Sound"
"Home Sweet Home@The Charm of Home"
"Vintage Inspiration Friday@Common Ground"
"Feathered Nest Friday@French Country Cottage"
"Friday Pretties@I Love Pretty Little Things"
"Show and Tell Friday@My Romantic Home"
"TableScape Thursday@Between Naps on the Porch"
"Thrifty Thursday@Tales from Bloggeritaville"
"Treasure Hunt Thursday@Blue Creek Home"
"Vintage Thingy Thursday@Colorado Lady"
"Teacup Tuesday@Martha's Favorites"
"Tuesday Treasures@The House on the Side of the Hill"
"Table Top Tuesday@A Stroll Thru Life"
"Tea Time Tuesday@Rose Chintz Cottage"

52 comments:

Karen said...

Wonderful post! Great pictures. I would loved trip to Scotland someday.
Have a super week!
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Gayla said...

What a beautiful post. I loved it... I have been to Scotland only in my soul, but I think it looks wonderful... Thanks for the vicarious journey.

Terra said...

This post is lovely and took me away to visit the highlands, Scotty dogs and tree peonies. Loved it. Your photos are excellent, by the way, so crisp and clear.

Richard Cottrell said...

I hear that Scotland is very beautiful? I wish I could go some day. Thanks for sharing. Richard at My Old Historic House

Honey at 2805 said...

Your posts are always stunning and delicious!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I *LOVE* this post! :D I love all things Scottish. Sarah is so sweet....love her....

When I went to college @ Balliol @ Oxford, I went to Scotland almost every weekend as I got out of class every Thursday by 10 AM. I want to take my girls so badly! But we might visit Ireland instead this summer.

Lynn said...

Congrats on winning Sarah's give-away Donna! Great pics, love your tea cup! Glad the tree peonies are doing well, it WAS a rough winter! Happy Memorial Day:@)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Wonderfu Donna...this is a great post, thanks for sharing it with us! I always loved the idea of Scottland, Irland and of course England, like a complete trip! I've been to Eng. twice, but not the neighbors! You're so lucky too, congrats on Sarah's give away! Your tea cup is sooo pretty, beautiful peonies, hon. You've shown us beautiful photos too! Hope you visit my Pink Tablescape!
Love
FABBY

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tree peonies! Great pictures, Donna!

Jeannette said...

Hello from the Carmel Highlands of California...did you not save one shortbread? really? Oh dear, a girl after my own heart.

Sarah said...

Donna, this is absolutely wonderful! Thank you for all the kind and thoughtful comments. You have me blushing.
What cute little hankies. You have the most wonderful collection of things with which to create amazing vignettes. This is like a painting! Thank you for sharing this gift with such charm and creativity.
Hugs to you ~ Sarah

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Donna, your post is simply wonderful! I adore shortbread and tartan and everything Scottish. Your tea cup trio is lovely as are the fields of heather! I have never been to Scotland but I do dream about it. Spectacular photos, my friend. Most of all, your peonies are exquisite. Oh, I do love them! They are among my very favourites. Thank you for sharing your delightful post with us at Tea Time. Surely, soon all our Blogger woes will be over. Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Marlis said...

Donna this is a wonderful post. The tin couldn't have gone to anyone who would have appreciated it more than you. Your peonies are wonderful, it's all the nourishment the snow provided! xo marlis

a quiet life said...

another fabulous moment in time with you :)

Melody said...

Thank you so much for linking in with Tuesday Treasures. Your blog is so wonderful and every post more and more beautiful. I love the Scottish flavor today, especially those little highland terriers.

Becky said...

What a wonderful trip to Scotland. I have only been once, and would LOVE to go back. You pulled everything together so well.

Becky

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Lovely post, Donna! Oh how I would love to visit Scotland...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

The flowers are stunning! I am glad they survived. My hubby is a big lover of the Scottish Shortbread yummy Lovely cups to. Dxx

xinex said...

You are such a good photographer, Donna. Your pictures are always amazing and I just love your accessories. Just gorgeous!..Christine

Pattie Tierney said...

I LOVE this vignette! Such wonderful pieces, and that shortbread tin is fantastic!

Sheila said...

I always enjoy a visit to your blog , your photgraphy is beautiful and all of your treasures are too!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fantastic vignette. Love the scotch plaid and all of your accessories. The pictures are stunning. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Your peonies are gorgeous...Great description of them being like large floppy party hats!!! Lovely pictures!!! Love the tartan plaid!!!

Terri said...

