| It wasn't a happy ending "YET"!!! This tureen had ONE PROBLEM! "WHAT you ask"??? Well... The color tag on it would be HALF PRICE the very next day...Hmmm, what to do!!! YES you guessed right...I ACTUALLY put Mr Limoges Tureen, in an out of sight spot on a bottom shelf(OKAY I confess, I piled a few tall bowls, that looked like NO ONE would ever look at them,in front of him)...Bid Him Farewell and promised I would be back "FIRST THING" in the morning... I did not get a wink of sleep that night, sneaking a minute by minute glance at the SLOW MOVING hands on my alarm clock... Was all this worth the half price sticker? I stared at the ceiling all night long, "wondering" just how much did I really save "considering" the price of gas(to&Fro)... Hmmm |
73 comments:
Oh my, I am in soup tureen envy!!!
I want to find one. I don't NEED one, but I do so LOVE them and I just really think I need to find one.
I doubt I will find one as lovely as thine, however.
Donna, somehow I've missed that you've posted several times since my last visit. Sorry to be so late. Love the new find. It definitely belongs on your shelves.
Thanks for inviting me to join in with Julia You know she is a favorite around here. And finally, those pink cupcakes are calling out to me. Please, please put one of those goodies in the mail and ship it off to TX. ;-)
Happy days, my friend ~ sarah
All fun goodies and glad you got the tureen! Your bread is beautiful and the stew looks amazing! I haven't made bread the last few weeks since it's been warmer outside and do miss it-enjoy:@)
Hello Donna... what a delightful post!... I am like you, I want REAL BOOKS to read... and the Forgotten Garden sounds so enchanting!... Your Limoges tureen is fabulous!... I hide things too then go back for them... and I sometimes lay awake like you did, wondering if they will still be there... so happy yours was!... your bird basket is adorable... I would guess it is Hull... I will see if I can find it in my Hull collectors book... the little tree froggie is too cute... does he know "Moonlight Serenade"???... my favorite!... I will just grab a piece of that yummy looking bread as I leave... and I will bid Julia adieu as I go... Le Perche looks like Heaven... I have also traced my French ancestors back to the 1600's to Soual, Tarn France... we MUST get together and chat one day soon!... so many things in common, and I love all of the things you share... wishing you a beautiful evening...xoxo Julie Marie
Donna, I'm always so pleased when I drop in to see you. Your blog posts are always memorable! I'm thrilled so see that Mr Limoges Tureen now lives at Conghaile Cottage, whew, I was worried! And Miss Julia, love her! The book, I think it's a must!
Again, your posts are fabulous!
Nancy
I always said that if I could meet one famous person it would be Julia Child. I have all of her cookbooks and admire what she did for american food immensely. This is an adorable photo of her, I have never seen it before.
What a lovely tureen and the little birdie basket is darling! When my daughter lived in California, she saw Julia Childs in Costco. It wasn't long before she passed away and was being pushed while she was in a wheelchair. She so wanted to go up and say something to her but she didn't! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)
Hi Donna: That was very smart and lucky of you to hide away that little beauty. I'm so glad you got it. I bet Ms. Child was very impressed when you served her recipe up in that beautiful tureen. Happy Sunday..Judy
Donna, I love Kate Morton's books. I have read them all! And can I just say that your $6 tureen is THE FIND of the day!!! Wow, I love that thing. I like your little helpers and your guest of honor, too! I want a tour of your kitchen, my friend. Have you posted one before?
(((hugs))),
RJ
Donna, I so adore your tureen. The colors are all my favorite! I love your vignette, all creams and browns.
Hi Donna, I love your beautiful soup toureen and how nice to have such a special guest to visit. A sweet post.
You had me at "limoge". What a bargain. and your dinner looks amazing.
My your dishes are so beautiful. And so glad to meet Julia Child here. ^)^
Kim,USA
I love your dishes and the food made me hungry!
My Blue and Mellow Yellow Monday.
Dear Donna,
the Limoges tureen is lovely and worth to have a sleepless night. You acted clever and that tureen is the well deserved reward. Your cupcakes looks delicious. Mrs. Child was an very special cook, I think.
