CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, May 7, 2012

"HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY"... "My Mom's Cookie Jar"

"Happy Mother's Day to My Sweet Mom"... AND "Happy Mother's Day to all of Our Very Special Ladies in The Land of Blog"...Whether you have one child, three or 4, no children, or a WHOLE SHOE FULL, those of you who make our lives "Sweet as Sugar and are always there for us" are Loved on Mother's Day and held in the heart of so many...All You who nurture and comfort us all in our times of need and beyond..."I Love you all and Big Squishy Hugs to you today and Always"!!!
"Peek a Boo" was always filled with Mom's homemade cookies...Her little Bunny Belly was ALWAYS full...Did you notice her Sweet little bunny ears Look Like a Heart? I only display her for the month of February..."She is my Special Valentine"..."Peek A Boo" is a rare cookie jar designed by Ruth Van Tellingen back in the 1940s...
LOVE all my Friends here in the Land of Blog! "Sherry from Back 2 Vintage" has come to my rescue with the name and manufacturer of my Crystal cup & saucer...This beauty is "Indiana Glass" in the "Pretzel" pattern or as they refer to it "no.622". Sherry found it in her "Gene Florence Glassware Book" and this PRETZEL pattern was made between the 30s-80s... "Giant Squishy Hugs" Sherry to you for coming to my rescue!!! You can visit Sweet Sherry here 
A GW treasure that followed me home... I have tried to identify this beautiful cup&saucer with no luck until Sherry helped me out(Love you Sherry for all your help)...  This pattern is gorgeous, and I would LOVE to own a small set... OR "at least" one more cup&saucer...The pattern name "Pretzel" fits it perfectly!!! This Cup&Saucer was made in the 1930s. It blends with just about every vignette... adding sparkle without overwhelming the scene...
"Oh My Goodness", it was such a treat to have a sniffle in the 50s and the luxury of patting your nose with a delicate hankie... My Mom always made sure I never left home without a "Crisply ironed Floral Bouquet" tucked in my pocket... "It's hard to imagine how these little treasures survived the endless attention they received"...
"What little girl hasn't sung this sweet song and acted out her own interpretation of being a Little Teapot"... Is there Anyone who doesn't know this tune???
Ms Potts was there the Moment I mentioned the title of her "Favorite Song"... Some days I can hear her humming the tune from her high shelf in my kitchen...
Add caption
Did you know that this song "Also" had a dance??? It's called "The Teapot Tip"... and on the back page of the sheet music there is a full page dedicated to teaching you "Just the right steps and gestures"...How adorable is This???
"Somehow I just can't imagine the men doing this"... although I just may check out YouTube to see if there is PROOF they did, hehe... I'm a Little Teapot was printed on Broadway, New York City in MCMXLI(1941)
This "IS" my Mom's song!!! I knew the lyrics to Mairzy Doats before I could read... My Mom would be bobbing around the kitchen in the 50s, baking cookies for Peek A Boo and humming a happy tune... Sounds like a Disney Movie, but that's what my life was like with my Mom... "A Happily Ever After Life"...
Mom grew up on a Huge Farm in northern Maine and was part of an Old Fashioned Farm Family... If they didn't grow it or raise it, it wasn't part of their meal or life... She actually went to school by "A Horse Team drawn Sleigh"... She said the sleigh was SO BIG they had a contained fire on it to keep them warm... I love to listen to all her life stories and she is was always so generous with telling them... "Wouldn't you have LOVED to go to school by a Horse drawn Sleigh"???
Mairzy Doats (1943)
Can you hear Mom humming??? It's a beautiful world when she sings...
I "Love" this photo of her in Maine... I'm not sure how old she is (maybe 16)... She is the Most Beautiful Lady I know...
I LOVE this picture... Maybe Mom is about 10 to 12 here... Look at her smile with her puppy... "So Precious"!!!
Royal Doulton made this teacup&saucer with Cinderella's little friends Jaq&Gus... I wish they had made some without the little guys in the cup because it would be SO nice to have tea with them... Hmmm...Having tea with them swimming in your cup is Just Not Convenient... Their little tails kept "Tickling my nose"!!!
See Moms tea cloth embroidery... She "LOVED" doing this and I LOVE having them to treasure... She was always making something... Sometimes when I woke up in the morning, My Tammy Doll Case would be open on my nightstand... Mom had made her a beautiful new outfit... and  Tammy would be standing there, modeling it to surprise me!!!
One of Mom's favorite books and movies was "The Egg and I"... I have seen the movie so many times and what's NOT to love about a Women following her Hubby's dream(before you even START you must THROW Woman's Lib OUT the window)!!! Recently I found the book which was a "MUST HAVE"! A true delight, Cover to Cover!!!  Of Course "The Egg and I" Movie ALSO introduced us to "Ma & Pa Kettle", and we MUST say Thank you for that alone! You can watch the movie trailer from 1947 "The Egg and I" on YouTube or TCM...One of my favorite parts is HER STOVE(which had a personality all it's own!!!

