CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Saying "GOODBYE" to winter 2012

Saying "Goodbye to Winter 2012" has to take us back to where our winter started at the End of October 2011...I want to forget all things WHITE frozen SLUSHY and cold from 2011...It was a RECORD year here for that 4letter word SNOW!!! As you can see in THIS photo I will be doing LOTS of crying as I clean up this spring...This is the ONLY destruction for WINTER and it goes back to Hurricane Irene followed by Nor'easter Snowstorm Alfred!

Take a look at what is LEFT of my beautiful Hydrangea fence! You will see the BEFORE picture in the NEXT photo...

Even though the HYDRANGEA FENCE was not HUGE it was getting there and every year it was more gorgeous than the previous year!!! WELL, the LEFT side is TOTALLY GONE now...sniff,sniff,sniff...

There are Lots and Lots of downed trees AND these were HUGE ones. SO Tall I needed binoculars to see their leaves. Now we have Lots and Lots of firewood! Do you see the ROOTS of the trees???

You cannot see it in this picture...BUT... this is "TWO" large trees and they are crushing a whole field of native Mountain Laurel bushes(hundreds of years old, and all gone)...

Here's a sight we don't see often...Hostas in the snow...

I have NEVER seen the destruction this October snow brought... SNOW & LEAVES equal MAJOR disaster...We were without power for over a week... I did not take pictures of all that I lost... It was too heartbreaking "BUT" I must NOT complain...Mother Nature gave us a super mild winter..."BUT" my heart is NOW with all those in our heartland and around the world that are suffering "All Kinds of Disasters" and not a moment goes by that I don't PRAY FOR THEM! AND as I clean up this spring "I will smile and count my Blessing"... After all I have all of you WONDERFUL Blogging Friends!

Hard to believe this was October!!!

I ran around after the snow started trying to ROUND UP my garden labels...HAHAHA!!! Too Funny!!!  Thank you for stopping by and "I've MISSED YOU ALL so much"...BIG Squishy Hugs!!!

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Sorry you lost so much Donna, but I know you'll get everything cleaned up and enjoy the beauty that this spring brings:@)

Debbie said...

When you said you had destruction, you weren't kidding! That's horrible. Yet again (and again and again) God keeps reminding me to stop and appreciate all beauty... to look for it every place I turn... because in an instant, it could be a memory.

Here's a huge hug of encouragement as you set about bringing back the beauty this spring!

And again... SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!

Jojo said...

We really didn't have much of a winter and I'm glad really. And now... Spring is almost here!!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

OMG!! What destruction!! I am so very sorry!
BUT I am thrilled that you are back to blogging as I have missed you!!

Hugs,
Deb

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

I'm sure you will resurrect your garden and it will be even more beautiful than ever! Thanks so much for dropping by L'Heure Bleue At Home. So glad that we share a love for tea towels and creamware.

Sarah said...

It sad to see large, established plants and trees taken out in a single storm. I know there are blessings to be considered that it was only the garden and not your home, but still it does break one's heart. Like you, I feel for all who are suffering from the recent spring storms. We've had beautiful days until recently. Now it is gray and cold again. We welcome the rain though.
Looking forward to seeing what you will be sharing, Donna. I've missed you! ~ sarah

defaziolinda said...

Donna, SOOO glad you are back! It was a pretty awful October - much destruction. Lots of cleaning up to do. But, thoughts of flowery SPRING are in my head! If you need any help, let me know! I'm just up the road. :) Blessings, Linda

Carole said...

Heartbreaking. It seems odd that after those storms we had no snow to speak of. Doesn't seem fair.

x
Carole

The Tablescaper said...

So wonderful to see you back and thanks for your thoughtful comments. My, you were hit hard. See what Spring brings. Moather nature is amazing thing.

- The Tablescaper

Babs said...

It's so sad to see all the damage the snow did. I hope it won't take long to get it all in order and ready for Spring.
I was so pleasantly surprised to see you blogging again. Welcome back. I missed you.
Hugs,
Babs

Pamela Gordon said...

Welcome Back! I was so surprised to see your last post today but this one didn't show up unless I just missed it. I'm sorry you had blogger issues. I heard of someone else having the same thing just recently. My, you did have a lot of damage to your beautiful property! What a shame. I guess you'll have some new planting ideas to consider this spring. Take care! Blessings, Pamela

Micupoftea said...

Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog. I am a new follower for your blog~ Wow, being born and raised in So California, I am wholly unfamiliar with weather like this. Looks like Narnia! lol~ I am sorry the storms did so much damage to your trees and hydrangeas, as I am sure you lovingly tended them all. I hope now that SPring is around the corner you get some warmer weather and a chance to do some planting. Happy St Pattys Day,
SHawn

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Donna, I think it has taken me all winter to recover from those two storms too. We lost soooooo many trees (flowering, apple...) and I think I was in shock. Never really prepared for the winter or put my garden to bed properly! I walked through the yard today planning for this summer and a good cleanup. So happy to have you back! Linda