Best greetings, Johanna
You hid the limoges? You crack me up!! I need to start doing that. With my luck, I would break it in so trying.
So glad you got it, and I love everything AS USUAL here.
I love that Wedgewood Blue.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy Blue Monday, Donna.
Hi Donna,
I am in your Majolica plates envy mood. I really in need of them. Wow! Hope I can purchase a set, it's my craving moment here §:-)
GH, said... "oh oh--- I am in trouble"! Damn land of blog! Ha ha... he always get into trouble, specially peeping in at the Cottage.
Hope you're enjoying with your gorgeous guest. That bread looks yummy. Maybe a recipe to share with, so I can bring home? TY a mill for sharing such a beauty to my eyes.
GB on TTT day,
/CC
I love meeting your special guest and the soup looks so delicious. Served in the tureen makes it a special treat.
Jocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com
Donna, I am one of those obnoxious GW shoppers who looks at every knook and cranny of the lower shelves. I do not blame you for hiding this piece though as it is stunning. Your beef is equally stunning and I am hungry already. We are having banana blueberry pancakes for supper. hugs, olive
You're a braver woman than I to leave the soup tureen hidden for the next day sale. It is gorgeous and goes well with your Majolica plates.
Having tea with Julia would be an interesting visit.
Judith
OMGoodness, Donna, what a deal at GW! It's so funny to hear you say you piled things in front of the tureen (I've done the same thing!!). I love reading your posts. You're such the storyteller. xoxo
Hello Donna,
Your tureen is fabulous! What a bargain and how lovely it looks nestled all snug on your shelf! The Majolica plates are beautiful as well; such a lovely shade of blue! I much more prefer the hard covered books too. Hubby is happy with his tablet but I want the real deal.
Loved meeting Julia and she looks right at home in your garden. Thanks for sharing and joining me for tea.
Blessings,
Sandi
You certainly nabbed a beautiful tureen for almost nothing. Very enjoyable post, especially with your surprise guest! I'm a new follower, Mary Alice
Your tureen is just heavenly and what a great price! Julia Child is my hero. I have managed to work my way through Mastering The Art of French Cooking volumes I and II. When I prepare one of Julia's recipes I always put on some French music and pour a glass of wine. What a darling she was and an inspiration to so many of us. Great post Donna!
Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley
That tureen is gorgeous. I love china with lids. That is spectacular. That photo of Julia is wonderful. I would love to have that on the wall in the kitchen. Your dinner looks delish. Hugs, Deb
You and Julia cooked up a delicious looking "Boeuf Bourguignon". Yum and look at that beautiful tureen. I don't think I could have waited till the next day to get it half price. It was waiting for you, though. The book sounds interesting, but it's one I won't try. If it requires concentration, I'll probably never get past the first chapter. I'm awful..short attention span. :)
Hugs,
Babs
Hi Donna, Your tureen is fabulous and the boeuf bourguignon looks great! Julia was one in a million. I loved the movie Julie and Julia, although I heard that Julia was not pleased with the book and/or movie. I thought it was fun. Have a great week, Donna!
what a lovely tureen, so delicate and dainty looking with the light blue flowers. What a bargain that was too, glad it went to a good home. Enjoy
What a lovely tureen it is so delicate and dainty looking and what a bargain, it has definitely gone to a good home, enjoy...
What a harrowing story! So glad he got to come home to your house. I am sure I would have fretted the entire night as well! He is a handsome one!
Hello Donna,
Those are really sweet Crown Ducal tea cups. The design is different, and I like to see designs I have never seen before. Gold and cream always look so elegant!
Your kitchen is lovely, Wow! Those breads are so fresh I can almost smell them here!
The B.B. looks divine! I have made Julia's recipe too. It was delicious, hmmmm I need to make that again : )
The Forgotten Garden sounds interesting, I will definitely look that one up! Thank you so much for the recommendation.
Hugs,
Terri
Gorgeous!
My BLUE, have a nice week ahead.
Pretty photos, love the Majolica..and the bread! It looks delicious :)
Oh, I love the tureen and the beautiful plates. Perfect in your home.
