CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Captivated by Curiosities

Our little Miss Nelly Grey has a few handsome suitors today...

Mr Copperfield has hidden a bouquet of "butterfly blue pin cushion flowers" to impress our lil' Miss Nelly... He certainly has my attention... OH MY you know how I love blue flowers!!!

She has set out a few of my English Demitasse cup & saucer sets...I had found these poor little darlings on a clearance self for 75% off the sale price of $5 "AND" that was for 8 sets!!! Hmmm, that's practically FREE!!! They are creamy white, cobalt blue and trimmed in gold... The light blue transferware is "Burleigh Asiatic Pheasants" and it's the dishes I ALWAYS use when serving a man's favorite...

What a way to impress the guys ladies... Serving "Blueberry Pie"(or Apple), will always make them melt ...

I always keep a plentiful supply of fresh whipped cream in my gardens... Would you like a scoop on your warm pie?

"Is it wise to entertain more than one beau at a time"???

Miss Nelly said "As long as the table is set for three, of course it is wise to keep them both close. We shall see who wins my heart by asking for seconds of my warm blueberry pie"!

Here is my "Find of the Year"... I strolled into Goodwill like any other day and there were PLENTY of junk bins piled high that were not displayed yet. NOW those of you that know GW, "KNOW" that you have to be ever so careful in those bins. They put crystal on the bottom, layered with books, some decanters, various metal objects of UNKNOWN  VALUES, a group of scotch tape dispensers taped together(marked 50cents), but had NO TAPE on them... TOP LAYER is always "HEAVY METAL"(and I don't mean music)!!!  It's a wonder that ANYTHING survives, "BUT IT DOES". This day I spied a lady holding what is pictured here. YES! It was an antique "Minton Toast Tray"...She was examining it WHILE I was dead in my tracks(I do believe my mouth was probably open too). I didn't know if I should "HIDE" and spy on her, or just pretend I didn't see what she was holding... If I looked interested she would SURELY BUY IT! So I walked away and peeked around the corner... "IT WORKED, she put it back"!!! I moved right in and picked it up... It had a chip! Hmmmm! Did I care, NO! I did not know who the maker was, I needed my stronger glasses(not on me)... I put it in my basket and looked in the bin for more, then I moved to the other bins... There it was "AT THE BOTTOM" upside down, "crying my name"...It was a PERFECT MATCH to the one I had, but this one was MINT! Hmmm, what to do? I roamed around a while and decided to just take the perfect one and put the other one back... I didn't hide it, I put it on a shelf for ALL to see how beautiful it was...I paid for my treasure($3) and went home...I searched the internet and found that My "MINTON TOAST TRAY" was "RARE" mid 1800s and was worth approx $300...

Little Nelly said "WHAT!!! you left the other one at GW"??? Are you crazy!!! Yes, another sleepless night brought me back to open the doors of GW ... I made a B-Line to where I had left my "Twin Toast Tray"... There it was "STILL THERE"!!! No one knew what I did... No one knew how wonderful this toast rack was... My quest was complete, I would sleep tonight and have pleasant dreams of "Toast and Jam"... Did I tell you "I LOVE Toast Racks"???

It is such fun to treasure hunt...This cute little gent was so busy "Painting his birdcage red" that he almost didn't notice me enter... The little shopkeepers bell jingled as I entered and I asked WHY he would choose red as the color of his paint... He looked up at me and smiled, hesitated and answered "Why Not"! then he chuckled and said he had a bucket of it left over and wanted to brighten up his shop!  OKAY NOW...I'm giving you a budget of one item, "What will you be taking home with you"???

Lil'Nelly is LOVING being sandwiched(like the cream fluff in the Oreo cookie) in between these "Two Minton Toast Trays in the Willow Pattern"...Look at all the GOLD trim on them! They are "Gorgeous", Can you see me SMILING"!!! They are quite large, MAYBE to accommodate the "M" arch that Minton created...Do you think the "ARCH" is to represent "MINTON"? Well, My maiden name is "Miller" so It's a fine Minton/Miller ARCH for me!

This antique leaf dish(no markings) in Black&Gold with handpainted roses is very pretty indeed! At first the orange rose was going to keep it from todays table BUT look how it matched Mr Twist and Mr Copperfields HAIR!  YES it gets to stay... Did you notice that Mr Twist looks JUST LIKE Prince Charles?

I bought this beautiful rock crystal sugar&creamer years ago "for a song". It was SO DIRTY I couldn't see the intricate detailing, but for practically nothing I rescued it from it's tomb and soaked it in a nice bubble bath...Do you see her smiling pretty now...She was FLAWLESS!