"My Mom will be 88 on May 28th"



I'm Linking To 
the highlighted parties this week
"Seasonal Sundays@The Tablescaper"
"Blue Monday@Smiling Sally"  
"Nifty Thrifty Tuesday@Coastal Charm" 
"Tea Time Tuesday@Rose Chintz Cottage" 
"A Return to Loveliness@A Delightsome Life" 
"Table Top Tuesday@A Stroll Thru Life" 
"Tea Cup Tuesday@Artful Affirmations" 
"Wow Us Wednesday@Savvy Southern Style" 
"Share your Cup Thursday@Have a daily cup of Mrs.Olsen" 
"Home and Garden Thursday@A Delightsome Life" 
"Let's Dish@Cuisine Kathleen" 
"Vintage Thingie Thursday@Coloradolady" 
"Cottage Garden Party@Fishtail Cottage" 
"Time Travel Thursday@The Brambleberry Cottage" 
"Open House Party Thursday@No Minimalist Here" 
"Tablescape Thursday@Between Naps on the Porch" 
"Vintage Inspiration@Common Ground" 
 "Feathered Nest FRIDAY@French Country Cottage"
"THRIFTY THINGS FRIDAY@The Thrifty Groove" 

"Home Sweet Home Friday@The Charm of Home"



























150 comments:

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
what a lovely tribute to your Mom. She is really a beauty and no doubt, you are very like her. I don't know this musics but it seems me very nice. And your Vignettes are so lovely, I enjoyed them very much.
Hey girl, I just discovered my book on your sidebar. Thank you so much, this is so sweet.
You are such a kind person. Have a wonderful week.
Greetings, Johanna

Ana said...

Hi Donna,
This just has to be the sweetest post ever...What a beautiful tribute to your mom. Thank you so much for sharing. Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Marlis said...

I love your post! What wonderful memories you've awakened. Truly beautiful pictures of your mom. Both of you are lovely ladies.

paperbutterfly said...

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. My mom grew up on a farm as well. Sang Mairzy Doats. Love to embroider. You have an incredible collection of many pretties and always so great history to pass on. Many thanks for joining us at TTTT.
Have a blessed week.
Pam

Unknown said...

yes thank you for the trip down memory lane...That cookie jar is really neat! Mica

NanE said...

Great post today! Oh my gosh, that cookie jar is amazing, so cute. Wonderful old songs too and I remember them both. Have a Happy Valentines Day, Nan

Infatuated with Homes and Gardens said...

What a sweet post ,imagine a cookie jar kept full of home made cookies yummo!

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Dazzling ... what memories.

Sue
xo

The French Bear said...

Donna, love this post....such a wonderful post getting to know about your Mom and how lovely that she told you all the stories of her growing up years.....I love to hear them!!!! Her photos are beautiful and so are all the gorgeous things she collected. I remember my family singing and playing the piano to Mairzy Doats!!! Don't think I know the egg and I, have to check that one!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Melody said...

What a great post. You have the most fabulous things. I'm so glad I found your blog, It's wonderful.

Sherri said...

