CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gnome Management in the Garden

"Oh Yes", this is cute AND can be true...BUT... I myself have awful sweet gnomes living amongst my Flora & Fauna... Personally I prefer the little guys to be stone with no trace of color... this way they stay where I tell them to stay!!! and at the moment there is no trace of them under the LUMPS of WHITE in my winter view BUT I know they are there...
"Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful"... I have a VERY important purpose here... "If ONLY I could remember what"!!!
We "Must" have an official garden greeter! This little guy keeps everyone's ice tea topped... BUT occasionally I find he gets preoccupied with the antics of our little chipmunks and wanders away from his post! Oh Course I forgive him for this "Because" I do the same exact thing...
Those are "Jack-in-the-Pulpit" leaves that this little guy is so Happy About! He loves chatting with all those little Jacks...
If this munchkin is this grumpy here... Can you imagine his expression under the avalanched white blanket over his head???
Cheer up Grumpy... Spring is only "Months" away!!!
You'll have to look close for this Bashful Fellow... He is Ever So Shy and if you WERE to make eye contact with him he would disappear into the thicket till all returned quiet again...
It's nice to see Green Moss "even if It's borrowed from my previous year"... If you liked the Gnome management video, PLEASE watch this one "It's my VERY VERY Favorite"...http://conghailecottage.blogspot.com/2010/08/jean-shepherd-ollie-hopnoodles-haven-of.html

23 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is adorable, Donna! Thanks! :-)

Pamela Gordon said...

Well, I had to laugh at your video about gnome management. It was quite funny. But, your gnomes are rather cute and I like that they are natural and kind of blend in with the garden flora. I hope your gnomes survived the winter under that deep blanket of snow you have now. Your property looks lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures when it is in summer bloom. Have a great weekend! Pam

Knitting-twitter said...

yodeljuhuu to your gnoms from Switzerland, tell them, they have a relative living here at the Lake of Constance but right now, he is hibernating..
ciao ciao ciao Christa

Linda said...

The video was too cute and I will go to the link in a few...but I have to tell you that my yard has it's share of gnomes. Mine are the cement colored ones as well...they are too cute...I can't help myself!!That was an adorable post and will keep me smiling for some time!!

Anonymous said...

Gnome's kind of bug me...yours I like. The colored ones I don't like. Yours are more part of the garden and they are very cute! Thanks for sharing the video and all today. Come sign up for my give a way if you would like :D

Ricki Treleaven said...

The second British invasion, LOL. Loved the video :D

Anne said...

I have heard rumors that under the cover of snow, the gnomes love to dress in purple satin, rhinestones, and feathers, though i'm sure yours would never indulge in such misbehavior!

Kathy said...

This was darling. I loved it. And - I loved seeing green since we are stuck in dreary greys and browns. Have a great weekend. - Kathy

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Donna,
your post made me laughing a lot. OMG, they have relatives in Germany, too. I always thought this is a typical German oldfashioned thing. German gnoms are namend Gartenzwerge = garden gnoms and they are always busy. The all have a garden tool. When I was child, you could see them in nearly every garden. Most of them were from pottery and a lot of owners created a little area just for displaying their garden gnoms. Later Snowwhite came up and joined them. And of course windmills and little castles etc.
When I was was grown up,I refused to have them in my garden. But in the neighborhood an old couple had a lot of them (my kids loved to see them). Their garden gnoms were very antique and the couple had a weekly procedere with them. Every Thursday SHE collected the gnomes and gave each a bath in a bucket. HE mowed the lawn and after that he put the gnomes back to their places. This showed us the upcoming weekend for years. When the couple died, we missed that dearly.
Although I can't hear the voices, I enjoyed the moovie "Ollie Hopnoodles" a lot. Could be easily my own family. Same face my husband would make in that situation, I swear.
Have a blessed weekend.
Greetings, Johanna

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Cute video, and I love your gnomes in your garden. They look wonderful and so fun. Hugs, Marty

Brenda Pruitt said...

I nearly slipped and fell on some green moss that had grown over some flagstone today. But then I kind of had a bad day all around with my leaf blower catching fire. I love these little gnomes. Fit right in with my beloved fairy gardens.
Brenda

Sarah said...

Donna, your precious sense of humor is what one needs to get through the winters you have. The video is funny, and I love seeing your gnomes among your garden. You must have the most charming home and garden in the state! ~ Sarah

Verde Farm said...

I love them and you have them placed perfectly. I agree about the plain with no color--so perfect. Poor Grumpy--I hate for you to see him when that snow melts--it may get ugly :)

Jojo said...

Not only do you have a fairy tale house, you have a fairy tale garden!!!! I loved the gnome video!

debi said...

Donna, your gardens are beautiful...and your gnomes look like they're doing a fine job of keeping things in order. Fun post!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What is a garden without some little gnomes...your guys are so cute. I love garden ornaments they add so much to the ambiance...do you take them in for the winter?

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hi Donna,
Your header picture reminds me of living in British Columbia with all that snow! I love your gnomes and I like the stone color ones the best too...especially when they start getting mossy or just aged. Can't wait to see your garden in spring. If that picture of your house is from this year...it's going to be a while until you can see your garden friends again. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
Maura :)

Maggie said...

Hi Donna,
If the seven dwarfs live in the beautiful garden of your delightful cottage, does this make you Snow White?

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Too funny! I do love Gnomes though. They are so sweet!
xx, shell

Motherkitty said...

These little fellows are absolutely darling! My husband collects gnomes. Our daughter and I are always on the lookout for a new one to get for him. He even has a gnome froghouse! Thanks for sharing.

Maude Lynn said...

Those are just adorable!

Betty said...

I love Gnomes. I have three for my yard and would love to get more.

Willow

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Donna, this is very funny! And so are those videos! I have never seen these disney gnomes! You find the most amazing things! I have to be careful in my yard too or the lawn ornaments will take over. I can't resist them so some come inside to live! Linda