CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, December 13, 2010

"Christmas 1890"

"My Grandmother", Margaret Ford... I know most of my Friends here have already met this Sweet Lady, But this post is especially meaningful to me as Her Granddaughter and heir to Victorian Ways... She was born in 1885 which means she was 5years old when "This" Ladies Home Journal was printed... and today we must share in the "Elegance and Everlasting Beauty this magazine Lends to Our Life"... My Grandmother will be joining me throughout this  post, she is always with me and who better to guild me than "This most Beautiful Victorian Women that lives in my Heart"...
"This is the "Ladies Home Journal CHRISTMAS 1890" edition... To me this is a Rare Art Form that you must ALL indulge in... If you don't own a copy "You MUST"!!! It is still available to us today and I acquired my from one of my Dearest Friends Pat. She gave this to me, Knowing my Grandmother would have been 5years old when it was published..."Love you Pat"!  Every article, story, letters, etc will bring you back in time to an era we all seem to share such great affection for...
A Woman's Crown...by Madeline S. Bridges ... "Roses and thorns together grow; Yet, with a woman's art, I bind the roses--crimson glow-- About my brow; and who shall I know... The thorns hide in my heart"?   "Roses and thorns!  Life's daily grace... Covers life's daily pain... We give our joy the wider space-- But deep, deep, deep is that hidden place... Where thorns and tears have lain!
"I am using my Shelley cups & saucers today with a dessert plate of V&B German Burgenland... a local made antique spoon and little silver heart bowl... Definitely a few of my Favorite Things...
Frosted creamy white Peonies shelter a Special wee Irish Lass. She is my Grandmothers Angel Margaret, she has raven hair and deep blue eyes...
"Is this not the face of an Angel"???

The artwork and printing of this magazine is magnificent... It looks as though it were hand painted and typed on an old typewriter(LOVE THOSE!)

This is truly one of my Favorite Treasures... I cannot begin to tell you the dept of the stories within...
Add caption
"Priceless"... I tried to photograph the pages BUT "Although" my copy is "Mint Condition", the type is very hard to photograph and I am recommending that you try to get a copy...   Of course if you would like to see something closer, "Just Ask" and I'll be happy to!!!
The Christmas Garland is a form of letters to the editor AND the Journal was SO excited that one of the letters came from "Harriet Beecher Stowe"... This is also an exciting letter for me considering Ms Stowe is a Connecticut Native, Born in Litchfield... My Grandmother assures me that their carriages had passed many times although they never had tea together! "How exciting is that"???
This is one of my FAVORITE Cloths... It's a German Antique with extensive details done by hand... It is a piece of Art I LOVE to sit and examine and picture all the Lovely Ladies before me that share in " It's Love "... I wish to know all the tea's and coffee it has served, and maybe it "Knows a Secret or two"!!! Shh, I will never tell!!!

I'm LINKING to
http://silkenpurse.blogspot.com/2010/12/33rd-teapot-and-tea-things-tuesday.html 


http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/2010/12/43rd-table-top-tuesday.html 


http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com/ 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna your grandmother was beautiful!

I love this post.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
Your grandmother was a very beautiful lady and that doll is gorgeous! She does indeed have the face of an angel! I've enjoyed your post very much. Thank you for sharing.

Christmas blessings,
Sandi

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a lovely post about your grandmother~your magazine is beautiful and all your pictures and story- perfect! Thank you for sharing this!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your grandmother is such a lovely lady, and how precious that you keep her so close in your heart. Gorgeous vignette with such stunning accessories. Love the doll and the magazine is a definite treasure. Thank so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Susan said...

Good evening, Donna,

What a truly lovely post. I enjoy visiting here so very much. The photo of your Grandmother is every so beautiful and I can't believe you have a 1890 edition of the Ladies Home Journal. I love the way it was printed and the art work inside. I love anything from the 1800's and have some books that I simply cannot leave alone. I open them up every day and read a little and flip through the pages.

What a wonderful way to display the Journal & the antique German cloth is just so pretty. You have so many real treasures. I just love how you have your Grandmother right along with you.

Blessings to you,
Susan @ CluckleBees

Jocelyn said...