Donna, what a wonderful, sweet post! You Mom is a very special woman! I have my mother-in-laws "hankie" collection and they look just like the ones you have! I love the Peek a Boo cookie jar! Thanks for sharing!

Jojo said...

I'd forgotten all about Mairzy Doats! Now I'll be humming that song all day long!

Love the Peek-a-Boo Cookie jar and all the memories that go with it

The Bear's Blog said...

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the beautiful pictures and your precious memories. I miss my parents so much sometimes I don't think I can breathe.

Ah, the hankies. Yes, me too, you always had a pretty hankie in your school bag, purse, your coat pocket....and I have all of them to enjoy.

Hugs,
Joyce

I saw that wonderful teddy bear!!!

Vintage Gal said...

Great Post ~ your mom just sounds lovely. The cookie jar is adorable ;-)

Lynn said...

Just beautiful Donna! Lovin' the pretty hankies, and I hope you find some more of those great cups and saucers:@)

Maggie said...

Oh! Donna,
what lovely memories you have shared with us today,I love all of your momentos from your childhood days.

Deb said...

I really enjoyed this post and will read it again. The visuals were breathtaking. I think your mom was a beauty as was mine. I have done a tribute to mine before and I think it may be time to do another. We were two very fortunate daughters by the sounds of it. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Donna, your vignettes are so lovely. It's so interesting to hear about your Mom and all the amazing needlework she did. Your beautiful crystal teacup and saucer is made by Indiana Glass and is called "Pretzel" though the company called is "No. 622." According to my Gene Florence glassware book, it was made from the late 30's - 80's. I hope this helps...Thanks for sharing all your treasures with us!
Sherry

Unknown said...

Donna...a throughly charming post! I just love it all...the cookie jar is fabulous and that embroidered tea cloth...I would LOVE to have that pattern for my embroidery basket. And hankies, I have a basket of those too. Mostly ones that were my mother-in-laws.

Blessings!
Gail

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Thanks for the trip. Lovely cottage you have.

LV said...

What a delightful post. Enjoyed your blog and the reds you shared. That cookie jar is the the best. I never saw that one.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

So special and such a loving tribute. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

What a wonderful post...a trip down memory lane for both of us! The cookie jsr is adorable! I remember singing I'm a little teapot with my Mom and she would sing Mairzy Doats! Miss her so, hug your Mom for me.

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

How sweet. Love the crystal and Hydrenga touches.

Anonymous said...

What a delightful post! I do remember those songs and love them too. Love the cookie jar, cutest thing ever! And I love the pic of your mom and her puppy, so sweet! :D

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Donna, thanks for your very kind words while visiting my blog. I did post the empty silver platter a couple of weeks ago on a vintage find post. it was 10$ and it cleaned up great.
you made me smile today!!

Pam Kessler said...

Pretty cookie jar. And I love the hankies. I have a whole box of them that were my Grandma's. They have the cutest designs on them.

Betty said...

I have enjoyed seeing the wonderful pictures. My Mom had a cookie jar that she bought in the early 40s. It is blue and a pope. I still have it and it is still in good condition with minor wear. They do bring back good memories don't they.

Heather said...

Hello, Donna! Thank you for visiting my blog. I was thrilled when I read the comment written by you. I have visited your blog several times per a recommendation from my mom at La Vie Quotidienne, and I am quite the fan. You post such lovely things! Thank you!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Oh, Donna, there is soooo much in this post to talk about! You could do a separate post on EACH photo you have here! I remember that teapot dance--I must have learned it in kindergarden or ballet--and I always had to perform for the relatives! And your mom is beautiful. She must have amazing stories about life in Maine with a sleigh! And we think it is hard to shovel the driveway. I had so many of those hankies when I was little. And a Tammy doll! You are the first person I ever knew who also had one!! I really wanted Barbie, but my younger sister got her. I think my parents liked Tammy because she was in all those movies and she was so pretty and proper! (A little different than the Barbie image!) I'm going back to scroll through again! Linda :)

Pamela Gordon said...