Although for years I thought of it as a set, I discovered today that "It is Not"... I have identified the maker as American,"McKee" , pattern "Rock Crystal", Circa 1920s"... It is a creamer, but the open sugar is NOT the match(it isn't even a sugar??? )... It is a "Footed Jelly"... Both pieces have the company trademark on the bottom "a circle with the words pres cut"...

 It is such a gorgeous stately set that ORIGINALLY I thought I'd serve Hubby "Breakfast in Bed" using the sugar(NOT a sugar), as a compote for fresh berries with sweet cream in the creamer... Hmmm, I guess my original instinct was "RIGHT"! and "Mr Cottage LOVED my idea"!!! NOW I know the unidentified piece is a "Footed Jelly". LOVE THAT!!!

My newest $1 addition is this rare little "Royal Crownford Staffordshire England" Calico dinner bell... Can you see it sitting "So Pretty" on the plate with the blueberries??? When you are ready for your pie, just jingle it!!!

"Here you go"...

Some of my garden blue...Clematis "Blue Angel", is one of my favorite. The texture reminds me of seersucker...

I hope you've been captivating some curiosities of your own... I'll look forward to hearing all about them???



A HISTORY OF McKee Glass. READ ABOUT IT HERE

I'm LINKING TODAY to
"Blue Monday@Smiling Sally" 
"Tea Time Tuesday@Rose Chintz Cottage" 
"Return to Loveliness@A Delightsome Life" 
"Table Top Tuesday@A Stroll Thru Life" 
"Nifty Thrifty Tuesday@Coastal Charm" 
"Tea Cup Tuesday@Artful Affirmations" 
"Home and Garden Thursday@A Delightsome Life" 
"Share your Cup Thursday @Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson" 
"Vintage Thingie Thursday@Coloradolady" 
"Tablescape Thursday@Between Naps on the Porch" 
"Vintage Inspiration@Common Ground" 
"Home Sweet Home Friday@The Charm of Home" 
"Thrifty Things Friday@The Thrifty Groove" 
"Feathered Nest Friday@French Country Cottage" 
"Seasonal Sundays@The Tablescaper" 

79 comments:

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I don't know that I would have known for sure that those were toast trays, but now I will be on the look out for them. Love them!

Anonymous said...

Donna! Oh, my goodness! I've never seen such a pretty toast tray and what luck to get two. You know you stole those, don't you? :) I love Blue Willow and they look wonderful with your little miss! :)
Man, you did good.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Tammy's in Love said...

One would have been a miracle but TWO!? A million to one chance...you should go buy a Powerball ticket! Absolutely gorgeous and napkin display, maybe some vintage linen embroidered ones...

Tammy

Kays Kids said...

I have been visiting the Good Will with you. I love your finds, especially the toast rack. My Dad used a toast rack every day of his life,
Hugs

Faye said...

I loved reading about the toast trays and immediately wondered why you didn't take both the first time...so glad to read on that you went back and it was still there. What an awesome find! I do the same thing...hold my breath, try to act uninterested and hope she sets the item back down, then I scoop on it like a hawk! I did a pretty good job Friday on a garage/estate sale but nothing I brought home was worth as much as the toast tray! Great post!

romance-of-roses said...

Hi Donna, I am so glad you went back for the other one. As I was reading I was thinking no, don't leave it, take it also. Whew! glad you returned and glad it was still there just waiting for you right where you had left it. Lucky gal. They are gorgeous, like the way you placed napkins in one. I also go to GW at lease once a week more often if possible. Your table setting is lovely. Hugs...Lu

Lynn said...

The pie looks yummy Donna, love the little wild blueberries too! Great find at GW-enjoy:@)

Ricki Treleaven said...

I have always wanted a pretty toast rack...I have even bid on a few on Ebay, but my poor kitchen cupboards still do not have one....yours is lovely...what a find!

Cute post as always, Donna!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

The demi-tasse cups are gorgeous, but those TOAST TRAYS!!! Those are about the most wonderful things I've ever seen!!!! In fact, I've NEVER seen any like it before.

I might need to start going into GW.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oooooo! You captured my heart the moment you came to visit me and then I visited you. You home itself is a curiosity and now this beautiful display of BLUES?

Blueberry pie is my ultimate favorite with VANILLA ICE CREAM. All of the beautiful dishes here suggest that combination and do you know that I have a similar clematis growing up to my little bird house?

Perwinkle blue is the them of my backyard garden while the front gardens are evergreens, sprinkled with pink and lavender inpatients.

