CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Friday, August 13, 2010

Coffee with John James Audubon



"French Limoges Boxes"... I can NEVER have enough of them... and this bronze squirrel bell was one of the first things I bought for my husband when we were first married so many wonderful years ago...  These three little critters are waiting for "The Big Guy" to arrive... 
Many generations of Great Horned Owls have been born in my Mighty Oak Tree... LONG before I developed this land the Silent Night Hunters were here in their home... I worried during construction that they would feel unwelcome and move to another area...BUT... they just kept  "Evening Watch on the improvements to their domain"... They approved, and we encounter them regularly...
Antique Paris Opera Glasses are "One of my Favorite Things"... these are my ONLY way(my choosing) of viewing the birds outside my window... it gives me such pleasure to grip them in my hand "Feeling their Culture" as I pull them up to my view and KNOWING what THEY have witnessed in their lifetime, I watch my feathered friends as they send THEIR song into the air... AH, Life it good!!!
The tray I have chosen to present Mr Audubon with his coffee is a Moose antler... This is HUGE and extremely heavy, and I must "Warn" you all to NEVER, EVER make Mr Moose angry at you, where he may get the urge to nudge you with these... It would NOT be a good day for you...BUT, these antlers make FANTASTIC trays(and no moose was hurt to get his antlers, they shed them so you can go hunting in the woods for these treasures)...
"Antique Paris Opera Glasses"... They are one of life's most inexpensive treasures and to me, No home should be without them... I call this set the His and Hers... Mine, of course, are the Mother of Pearl ones with the retractable wand so that I can "Hold them ever so dainty like"... His have incredible deep etchings on them... Both pair have powerful lenses that seem as though if I point them in the "RIGHT direction", JUST maybe, I will catch the last act of "Phantom of the Opera"...
A tiny bit closer look at MY Mother of Pearl Paris Opera Glasses..."Are you in Love YET"???
"Here he is"... The guest of Honor... Mr John James Audubon... His whole story is here, NOT just those wonderful illustrations... We get to actually see inside this Man with incredible Vision for our "Wild Life", and learn more about "His Life"... I want to especially, Thank YOU Mr Richard Rhodes, for dropping him off today and "Please have a cup of coffee with us too"...
 This is the coffee set I chose for today's special visitor. It is "FURNIVALS Quail Brown" made in England...This is one of my "Favorites", and I'm not just saying that because Mr Audubon is sitting right here with me... I truly LOVE the pattern, the coloring, the shape, and MOST important "The Quail"... Yes, I must admit that little bird wins my heart every time it appears on something(I do not collect them, BUT MANY of them follow me home) .  "I bought this set YEARS ago in one of my favorite Garden Centers(Lexington Gardens in Newtown, Connecticut)". My vehicle never seems to be able to Drive by without Stopping to Explore!

52 comments:

Martha said...

I have always liked thew quail and almost bought some in blue and white but for some reason I restrained -- I'm sorry I did!

Anita Diaz said...

Beautiful post! I LOVE the opera glasses! We took our girls to see the first opera a couple years ago, and they desperately wanted some. We were so close, they didn't need them, lol. I do love the history too. I can just imagine someone seeing "La Boheme" or "Carmen" with those. I also love your transferware!

Bearly Sane said...

I just love your photography, your vignettes always look so beautiful ... just like still life paintings. That tree is wonderful and the way you have captured the texture of the bark is marvelous.
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane
P.S. Thanks for stopping by today. XXX

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love this post and you always create the most wonderful vignettes and then the story to go with it. Love everything about your vignette. I need some opera glasses. That would be such fun. Hugs, Marty

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

What a beautiful post today! I luv the anchient tree. So much history this tree has seen. Thanks for sharing....Julian

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a wonderful post! I love your little Limoges boxes and the moose tray!! I've never seen one of these before, well, except on Bullwinkle!! :) Your post is so filled with wonderful things - the opera glasses and your pretty tea set! A very wonderful tribute to our Mr. Audubon! It would be so interesting to read about 'the man' behind the lovely paintings of the birds. I so admire his paintings.
Thank you so much for popping in to see me and have a wonderful weekend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Donna said...