What a very beautiful post. Thanks for sharing about your grandmother.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I love that gorgeous painting!!! Such a heritage you have with your grandmother...applause!!!

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hello Donna!
Your Grandmother was beautiful and you're so very lucky to have such a wonderful picture of her. Seeing this post has made me miss our old Victorian for the first time since we moved to our cottage in the country. I love your little angel and your beautiful magazine sitting on the antique table cloth. Everything looks wonderful in your cottage! I hope your day has been a good one....best wishes....
Maura :)

Olive said...

Your grandmother portrait is stunning. The magazine's cover could be copied and framed. ♥O

Marlis said...

I am drooling over the table covering. The workmanship is exquisite. I love your doll and the old publication too. Congrats on winning that splendid table cloth.

paperbutterfly said...

Hi Donna,
I enjoyed your visit! Thank you for sharing these precious memories of your grandmother and the vignette. The picture of your home in the snow is so pretty it could be on a Christmas card.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
Have a blessed week.
Pam

The French Bear said...

Donna,
I just knew this post would be wonderful!!!! Thank you for letting me know about your Grandmother!!!! Love the china with it's wavy edges.....so beautiful! Her photo shows just how gorgeous she was.....wow!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Annie Jeffries said...

Good evening Donna. Your grandmother's picture reminds me very much of one I have of my grandmother. The picture is unframed and residing safely in a heritage album. However, it has also been scanned into the computer and I think it would be a very good idea to print a copy and have it framed is a lovely frame such as surrounds yourown beautiful grandmother. Thank you for the inspiration.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
what a lovely post and a lovely tribute to your gorgeous grandmother. She would have loved it, too. She is a beauty and you are very alike her. I love such old magazines also. They offen feature very interesting themes and I am always surprised how many international themes at this time have been discussed. Lovely, to reed something about ancient relatives. I love your vignettes as always. Very charming, very victorian. Your china and silver is beautiful and the old tablecloth is a truly treasure.
Thanks for showing that all.
Greetings, Johanna

Snap said...

Donna, simply gorgeous post. Beautiful Grandmother! Love your header, too!

Unknown said...

G'eve ~ What a lovely share of your Grandmother. Where are your Ford's from ... I am a Ford.

So love those old magazine & artwork ... so enjoyed your write today.

Christmas hugs & joys ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Sarah said...

Donna, what a beautiful post and lovely tribute to your grandmother. I so enjoyed this one! ~ Sarah

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Donna,

What a fond memory of your graceful Grandmother...
The Ladies Home Journal is very special for being the FIRST ladies magazine EVER! Edward Bok did a marvelous job. We have an old one too and treasure it, as well as his book. Did you know that he build the Bok Tower in Florida? It is at the highest point in Florida, Lake Wales. http://boktowergardens.org/
One year, the day after Christmas we went there and enjoyed a tea outside on the terrace in the Bok Tower Gardens... Lovely. Well, THAT your Grandmother would even have loved.
How is your brother Joey doing? My husband is doing fine and will finish his Rehab in one month.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and everything well with you and your loved ones!

Mariette's Back to Basics

The Tablescaper said...

Such treasures. Love that picture of your grandmother. That issue of Ladies Home Journal is amazing.

- The Tablescaper

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you for inviting me to join....here Iam!
The women in your family are beautiful...it's no wonder you are too.
I love your tablescape, great dishes, the polar bear and the sweet doll. I'd love for you to visit my blog too, I have family there too, taken recently, though. Christmas tablescapes, home deco for Christmas...my favorite season.
God Bless
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

How beautiful your grandmother is...such nice pics, did you get to know her?
I'm an American-Ecuadorian from N.Y.C., I met my husband here in Ecuador because my grandmother (speaking of grandmothers), thought it'll be a nice idea if I came to Ecuador and got to know relatives, because I was engaged to a nice Irish boy, hahahaaaa...it didn't work out for some reason, than I met my husband, who's wonderful and I'm so blessed by my God, now it's almost 36 yrs. since we got married in Las Vegas, yeah.... like Movie stars! So that's why I live here and I love it. When you visit my blog you'll meet my family too. Thank you, I'm so glad to have met you, it's been great meeting all these blog friends.
Love
FABBY

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

Beautful picture of you grandmother. That journal is such a treasure!