What a lovely post with all those darling items from the 50's. I remember singing "I'm a Little Teapot" as a child. But my favorite was
"The Teddy Bears Picnic" which was on a little 45 record. I love the pretty hankies too. Such sweet memories. Thanks for sharing. Blessings,Pamela

Red Couch Recipes said...

Donna -- what a happy post filled with happy memories. My dad also went to school on a horse-drawn sleigh. Handkerchiefs, for the most part have gone away...sigh. The Peekaboo cookie jar is soooo cute. Your mom is a beauty. What fun vintage music you collect. I need to watch the Egg and I. Joni

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This whole post is simply stunning and I just can't think of anything else to add...except how beautiful it all is.

★Carol★ said...

What an incredibly sweet tribute to your Mom, and that Peek a Boo cookie jar couldn't be cuter! What a wonderful family heirloom!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

Dianne said...

Another beautiful post with such sweet sentiments. I enjoyed every photo and the trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing. Dianne

xinex said...

This is the loveliest and sweetest post, Donna. I can just see how wonderful your mom is. She is also very pretty. Love the cookie jar, the hankies, the coffee cup and saucer and the stories of how your mom surprised you with doll clothes she made. What beautiful memories!....Christine

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful photos and memories! I can tell how special you Mom was! Love the teacup and saucer and so glad Sherry could help you out, she is a great gal! This was a very sweet and nostalgic post! hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

First I have to say that your banner photo is just amazing! And you must be just like your pretty Mom....just full of life. It comes thru in your words. :) I have had a white tree for years and now it has turned a very mellow color which I love to use at Christmas time but I wanted a true white tree for Valentine's and picked one up after Christmas at the dollar store for 75% off which made it $2.50...what a buy. And it's actually a pretty nice tree and 3 feet tall...perfect for the window ledge. I will do it up for Easter too I think. :) A happy Valentine's to you and full of chocolate I hope. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Donna,
What a post! I know I'm going to forget something, but here goes. Love the pictures of your mother. The handkerchiefs are Beautiful!
The cup and saucer are lovely. Sweet cookie jar!
Never knew how Mairzy Doats was spelled, but I'm sure to be singing that song for the rest of the week!
Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! What a lovely post! That is the most precious little cookie jar I've ever seen!! Beautiful memories! What a pretty mother!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pam said...

Thanks for the memories. A beautiful tribute to your mom. She was a lovely young lady and I'm sure equally beautiful woman.

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Donna, what wonderful memories your Mom gave you! The pics are wonderful ... I almost feel like I can reach out and touch your beautiful treasures! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Sarah said...

Donna, you are the best at pulling together treasures and wonderful memories. Love the idea of the Tea Pot Tip dance! Your mom is a beautiful lady. What an interesting life she must have had. You should have her record or write down all her stories.
Wonderful post! ~ Sarah

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh your mom was so pretty! I love that darling cookie jar. My Dad always sang that song as well. Fun post.

Debbie said...

Of all your posts, this might be my very favorite. That's really saying something because I have liked so many.

THIS, though, with the beautiful hankies and the sheet music took me down a beautiful journey of memory. My mom loves "Mairzy Dotes" too and still sings it often. We call one of my daughters "Mairzy" as a nickname for Mary because of the song.

You have wonderful taste in treasures, Donna!

Becky said...

Donna, what a special tribute to your Mom. She sounds like such a very special person. Much like my Mom. I too remember Mairzy Doats, I'm a Little Teapot, waking up to new doll clothes, etc. I love the way you've put everything together in this vignette. Thanks for joining in on our Colours of Love party.

Phyllis said...

This tribute to your mom was heart warming and full of love. The 1940's hold dear memories for me as I was born in the beginning of that decade. I recall the songs you mentioned and even sang them. You will laugh when I reveal that I never knew how to spell "Mairzy Doats"...as a child I only heard Merry Oats....LOL....and little lambs eat ivy. Love the handkerchiefs......maybe I should start a collection of those....LOL Please drop by and visit my at my new blog.

A Toile Tale said...