Hi Donna,
I love your post! I too share your love of the natural world, and you have captured it so beautifully in your photos! I lucked out a few months ago and found a HUGE book of Audobon's work at our library's used book sale for $5! Your Limoges boxes are wonderful, and so are your opera glasses!

parTea lady said...

I really enjoyed this great post - such beautiful photos. How wonderful to be able to see Great Horned Owls from your window. Your limoges boxes and Quail Brown china are lovely. The moose antlers work well as your tray - I'll have to ask my brother in Northern Ontario to keep an eye out for some. I think that a pair of opera glasses would be nice too.

Sorry you couldn't get to the virtual Paris tour - that site does seem to have problems on and off. http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com/index-en.html

Diann said...

Love this post! Every detail is just wonderful! The little limoges box are so lovely and the tea pot and cup are beautiful!

Nancy's Notes said...

What a wonderful post, each one of your photographs are awesome! Look at those beautiful quail on your coffee set, just out of this world! Oh and your opera glasses are just to die for! I want some mother of pearl ones now!

Thanks for sharing this great post!

Nancy

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

OK Let me try this again...OH MY I can't even do this part right...
I'm LINKING to "A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS"... PLEASE come visit everyone's treasure over at...
http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/2010/08/favorite-things-is-sinking-today.html

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Wonderful post! Love the beautiful Limoges Boxes, the beautiful opera glasses, the beautiful transferware, and that amazing antler tray! Thank you so much for linking this post to Favorite Things Sat. I loved getting to see all of this beauty. laurie

Jacqueline said...

Everything about this is just eye candy! I wouldn't even know where to start. What a lovely idea and sooo unique. It was all just beautiful and inspiring.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty vignette!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

The vignette is just stunning! I'm so glad I found your blog...I'm your newest follower!
I love the Quail pattern also. I just put a platter in my Etsy shop for sale, but I had kept it around for a year debating on whether or not to sale it. I collect several other patterns and decided I'd better not venture into more. I could easily get carried away with this one though.
I love that dog too! So cute!

Nancy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Thanks so much for your kind remarks about the breakfast room redo. I love that shelf, but didn't have any place to hang it in the last house, so it went into the guest room and then all of a sudden I just started to think that it was where it belonged. lol So glad I suddenly figured out that I have a wall in this house that would fit it. It is rather big. The brackets are 16" tall and the shelf is a little over 6' long, so it does take up a whole wall. Thanks again. I appreciate your comment. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

Your photos look as if they should be book covers, they are so warm and inviting. Oh, so pretty!

xinex said...

Your Limoges collection is exquisite, Donna. I love the tea pot too and the binoculars. How neat are they!...Christine

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is my first visit to your beautiful blog. I love the vignette's and the opera glasses, well now I'm on the lookout for some! Love the Antler tray, how unique.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'M LINKING TODAY with "MARTY @ TABLE TOP TUESDAY"... Everything there is SO BEAUTIFUL, please stop by for a visit...
http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/2010/08/26th-table-top-tuesday-old-world.html

Lynn said...

Just beautiful! I love your opera glasses, how fun to catch a glimpse of the birds using them!

Sue said...

Lovely vignette!! It's so warm and inviting and so absolutely original. Love the moose antlers as a tray and all that moss. Donna, this is just so pretty! hugs, Sue

Sarah said...

This is such a fabulous post! I'm tickled pink that I've discovered Conghaile Cottage!!! Each photo is full of charm and inspiration. I'm in love with the moose antler tray. Don't think I'll be finding any of those in TX though. :-)
And now I've gone and fallen in love with the Furnivals Quail Brown pattern. Thank you for sharing all this beauty! ~ Sarah

Lindy said...

Very unique and beautiful vignettes. Love all your little "treasures"! Your newest follower!

L.

a quiet life said...

wonderful vignette~

Marlis said...

I am in love with everything in this post.. It's earthy and real and warm and so inviting. Your favorites are wonderful!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! Stunningly gorgeous!!

Blessings!
Gail

Entertaining Women said...

Had to smile. I'm sitting here eating my breakfast from one of my Furnivals Quail Blue bowls, and I open your post. Wonderful presentation. Mr. Audubon would have been pleased to linger over tea with you in this lovely vignette. The moose antler tray is spectacular. I've never seen one before, and I shall have to figure out how to obtain one. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Debbie said...