HAVE A GREAT DAY enjoying the fruits of your labor!!! Anita

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Oh wow!!! What treasures you found -- I've never heard of those toast racks but now that I've seen them - I'll be looking! Love that footed creamer and sugar bowl no matter who the maker might be! Your post was lovely and entertaining.

SmilingSally said...

Ooo, what treasures you found with those Minton toast trays! I love them. Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Donna.

Kim, USA said...

I love your table setting and yes these dishes are beautiful!

Kim,USA

Anne said...

That was fun! I especially loved the glimpses of your flowers... scabiosa is a favorite! Did you know that Renees Gardens has seeds for burgundy scabiosa? They grow pretty well and will return. Have a lovely week!

Sarah said...

Jingle, jingle! I'm ready for a piece of that blueberry pie!
Donna, I'm smiling thinking about your GW trip. It hasn't often happened for me, but there have been a few occasions that I find a real gem at GW. It does make one's heart flutter. Love, love, love the toast racks. And all the better to have a pair. Who cares about a little chip. Not me!
No help on identifying your sweet cream and sugar, but they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your recent treasures.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Your pie and flowers attracted me the most hehehe.


PS. Would you mind following my new blog, where my BLUE post is? Thank you in advance!

Rose

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Donna,
My, oh my, what a haul you made at the GW! We don't have a GW here, unfortunately! I LOVE your blue and white china, the sweet little bell, and the toast racks! Your pie looks delish and I'm sure it went over well on your table. Yum!!I would love to find some transferware here. Alas, there is not much to be found on our little Island. Thank you for coming to my party and have a delightful day, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh Donna, I do LOVE seeing your bargains from GW! I cannot believe those toast racks....lovely. lovely! I do love little Miss Nelly sandwiched between them. I'd ring the bell for a piece of that delectable blueberry pie for sure!!!

Snap said...

Aren't curiostities fun?!!!! Your Minton toast trays were an amazing find ... pretty too! Well done!!!

Olive said...

Donna, I would love to be hiding out somewhere in GW so I could watch your face as you look at and search out these treasures. You surely are a riot. I imagine 8 out of ten folks do not know what a toast rack is. hugs, olive

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a beautiful piece you have here today, thanks for sharing it at my party, and that pie looks soooo good!! Congrats on the WIN...please just e-mail me at coastal.charm@yahoo.com...need your e-mail so I can pass it on to the company.

Blessings,
Linda

Jocelyn said...

wow, wow, wow!!! I LOVE your Toast rack. What an amazing find. Our Goodwill has started putting a cover over the carts with a DO NOT TOUCH sign, so shoppers don't go through them before they put things out. Keep hunting, that's the fun part.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

I don't think I have ever seen toast trays but I sure like looking at yours. Love all your images and finds.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

That is the most beautiful toast tray I've seen dear Donna!! I also love blue and white, so this did it for me, what a great find. I also love all the treasures you have all over this wonderful and interesting post. Thank you for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful week sweetie.
FABBY

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven said...

Wow! What a treasure! Your trays are gorgeous!
Hugs,
~Wendy

Anne said...

What a great post. Everything looks so lovely.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Do so love curiosities and you have them everywhere. I love all your arrangements. Such fun to look at glimpses of the past!
Liz

Unknown said...

Coup of the year, Donna. Great find for the toast stands. Love all your gorgeous china, silver & crystal. BUT the blueberry is a'callin' ...

Congrats on the giveaway win I saw for you today.
TTFN ~
Have a lovely day ~
Marydon

Tito Eric said...

Splendid photographs! All the subjects are just as marvelous.

Julie Marie said...

Oh my gosh Donna... where do I begin?...your Scabiosa is just beautiful!... I love the blue flowers like you do as well... and your demitasse cups and saucers are so pretty!... I want a piece of your pie sooo bad!... yum!... and your Minton toast racks, I can hardly believe your luck!... and two, no less... they are stunning!...I have looked for years for a perfect toast rack, and you found them!... your black leaf dishes with roses is my favorite of all (maybe)... and guess what, I was married and divorced when I met Jack and guess what my married name back then was... Miller!... love all of your "curiosities" and Nellie Grey's handsome suitors... much love to you, xoxo Julie Marie

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Goodness Donna, you are a lucky lady - twice! I've been looking for a toast rack and have only seen silver ones that are not that appealing but your find is gorgeous.
I love the teacups with the cobalt blue, and the pie with the blueberries. Yummy.
Judith

Ann said...

Oh my goodness, sakes alive, good budy--as I always say when something seems unbelivable!!!What an enormous deal. Will you keep them both, well you know where you can make at least 300.00. They look so lovely on your table.
Ann

joyh82 said...