Donna, such a fun post. I'm sure Julia would love your new tureen. What a great find! Happy Tea Day!
I love your tureen and the beautiful tablescape you have created, but the pic that took my breath away is the one of the bread. Gorgeous pic. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty
My dear friend Donna: The Limoges would have been a bargin at $12.00, it was steal at $6.00. It is so beautiful. I love it. Thank you so much for the Sophia scarf, I got it this morning. It is beautiful. You made my day. You are the dearest friend. I do hope one day we can meet. I would love to visit with you for hours. Hugs, Martha
One of my fav things in dishes are the soup tureens and your is lovely! I love everything I see in your fabulous tablescape sweet friend. You make the most lovely and special tables and vignettes, they have your elegant, special and feminine stamp in them! So unique. The bread pic is just so wondercful, just warms my very heart.
Love,
FABBY
I think we were ALL Julia fans. Just knowing she is gone makes me miss her.
Love that tureen to pieces. :))
I would just totally be up all night waiting for that store to open and the half-price sticker to be workable!!! You're a woman after my own heart - great job! Mary
Hi Donna,
What a fabulous deal on your beautiful tureen. I don't know if I could have waited a day knowing it was sitting there for someone to come along and find it. I laughed so much when you tried to hide it so you could come back the next day for it. I can imagine you must have had a sleepless night. It looks beautiful in it's new home. I seen the movie about Julia Child and loved it! Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Lisa
What a delightful post. Your Tureen is a winner. It is so beautiful. Your home looks warm and inviting. Thanks for following my blog. I would love to join yours, but for some reason, the following box is blank and I can't connect at all. I will pop back tomorrow and see if it has decided to show its face.
So Nice to meet you.
Hugs
Kay
Oh, the soup tureen is gorgeous...so glad it was still there waiting for you the next day! I didn't know that Vera Bradley carried majolica...so beautiful! BUT, I like your birds the best...wish I could help with the maker. I might suggest Royal Copley or Morton Pottery if you do any research.
Oh my gosh......what a fantastic day! I'm not so sure I could have gambled on the next day for the Limoges tureen. But Julia......I would wait as long as it took. She was my delight dose of delight on PBS way back when. Thank you for the lovely respite.
What an enchanting post! I read it as if I were reading a story...a TRUE LOVE story, which it is, and you WON him! :) Thoroughly enjoyed your post! ~Zuni
Gorgeous tureen and beautiful vignette! (I have to admit *whispering* I may have hidden a thing or two behind others like you) :)
*hugs*deb
What a beautiful tureen and I am so glad it stayed hidden for you! So lovely to have had the opportunity to have Julia over to the garden and to have made her wonderful dish. I haven't tried that dish yet, but I need to and yes, I must have some fabulous crusty bread. This post would go great with wwwcastlescrownscottages.blogspot.com Paris Party too! (no . after www or you get another blog!)
Hi Donna,
Wow! What a wonderful, cute, funny post! I read the book last year and thought it was great, Its a keeper for me! Your tureen is so lovely and goes so well with your plates. Like the little guy you have too!
Blessings to you,
Nancy
Hi Donna, $6.00?????? Wow! I don't think I would have had the will power to leave it behind even at $ 12! You really have the best Goodwill near you. I'm planning to check out the one in Westport this week--should be good, yes? I met Julia once when she spoke informally at my daughter's school. I think she was a friend of one of the parents. She was hilarious and very outspoken. The food looks delicious! Such a beautiful day today--I'm heading out to the yard now but wanted to stop by. I'll be back to see your posts that I've missed. Linda
What a beautifu post. I love every picture the dishes are gorgeous.
Cynthia
The majolica calls my name!
Love the texture.
Brenda
Hi Donna, that soup tureen was meant to be yours! hard to imagine at 6.00 even at GW! lovely area to be your ancestral home, my dad's side came from Normandy. maybe some day I'll get there! thanks so much for always leaving the sweetest comments, I appreciate you always linking to Vintage Inspiration!!
loved reading your post, donna! beautiful dishes, and awesome guest of honor:) tfs and have a wonderful weekend!
