CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"FALL Pies, Pies, & More Pies"!!!

"Ah"! There is NOTHING like "The PORCH of the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Massachusetts"(top picture)...I can NEVER pay a visit there without coming home and "Spreading my domestic wings"... SO, Let's plan to warm up the kitchen with Home Baked Pies... See that picture there on the left? The Pennsylvania Dutch Shoofly Pie? WELL, I have NEVER made it AND seeing as I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE anything made with MOLASSES AND I don't live close enough to Pennsylvania to satisfy my sweet tooth with the delightful dessert, I HAVE been searching my cookbooks AND the internet with little help. Oh Yes I have found tons of recipes that claim the fame, but when I read the reviews I'm not sure which to attempt. This one pictured here looks as though it MAY be my first try , NOW Ladies if "ANYONE" has a tried and true recipe that is NOT "TOP SECRET" material, I would LOVE to hear from you... How about you Lynn, you live in Pennsylvania(Lucky You), DO YOU know the secret to this pie I crave???
A flock of turkeys thought it looked safe to graze outside my window when they saw my cookbooks were NOT for Thanksgiving... "Graze away Girls, and DO leave me a feather or two if you don't mind... I LOVE them in my flower arrangements"!!!
My little squirrel wandered in from his busy schedule in the trees to see if I have PLANS for making NUT BREADS... "Of Course I do silly guy"!
The little pumpkin is from the Terrafirma Pottery hand made in Manhattan, NY... each piece is hand signed & dated and basically a one of a kind...
AH! cooking with flowers, YUMMY, and this recipe is for Stuffed Zucchini Flowers... I haven't made it in years, Hmmm, maybe for Thanksgiving...Oh Oh!!! I heard a disturbance outside... The ladies got FLUSTERED when I said  thanksgiving"!
AH, PIES!!! Is there a better word??? It is the #1 crowd pleaser in my family of men... OK the ladies love them too... AND I can NEVER have enough recipes... Even the pies that I have mastered, I would NEVER hesitate to ask you for your recipe AND I would always try it!!!
"Oh My Goodness"... a recipe for Scrambled Brains!!! actually there are "2 recipes" here for them... Is there a BIG CALLING for scrambled brains. Has anyone EVER asked you "How do you scramble YOUR brains AND may I have your recipe"??? I just can NOT see excitement at my house if anyone asked, "What's for breakfast", and I say, "Scrambled Brains"... I think you would see EVERYONE Scrambling for the car to go OUT TO EAT!!!
"WHO'S Brain are you Scrambling"??? Go back to the Pumpkin Recipes!!!
I'm LINKING to one of my favorites "Friday's Favorites" at the Whistlestop Cafe Cooking... Come by and see all the fun... Gee I wonder if she ever made "Scrambled Brains"!!!
http://whistlestopcooking.blogspot.com/2010/10/fridays-favorite.html 
"I'm ALSO Linking to Artie and you MUST come see his incredible blog... You will NOT be disappointed... LOVE HIS WORK"... 
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/10/vignette-friday-week-eleven.html

32 comments:

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Oh Sweetie!!! I have scrambled brains EVERY day....but yet I manage to lead a somewhat normal life...aside from the occasional multiple trips to the grocery store because I cannot remember everything I need at one time....and the random nasty gram from the cable company 'cause I'm walking around (three weeks after the due date) with my payment still in my purse....but all in all - a pretty normal life.

Sarah said...

Donna, no scrambled brains for me, but nut breads and pies I'll gladly line up behind your guys. I've been out of town visiting my mom who celebrated 96 years yesterday. Now that I'm back home I want to get the house looking a bit like fall. Then I want to do some baking. Perfect weather to use the oven. ;-)
Have a beautiful day. ~ Sarah

Barbara said...

Oh, I just loved seeing your photos. Your turkeys are just wonderful! I love cookbooks too and you have inspired me to spend some time looking through them today.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
yes, there was a time, you could buy brain in the supermarket in Germany. Long, long ago. Not anymore after all the BSE-Alarm in the recent years. But I don't care, because I could not even try to eat brain. Brrrr!
The pie recipes look much better and the turkeys are beautiful. But I guess, they are not ready for thanksgiving? :-)
Greetings, Johanna

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Ohhhh, look at all those wild turkeys!

Around here, Apple Pie made with Mac apples, is the favorite. :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pie sounds divine! I love chess pie, and chocolate chess is one of my very favorites!

Love those turkeys, too.

I just saw that your brother has been ill, and I hope he is better soon. My husband had surgery which has kept me off the blogs, but he is much better now.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Brains and eggs used to be a southern favorite...I remember them from my childhood...I think the brains were bought in a can at the grocery store...I don't remember eating them ...I was a finicky eater...
You just added eggs to the brains and scrambled them in a skillet!!!
I think I'd rather have a pie!!!

acorn hollow said...

I too have been cooking but not pies scones. Your pictures look all warm and cozy. I think I will start the fireplace tonight.
or maybe cook some brains. Sounds like a halloween recipe.
Cathy

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm linking to Sheila's PORCH PARTY...DUH, I know there is no porch here SO I'll have to go rummage and see if I can ADD ONE to my post!!!
Come check out everyone's BEAUTIFUL fall PORCH displays @
http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/10/vintage-inspiration-6-porch-party.html

Debra@CommonGround said...