I never seem to have much luck at the goodwill but it looks like you found some treasures. Happy Blue Monday!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, I spoted that toast rack at the beginning of the post and let out a sigh. It's gorgeous! And to think you got 2 of them and for such a steal! Of course, I love ALL blue china, so this entire post took my breath. Your photos are lovely and so are your treasures. I really want to go to your GW Store! laurie

Two Cottages And Tea said...

This is the cutest post! I wish I had the talent you have to write such interesting stories! Love your little people and what a find at Goodwill! Wishing you a wonderful week.
Nancy

Laura Smith said...

I love the toast tray and that it was a treasured find at GW I visit there at least once a month. One time I came home with an unusually large roll top bread box that read "Bakery" on the top. I store all my coffee makings inside. I paid ten dollars on it and found it was selling on ebay currently for 125.00. I really love it though and dont have plans on parting with it. The surprise in worth just makes it more fun!

Babs said...

I love your stories of how you found all your treasures. How wonderful to find two toast racks!! Your vignettes are always so charming. :)

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Wow! That tea set is breathtaking. And such a bargain. All of you lovely Tea friends are going to send me hunting for some treasures to join in!

Clara said...

What a great post Donna. I just don't know where to start. your flowers are beautiful and you always have such beautiful tea things. You are so lucky to find those goodies at the G.W.
~Clara

Anne Payne said...

Oh.my. What a find! Those are gorgeous. You gotta love GW!

I totally agree about the blueberry pie being a man's favorite :) Love me some pie too , though.

Kathy said...

Hello Donna - whee! Those toast trays are gorgeous! I am so glad you were able to get them! I had a similar experience. I was looking at a French Press when a lady said it was part of a trio - of which she was holding the cups...I gave the pot to her and made my way down the aisle a little bit - she put them back and went around the corner - immediately I picked them up - she came back - I asked if she intended to get them, she said no she was looking for me to tell me! So sweet! Life is Grand!
I appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Blue and white is the perfect combination whether it be in china or a garden. You have beautiful examples of both!!! Love the Minton toast rack...I've never found anything so lovely at a thrift store! I'll look for info on your sugar/creamer and let you know...first thought is Cambridge.

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. I just love your story of the toast racks. It's such a thrill to come across unexpected treasures. Thanks for dropping by L'Heure Bleue At Home.

Terri said...

I am late to the party! Oh no! I am the last to hear of your amazing GW find!
That toast tray is just stunning. I have never seen one like it. I have two in silver, but not any ceramic.
I think you must be one lucky lady...I can only imagine the happy dance you did when you found the second one without a flaw! For 3 bucks!!! Then another sleepless night to go back and get the other one. I would have gone back too.
Your entire post is charming and beautiful.
In the painting with the shopkeeper, I think I would love the painting itself! Lol!....otherwise, I do see several treasures in there...like the needlepoint picture just under the lantern upper left...and some of those ornate chairs.
Hugs,
Terri

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Oooooh so beautiful (everything, but especially the toast racks.) I've read your post twice and am going back to enjoy the pictures at least one more time. Visual treats.

The Farmers Daughter said...

I want to go shopping/thrifting with you! Love this post!

Helen and her Daughters said...

The toast tray is fabulous!

xinex said...

Oh Donna! What a score! Such beautiful toast racks. I love the colors and you are right about them being rare cause I never see them and you know I am a shopper. Love all the blues here, including the blueberry pie....Christine

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Donna: What wonderful treasures you have found. Love the toast racks. The colors are perfect. I love to read your posts. They always draw you in to the adventure. Have a wonderful week my friend. Blessings, Martha

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh I just thought I would hop on over again for a slice of BLUEBERRY PIE at the cottage!! Anita

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Everything is so gorgeous as ususal, but that toast tray is totally unreal. What a fabulous find. Thanks for joining TTT and always creating such a beautiful and interesting post. Hugs, Marty

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Hi Donna,
Thank you so much for visiting my little blog and leaving your sweet comment!

I love this post! Everything is so very lovely and so much fun to read about your great good fortune with the toast trays and Minton ones too!

Happy VTT!

Diann said...

First of all Donna, everything in this post is just gorgeous! Sencond, it is themed in my FAV color...purple! And third of all, I soooooo want to reach through the screen and snatch up that toast tray! What a fantastic find! I love it!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOOOOO I am here for another slice of my favorite pie and a walk through your gardens. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY and for your kind comments on my shoe! I am enjoying making them.