Everything is so lovely, I don't know which is my favorite?! I think I'm leaning towards your majolica plate, I've never seen one like that and just adore it! Thanks so much for the book recommendation too.
Happy VTT!
Beautiful tureen, and wonderful price! Thanks for sharing it at Let's Dish! I hope you had the weather we had today, it was fabulous! Perfect day to plant and spray wicker .
I saw this post earlier, but I have NEW information to "share."
After telling you how much I want a soup tureen, I THOUGHT I found one on my very next visit to my fave shop.
It looked very much like yours except the floral print was pink. I was SO EXCITED I was going to grab it and pay whatever price was on it.
Then I realized it was not a soup tureen but more like a vegetable bowl. It was a little too small and did not have the notch in the lid for the ladle handle.
It was Austrian China, very delicate and just gorgeous.
But, since it wasn't a soup tureen, I left it in the shop.
Patience is truly a virtue! I have done the same thing, I must admit. The trick, I think, is to pile just enough "junk" in front of it that it sort of disappears, but not so much junk that the workers come and thin it out. I do that with clothes, too. I put them way in the back of the row (although these days I'm picking from the sizes WAY in the back of the row!!!) so there's less chance of them being discovered. I salute you for both your tenacity and wily ways!!! Mr. Limoges Tureen is in a loving home where he belongs!
Oh lucky you to find such a wonderful Limoges tureen. I adore Limoges...you can never have enough. Your book looks so interesting.
Fun blog.
wow! 600 african violets! that's amazing and would you believe my Mom has that same sweet metal tea cart in her dining room with violets on it. And I can't grow a violet for the life of me. You really scored with that gorgeous tureen. It's beautiful. What fun we would have "JUNKING" together. Have a wonderful weekend. ~ Lynn
I came back to answer your sweet and kind note and I'm so glad, as I can enjoy your lovely post with such gorgeous elelemnts once more my friend. I am currently at my daughter's house, where she lives is very hot and humid, where I reside it's in the Andean mountains and it's like spring everyday..it's great hair weather there, lol! I will be going home Monday coming. Of course, although I'm so tired and HOT, I will miss my little girls so much once I get to my quiet and cool house. Have a wonderful weekend pretty Donna.
FABBY
yay - you linked up! i adore that little frog on your fishie! too cute! xoxo, tracie
That's a beautiful tureen, it would have been a bargain even at $12! As for that boeuf bourguignon- it looks fabulous, it's one of my favourite meals and is always served here on Christmas Eve.
What a fabulous find! I would have been happy to pay the 12.00!!! You were oh so brave and frugal to wait.
I wish I could find such treasure at my local Goodwill.
Happy weekend!
Patti
I so enjoyed this post! I have also been known to hide things hoping they would be there when I came back.
You got some great things.
what a wonderful find. Ilove your setting. I remember Julia and her show.
so glad I stopped by.
Cathy
I want to shop at your Goodwill - wow! I cannot believe how brave you were to wait on the half-price sale. I would not have slept a wink. Love the whole post and I spied a Lily of the Valley sterling spoon in there. That is such darling pattern. Thanks for sharing and tell Julia "hello" for me - lol!
Gorgeous tureen and even better price, you are so brave to wait for the half price sale but I am thrilled that it was still there waiting for you!
Your Vera plates are just gorgeous and I love your Bashful figurine and your sweet little frog friend.
How wonderful to share tea with your lovely friend, this is a beautiful post! Thank You for sharing and I hope you have a really blessed day!
(hugs)
Aledia @ Plum Perfect
What a wonderful vignette. Love the shades. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.
- The Tablescaper
Lovely eye candy!
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I followed you home and became your fan. Loved my visit.
Hugs,
Cindy
What a wonderful post. Love your special guest, Julia Childs, my favorite. Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. New Follower too!
Jody
Donna,
Lots to love in this post. Such a beautiful tureen, love the story of how you hid it! LOL The beef dish from Julia is fantastic! I have made it and it is a family favorite! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry
You brave, brave soul! So very glad it was still there for you - it is beautiful. I love this dish - warm and satisfying. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy
Post a Comment