Donna --
I taught my grandsons Mairzy Doats when I was with them this Christmas. They got such a kick out of it. I think I'll skype them and see if they remember it. Stay warm!
Linda @ A Toile Tale

Dena E's Blog said...

Wow Sweetie, what an awesome post and blog you have.. Its soooo DELIGHTFUL!!! Thanks for sharing your heart with all of us .. My Mom use to sing a little song sometimes when I was a kid called Marzy Dotes,,how neat is that to visit and have that sweet reminder..
LOVE the cookie jar too btw!!!
Blessings and love from our LORD above~~~Hugs Dena

Dena E's Blog said...

And,, the Lil' Tea Pot melody my Daddy sang too..Also, is that your home??? WOW,,its amazing!!!
Hugs Dena

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
What a treasure trove of goodies and memories! Beautiful! A sleigh rise to school, fantastic!
Hugs,
Bella

Candy @ The Little Round Table said...

I knew this would be special, even before the page loaded. Always something beautiful and this one is sweetened with such wonderful memories too. :-)

Thanks so much for joining my first linky party on The Little Round Table and I hope that you will be able to visit again soon.

Candy

Susan Freeman said...

Hi Donna! What a wonderful childhood your mother must have had. I always wanted to grow up on a farm. This is a wonderful post, and I especially like those sweet hankies!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What beautiful memories you have to share with us. I was taken with all the hankies, I have 2 of the same ones, what treasures. Glad you found the name for your cup and saucer.
hugs ~lynne~

The Charm of Home said...

What a sweet post about your Mom. She was a beautiful lady. Love it when people have kept sweet things that belonged to their beloved family. I have just a few treasures too. Such fun to pull them out and use them.:)
Sherry

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post and lovely stories. I love all the things you shared, your mother was certainly talented. That cookie jar is just the cutest thing!

Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

What a great post about your mom! I love the photos and all your wonderful linens. I can't wait to see "the Egg and I" on you tube. I just love old movies.

:) Michelle

Katherine said...

Such a sweet post and a wonderful tribute to your mother!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good Evening Donna, you have some really PRICELESS treasure's there my friend...that cookies jar is to die 4 and those hankies my mama always had a hankie tucked in her bra strap..don't ask me why her bra she just did ha ha!! Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I loved everything about this post. Such a wonderful tribute to your mother, and what a beautiful lady. That cookie jar is absolutely adorable. Such pretty hankies, and what a wonderful memory to have of your mother making sure you had one each day. Your mother sounds like such a wonderful person. I STILL sing Mairzy Doats frequently. My children roll their eyes, and my grandchildren laugh out loud. Oh I do wish there was a photograph of that sleigh! I'd love to see that. Thank you so much for linking this wonderful post to the Valentine Party. laurie

Pattie Tierney said...

What a charming post! I have visited your blog many times, Donna, and I thank you for visiting mine today. I am your newest follower and look forward to what's to come. All of your pictures and commentary today were so special to me. My mother did the same type of embroidery that yours did. I have two pot holders with such tiny, perfect stitches, that she made when she was 16! The sheet music is special as well since I come from a musical family. My father played in an army band in WWII and still arranges music and plays in a local jazz band and he's 86!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

What a wonderful post! As soon as I saw "Peek a Boo" and the little heart ears, I smiled from ear to ear. Nice that her belly was always full. What a special Valentine! My mom sang the little teapot song in front of an audience when she was 6, and stopped during the song to say hello to her mother :-) She yelled Hi Mommy!!

Happy Valentine's to you.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Wonderful post packed with vintage goodness!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Hugs,
Tammy

Decor To Adore said...

Oh Donna I just loved this post!

I wanted to invite you to the two linky parties I am planning. The first will be on February 23~ High Tea Tablescapes. Details can be found on my Wednesday posts. There will be PRIZES!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You have such unique items. Wonderful all of them! Have a great Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. I tear up any time I see a peek-a-boo. When I was very young we had hugging peek-a-boos. Don't know if they were shakers or canisters. Quite large. My sister and I would play with them and I dropped and broke one. My mother's disappointment haunts me to this day.

Unknown said...