How is your day? Life here at our cottage is sweet.....Anita

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

What a fun post. Love your photos, and your fabulous finds. Great score on the Minton. Now, for some reason, I want blueberry pie. lol

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, I'm cooking lately for my mom's annual tea party with her friends and your pie is yummy...it brought me back for another peek at it!! Have a great weekend honey.
FABBY

Debbie said...

I don't think I've ever seen toast trays before. If I did, I didn't know what they were. I love yours, and my heart did a little skip when you got to the part about its value. Such a wonderful find!!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Great post! The demi-tasse cups are so sweet. You really did score with the Minton toast trays. They are gorgeous and it doesn't hurt that they are valuable as well. $3!! Well done!

Little Miss Maggie said...

Everything is so very pretty. Love all the details.

Debra@CommonGround said...

such beautiful things, love the purple transferware, and hearing about the Old Curiosity Shop. thanks so much Donna, for linking up!

Schotzy said...

Now know there are gw's and there are G.W.'s!!!! I need to try to find a G.W.! What treasures you have found!!!!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Carlene, this is such a cute post. I have never seen a toast tray before. I would not have known what it is. Do now, and I sure think it's wonderful. Can't believe that you got both of them and for such a great price. Your flowers and pie are just yummy looking. Thanks for sharing this with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
what a thrilling story about your finds. You did so right to get the second one, too. They are soooo pretty. Love the idea of Little Nelly as Oreo sandwich. LOL
You always put together such wonderful things. I love all your vignettes. How great would it be to have a shop like Godwill here.
Hugs and greetings, Johanna

Micupoftea said...

Blueberries, blue dishes, and blue flowers....lovely photos! Glad you found some treasures~ Hope you can visit my pink & yellow teatime :)
http://poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com/2012/06/buttercup-and-fushia.html#comment-form

Rowan said...

The Minton toast trays are really beautiful, what a wonderful find! Like your dinner bell too - and I'm ready for my blueberry pie please:)

The Tablescaper said...

I have several toast trays but none are as spectacular as those!

- The Tablescaper

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Another georgous post. I don't know how you gather together such beautiful things ~ amazing!

Unknown said...

Your Minton Toast Try story is AMAZING! And they really are beautiful!

Rainey @ The Project Table

P.S. I'm having a Summer Time Giveaway stop by and enter this weekend if you get a chance.

Susan Freeman said...

I am totally smitten by your Minton toast tray. What a treasure!!

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Anonymous said...

I love your pretty pincushion flowers. I used to have these in my garden in NM but haven't planted any since moving to Colorado for some silly reason- after seeing yours I think I need to go find some seeds!

Love all your pretties- the toast tray is such a fun item to have!!

bee blessed
mary

Roz said...

Hi Donna, I am SOOOOO glad that you stopped by my blog today and enjoyed the pasta fazool recipe. But mostly because it led me to your blog, which I think is absolutely fabulous! Is there really a cottage that looks like the one in your home page top photo? So dreamy! I can't wait to read more of your posts as I now follow along!

Velva said...

The English cups and saucers, and dinnerware surely caught my attention. Love, love it!

Velva

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

What a delightful and charming post! I absolutely love the toast tray and the beautiful dishes! All were a wonderful find, and you can't beat those prices! The pie looks so delish, I can taste it through the screen! :)

Thanks so much for visiting me and taking the time to leave such a sweet comment! The tray, unfortunately isn't vintage, but I do love old silver! ...now following you!

Linda said...

What a great find!! I can just picture you peeking around the corner ready to pounce!! Great post!!

Heirloom treasures said...

I am absolutely smitten by this post. I had to scroll back a few times for more drooling over your lovely treasures. I love them all. Such a great find with the toast racks. Don't you love them even more when you know there worth?and that someone else almost bought it. I think they were waiting for you,as I always think our treasures find us not the other way around. :)
Thank you for visiting me and for your welcome comments. I am now a follower of your lovely blog. xo

Cindy Adkins said...

What a beautiful blog you have! Thank you so much for following me - I'm happy to be your newest follower now, too! Do you really live in that adorable cottage pictured in your blog header?? Oh my goodness...my dream home! I just came from the Goodwill, but didn't find any treasures today. I love your toast trays! Will be on the lookout for one now!
Cindy

The Charm of Home said...

Wow! Your toast trays are beautiful!! I would be shocked to ever see one of those in our Good Will. Your dishes are all beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Jacqueline said...

Oh yum! The pie goes perfectly with the plates. What bargains you find. These are fabulous and I adore the color.

Natalie said...

What treasures you found! My goodness! So beautiful. Glad to have found you through our blog, Rookery Ramblings. Take joy!