Just gorgeous table, and LOVE those turkey girls! That's a pretty big flock you have. The pies sound wonderful, Yummy! I've always wondered what shoo fly pie was. thanks for linking in for VIF!
xo,
Debra

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if this your yard art post, as I'm having trouble scrolling today. In any event, I like your bird bath and this is a beautifully photographed and composed post!

Gina

http://thepaganeye.blogspot.com/2010/10/yard-art-on-thursday.html

Faythe said...

What a lovely post! your photo & story is wonderful! I am stopping over from Work of the Poet. I love the gathering of turkeys, we have some, but I always seem to miss seeing them, occ hear them! I love your outdoor squirrel, he looks old too. And the recipe book w/scrambled brains! that has to be old as well! I doubt I ever ate them knowingly, but my gran could cook anything & it was tasty! my story is here is you are so inclined:
http://grammymousetails.blogspot.com/2010/10/harry-potter-and-crazy-three-heads.html
`hugs, Faythe @GMT (new to these party type posts)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I'm LINKING to SHOW and TELL FRIDAY" AND you need to come visit SO MANY wonderful posts over there. These are incredibly fun to check out @
http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2010/10/show-and-tell-friday.html

mo said...

Hi Donna,

Your post is beautiful. So is your blog! I am glad I found you. Your pictures are so rich with autumn colors and flavors. Your majolica dish is stunning. *hugs*
p.s. love your side bar pictures. *wink*

My Cottage Charm said...

Hey sweet lady! :) I am in the mood to bake too..must be the crisp fall feel in the air! :) I think I would like to make an apple crisp...or baked apples covered in a flaky crust, filled brown sugar, butter and cinnamon! :) yum yum!
I love the wild turkeys! We have a heron that visits the pond behind our house....I always tell my little boy that "my bird" is out there. He always says, "momma, that's not really your bird". :) (but I know he loves it too!)
have a great weekend!
HUGS
Missy

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

oohhhhhh yummy! Sho Fly pie is one of our favorites!! Our Aunt & Uncle lived in PA when we were little tots & that was one of our favorite treats to get when we'd visit!
If you'd like it...we could hunt that recipe down :)
Karla & Karrie

Pam Kessler said...

What a cute post. The turkeys are so pretty - I may not be able to eat one this year.

Theresa MacNaughton said...

I thought that Inn looked familiar! We love that place. There is nothing like New England in the fall! :) And look at your back yard and all those turkeys. One year, we noticed a bunch of them hanging out in the back yard. Then all of a sudden, they all flew away - except for one guy who must have been tired as he just walked across the road! Happy weekend and happy pie-making! Theresa

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Donna, I must ask, do you really live in that sweet home with the thatched roof at the top of your blog? Its a dream for me to live in a sweet cottage like that. I'm in PA, Lanc. county as a matter of fact the bakery down the street makes a great shoo-fly pie. I have naver made one but my Grand Mom did.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Kathleen said...

I have been to the Red Lion Inn, and Eastover, in my younger says, LOL!
I love pies, dh is the master pie baker. I am ok, but he is better, and I don't want to deprive him of the work! :)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I'm LINKING to SEASONAL SUNDAYS"!!! Come see all the beautiful decor everyone is displaying...
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2010/10/seasonal-sundays-19-fall-vignettes.html

The Tablescaper said...

I have never been to the Red Lion Inn but have heard much of it and would love to go!

Love your post. It certainly captures the spirit of the season. I can't believe all of those turkeys in your yard!

Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

bj said...

I've heard of them all my looong life but have never even tasted a shoo-fly, much less baked one. :)
I'm getting all ready for a good, homebaked Pumpkin with lots of whipped cream.
xo bj

Brenda Pruitt said...

I'm no expert at pies. I can make the filling, the meringue if need be. But I'm a failure at the crust!
Brenda

Diann said...

OMG, I am starving now! All of it looked so good!I haven't had ShooFly pie since the last time I was in PA either which has been about 6 years. I loved it!! My grandma used to make it but, she has been gone for 16 years.

Carolyn said...

I have never had shoofly pie! :( I must take notice they next time I am at a restaurant with pie on the menu... Your little squirrel is adorable!

shannon i olson said...

what a lovely table....great color and makes me want to dive into baking!
Just lovely

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Funny, Funny~ thanks for the giggle this morning. I have never made scrambled brains... not to say that I haven't had a scrambled brain on occasion. Even a scrambled word game will scramble my brain.:-)
Those turkeys are amazing! I hope they dropped a feather or two.
another fabulous friday's favorite for sure!

Lynn said...

Hi Donna! Look at those turkeys-too fun!!! You know, I've never had shoofly pie either, we owned a diner (read: greasy spoon) and I'd bake at least three pies a night, never tried that one! Raisin-yep, shoofly no... I love molasses too, might be something to look into!

Lindy said...

Your beautiful pictures and funny story put me in the fall mood. I'm no cook but I love to read about it and looking a pictures of food....go figure!

Jorgelina said...

Your post is beautiful!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Hi Donna,

Thank you for visiting my blog and becoming my newest follower. I really appreciate it.

Your blog is beautiful and your photos are outstanding. You have a real talent for photography. I'm having a fabulous time looking around and plan to return often.

I would love to visit the Red Lion Inn one day. If I remember correctly, Country Curtains has a shop there. Their curtains are fabulous and I've used their early American tab model for years.

In fact we had planned to visit the northeast this fall, see the leaves and go to Plymouth, Mass. We learned this year that we both are decendants of the Mayflower immigrants. Time slipped away, so it's on the list for next year.
Sam