I adore all your photo's. I love the old time music sheets you have. The songs were songs I can recall as a child..Back in the day when you could understand the lyrics..Have a wonderful Valentine's day..
Maybe you would peek at my vintage Valentines..
Yours Sincerely,
Shirley

Daphne said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories for The Colors of Love party. I enjoyed learning about your mother.

Unknown said...

Donna, what beautiful memories & items to share with us. So love the hankies ...

Happy Valentine's PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful learning about your sweet momma. Have a wonderful Pink Saturday and Valentine's Day.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post and tribute to your Mom, so love the hankies, I love all the same things and grew up in the 40's-50's, thanks for coming by for Tea, I hope you enjoyed your self! Happy Valentine's day and Happy Pink Saturday~ Marilou

Jacqueline said...

What a wonderful tribute and what wonderful pictures you have of your lovely mother. I adore that Valentine rabbit, so cute in its button popping outfit. I remember those songs too and my dad told similar stories of going to school, days gone by, but what treasures to hold. Have a wonderful Pink Saturday and Valentine's Day too.

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

I learned Mairzy Doats when I was about four and that was a looooong time ago! Aren't those old songs the best?
Love your Mom's cook jar and I have never seen one like that in all my jaunts through antique stores across the country...just as cute as can be!
Fun post!
Happy Pink Saturday And Happy Valentines Day, too!
Jil

Ricki Treleaven said...

Donna, your posts always make me so happy. I can't imagine going to school in a sleigh like your mom, but my kids had yet another snow day here in Alabama yesterday. Peek a Boo is so cute. What a neat thing to display during February. I am unfamiliar with the song "Mairzy Doats." I need to Google it!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a beautiful post Donna~ absolutely delightful!! I love that cookie jar-it is just so sweet!! Your vignettes are quite pretty -thank you for sharing your wonderful memories and thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Gabriela Delworth * Instructional Designer and Professional Crafts Designer said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

This cookie jar is so cute! Is the Bunny asking for more cookies...hinting with its hands?


~ Gabriela ~

Bohemian said...

What a delightfully nostalgic Post for Valentine's Day! Bring back many memories as these were also some of the images of my childhood. Now I have the tune of Mairzy Dotes playing in my head! *winks*

Happy Valentine's Day... Dawn... The Bohemian

Linda said...

What a nice post! My Mom had a pig cookie jar all of our lives and my sister has it now...it was a great memory and I enjoy remembering my youth when I see it in my sister's kitchen!

chateau de fleurs said...

Hi Donna, what precious memories you have of growing up and your sweet Mother, I loved seeing all your pictures and what each item meant to you. thanks for coming by my blog to say hi! Christie

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Donna, I'm back for my second comment because this post is so precious--I love it all. I'm trying to do that teapot dance--it's different than the one I learned. I would love to see the men do it--they probably did!! And I would also love to go to school in a sleigh! Have a nice evening--I'm home alone as hubby is off with the boy scouts! Stop by my post if you have time! Linda

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. I love the cookie jar and specially the hankies. What wonderful things for you to treasure.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Manni said...

Hi Donna
Absolutely Love your blog!! I love that you have these treasures which you are sharing with us.
Thanks for sharing :)
Manni
www.ibakecakes-manni.blogspot.com

The Tablescaper said...

Such wonderful memories and you've brought them all back to life. What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Tania said...

Hello donna, Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself and leaving a sweet comment. I love this post and the tribute to your mum, The cookie jar is so sweet and i just love the hankies. thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Love your collection of hankies & your wonderful photos of your mom! Thanks for sharing~ Happy Valentine's!

bj said...

O, Donna, this is a most LOVE-FILLED post. I just love everything you are showing us...especially the lovely photos of your mama...

The Charm of Home said...

Thanks you for joining me at my party! Making the rounds twice to make sure I thanked everyone!
Sherry

Tess said...

Donna...what a wonderful post. My mother loved "The Egg and I" as well. I remember her giving it to me to read when I was a teenager. Your memories are presented so beautifully in this post.

Thank you for sharing!