Donna, you have created such a delightful post! I have enjoyed all your Scottish treasures as well as your beautiful Shelley "heather" tea cup. The tree Peony flowers are just stunning! I am so glad they did not suffer permanent damage from the winter.
Hugs,
Terri

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
you make such wonderful posts. Sarah's giveaway is really beautiful and I am sure it contains delicious goodies. And it is in your house on the very right place! Your trree peonies are so gorgeous. The petals look so dainty and the colors are like silk. I would love to be a Bee! And the little Scotties are so cute. You own so many nice things and you always know how to present them in the best way.
Best greetings, Johanna

P.S. The "Hawaiian" plate is really carved from Mother of pearl. I bought two different patterns of those plates on ebay. But nobody really knew where they were made. Hawaii is just a guess.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow,this is such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing with us glimpses of Scotland... I heard so many wonderful stories about Scotland... would love to visit someday. Your photography is amazing and I loved your gorgeous peonies and the fields of heather... so enchanting. Dropping in from Marty's TTT. Have a great week!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Michelle Ridgway said...

As i have scottish ancestry I loved your post and especailly the cute highland terriers

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Donna: Your post is so beautiful. Do you take pictures professionally? They are always so stunning and they tell a story. Thank you for your kind words about my Website. You know what it means to me. I have you have a wonderful week. You are the best! Hugs, Martha

Kathleen said...

Sarah is such a sweetheart!

I think the rhodies liked all the snow we had this year, they are magnificent this year. I had some shrub damage from so much snow on them for so long. And now May is over already! Why doesn't February fly by as quickly!
You are ahead of us with your peonies. Mine are not open yet!

Anonymous said...

Just love the Harmony Kingdom Scotty Dogs! They remind me of my two Scotties! Lovely photos.
Tammy

Christie said...

What a fun win for you..filled with vintage treasures...love the little doggie... I'd love to visit Scotland
Q~

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing photos and color so alive it made me feel so happy. Nothing like color to boost up the tired joints and muscles. It is nearing my bed time here and I so enjoyed this post. blessings
QMM

Blue Creek Home said...

Great post and beautiful photos. You were the perfect person for Sarah's giveaway.
How I wish I had flowers like that in my yard.

Thanks for linking to THT.
Rhonda

Motherkitty said...

I would love to visit Scotland before I die. (Doubt I will get to. ;-( ) I have wanted to go since I was a child. It looks so beautiful and lush, rich in history, etc.

I'm delighted you won the giveaway. How awesome! The cookie tin is delightful! The other pieces you pictured are amazing as well. It filled me with a wonderful feeling. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I can almost smell those peonies. My favorite.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

What wonderful gifts ... I had been online looking for my clans (Ramsay) tartans.
Your photos are beautiful .. thanks for sharing.

Char said...

After seeing your beautiful photos, Scotland is on my to do list.
Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage said...

What a lovely trip..I would love to visit. Oh the peonies...how beautiful.
Have a great week..HPS..xo Tami

Holly said...

What a wonderful post and blog that you have. Thank you for the stop along the way to "Look at what we have and Smell the Flowers" - that is so true.
Many blessings and "Look at what we have AND Smell the Flowers"

The Charm of Home said...

What a lovely collection of Scottish things you have. The heather is amazing. I didn't know it bloomed so thick. Thanks Donna for linking this up to HSH!
Sherry

Marie Arden said...

What a lovely post and those tree peonies are fabulous I wish I could grow them here. I tried my regular Happy weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna -- Peonies are my favorite but don't grow here in the South -- too hot; maybe they could survive the Spring -- love your writing style. God does have his hand on you. Blessings Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Another glorious post. I have a fondness for Scotland too. By any chance did you get to experience the Tatoo while you were there...spectacular! My grandfather was from Scotland and my Mother remembers him playing his bagpipes, oh how I wish I had them.

Entertaining Women said...

Thank you for sharing your love affair with Scotland...you do the country justice. I'm a huge fan of the tartan plaids, although I have no real education concerning them. Cherry Kay

Diann said...

Just gorgeous Donna!

Linda said...

What a beautiful post...my sister visited there a few years back and brought me wonderful tartans from there. Your peonies are wonderful...they don't grow here...wish they did!

Lois Evensen said...

What a lovely collection. Just love your peonies!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I can't believe I missed this beautiful post. I love the Scotty dogs. Your peonies are gorgeous. Our's bloomed and bloomed until another storm layed them down, at least we still have the beautiful foliage. Hope you're having a terrific w/k. hugs ~lynne~

Nancy said...

Enchanting! Congratulations on your perfect win. I love Sarah's blog, too.

The flowers are gorgeous and how fortunate they did bloom after such a harsh winter.

Happy Pink Saturday!

Annesphamily said...

Congrats on that beautiful win! I love your peonies too! I am struggling to have some sort of garden. We moved 7 months ago and it is tough. Sweets is mowing the weeds and such now and what lawn there is! It smells heavenly! Enjoy the week. HPS!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Thanks so much Donna for linking up this wonderful post! Love the peonies and that gorgeous cup and saucer! xoxo Debra

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this post, but I'm glad I saw it tonight! Scotland and peonies -- how could you possibly get any better than that?