Can I just say that this is wonderfu?? I would love to own that coffee service, and the way that you display everything is so beautiful. You definitely have the artist's eye!!

It's all just perfect.

Vanessa said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos! Thanks for "taking me away" for a few minutes!
Blessings,
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

Kathleen Ellis said...

Lovely woodland vignette! Your collection is lovely!
Have a beautiful weekend~
;-D Kathleen

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I'm LINKING to My Romantic Home Today" for
Show and Tell Friday@
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C_qpXWOS_8E/TG3Aw9g4zRI/AAAAAAAANmY/CfJiJtX9B3E/s1600/show+and+tell+fridays.jpg
PLEASE join us and SEE what beautiful vignettes, etc are waiting for you...

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING to Vignette Friday over at "Color Outside the Lines"... COME on over and share the FUN!!!
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/08/friday-vignette-fridays.html

Marigene said...

Love the coffee service with the quail...unique tray out of the moose horn.

Kathy said...

I have learned so much! Now I have to be on the lookout for Paris Opera Glasses. These pictures remind me of my favorite magazine, Victoria! Just amazing!
I would love to be able to view the owls! I love watching birds, but we don't have any owls. We do have Redtail Hawks - I love watching them - carefully with my little dog near by :)
I hope you have a great day,
Kathy

The Charm of Home said...

I grew up in John James Audubon's old habitat. There is a state park named after him in Henderson, KY. When I was a kid it had a decent budget and it was wonderful. They had many of his large books, stuffed birds, nests, eggs, etc. The main building was like a small sandstone castle. I loved to visit there! when I take the kids home sometimes we pull in there and I take a quick hike with them on one of the trails. You hit all of the right notes in your vignette. It's wonderful. Love the transferware!
Sherry

niartist said...

Donna, this is just magical! I love it! :) Thank you so much for being a part of Vignette Friday! I'm so hoping you'll join up next week too! :)

Susan said...

Your tone on tone look to your post is just beautiful!! I hope to have that look in my new house.....if I ever get a new house.

Charo said...

So beautiful photos! Love your coffee set and the opera glasses!

AntiqueChase said...

Yes! I am in Love.... wonderful opera glasses.... wish they were mine..do you share? lol

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is wonderful. Your woodland coffee looks like a grand occasion. Thanks for this great share.

Kathleen said...

I didn't have coffee with him, but nearly a heart attack.
When I was carrying groceries in Fri night a bird flew in with me! You know the old Irish superstition about if a bird gets in you will hear of a death. And sure enough, I got the call about a friend passing.
Your pics are lovely, but I hope the nature stays outside. Between the birds, the deer and the pheasant and wild turkeys it is like living in a game preserve! :)

Kate Dickerson said...

This is so beautiful! What you have put together is absolutely may favorite setting this week!! You have put so much thought into your photos and all the little touches, from the feathers to the Limoges boxes. It is just wonderful. Thank you so much!

Kate Dickerson said...

I got your message and am now "following" you. Would love it if you followed my blog, too.

http://discoveryourjoiedevivre.blogspot.com/

I don't usually ask this, but we obviously have similar taste!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING today with SUSAN on her porch, Come see what a Beautiful table she has set for us and peek in on everyone else @
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2010/09/welcome-to-106th-tablescape-thursday.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20BetweenNapsOnThePorch%20%28BETWEEN%20NAPS%20ON%20THE%20PORCH%29

Miss Merry said...

What wonderful things you have. A beautiful and whimsical tea party!

Table Escapes said...

Great up close photography makes your tablescape so intriguing...and it doesn't hurt that your nature theme arrangement is so adorable.

Anonymous said...

Such lovely photographs! I love your red and white theme too-I have showcased red and white tables this week!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

sweet violets said...

Very sensitive photography...beautiful and sentimental slice of life, thanks for sharing...hugs,Cleo

Amy Chalmers said...

I just have to say I totally agree that one must watch birds with an antique parisian opera glass. I have my own set sitting by the window!
So fun!

Tea in Texas said...

Absolutely beautiful tablescape! The Furnival brown quail teapot is a favorite of mine. The detail is in the decorations! You gave alot of thought to your lovely tablescape.