Tess

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh my gosh!! Donna Peek a Boo is just precious! I love her! What a wonderful treasure!
xx, shell

Sharlotte said...

Donna,
I love this sweet post. Your mother's treasures are just lovely and her pictures...what a beautiful lady. You have a great collection of handkerchiefs, I love all the different patterns. And that cookie jar? Precious...looks like he's promising not to look so that you can take just one more tibit! As always, thanks so much for sharing!
Sharlotte

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Such a sweet post... :-) When I was a little girl there was a local kid's program called Wanda Wanda... She sang "I'm a Little Teapot" every day!

Warm blessings,
Spencer

CHERI said...

I just found your blog. Couldn't help but notice you've had 91 comments so far on this post...wow! You are a very popular lady:) I love your cottage...absolutely lovely. Your tribute to your mother is so sweet. I remember my mother singing Mairzy Doats...I thought the words were so funny and I still remember my mother slowing down the song so I would understand what the words were really saying. I hadn't thought of that song in years and years...thanks for reminding me. Now I'm off to look at more of your blog...come visit me sometimes.

Marlis said...

What a delightful post. Love the memories you brought back. A very happy mother's day (albeit belated) to you!

Sarah said...

Donna, I remember this post. It's wonderful. I see those hankies and wonder if the lovely one I now have is from that group. I so appreciate it!
Hope your Mother's Day was filled with delights. ~ Sarah

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful tribute. I love all of your collectibles. That cookie jar is fabulous. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love this post Donna, it's so sweet and full of love...I wonder why I didn't see it before, I'm always looking for you as I love what you do and look,I almost missed this! Your mom was and I'm sure is a beautiful lady, than where would your beauty come from?! I love your cookie jar, and all the memmories, beautiful collectibles and the ones we keep in our hearts are the things that make our life rich, our family traditions and background, such as yours sweetie. Thank you for coming by and for the lovely comments, you're wonderful! PS: I'd love the recipe for animal cookies, is it yours?
Love
FABBY

The French Hutch said...

I'm visiting over from SS, so glad to have found your blog, Love all those collectibles, and you certainly know how to use a camera!
I''ll be your newest follower............

~Emily
The French Hutch

Scribbler said...

Very fun! I loved seeing all the vintage music -- those old songs sound very familiar. Beautifully done.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

How lovely! I would have a terrible time trying to decide WHICH of your treasures I love the most! I host Victorian Teas in my home and I'm thinking I really need to find the sheet music to decorate with too! Did NOT know there was a DANCE called the Teapot Tip -- how funny! Love all of your linens! I'm a new follower!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
What an absolutely charming post and tribute to your beautiful mom! The cookie jar is very cute and I LOVE your Pretzel teacup! The Cinderella cup is too cute!
Love those old songs too.
My mother also grew up on a big farm where everything was grown in the garden or the orchards and all their clothes were handmade. Butter was churned by hand and all the bread and cookies were home made every day but Sunday. My mother also walked to school or was taken by horse and sleigh in the wintertime. A charming picture of days gone by!
Thank you, dear Donna, for sharing this with Tea Time and have a delightful week, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Julie Marie said...

Hi Donna... what a beautiful post to your mama... you are so very blessed she is still here with you... love her darling cookie jar and I can just picture her singing that song as she baked yummy cookies for you... my childhood was alot like yours and my mama was (is) the most beautiful lady in the world to me... I say "is" because even though she is passed away, she still "is" my beautiful mama... she too did all kinds of handwork, embroidery, crochet, knitting, you name it... love all the precious memories your post has conjured up for me... thanks for sharing, and Happy Mothers Day to you and your mama!... xoxo Julie Marie

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Donna, what a loving tribute to your dear Mom. The Pee-a-Boo cookie jar is so charming and I love your pretzel cup and saucer. I taught all my kids and grands the "teapot" song! xoxo

Jacqueline said...

What a lovely, tribute - that is two Mother's Day tributes in a row and I have tears rolling down my cheeks missing my dear mother. She was such a good friend, confidante, mentor and hero. I loved reading about your mother. I especially loved the hankies. I have some of my mother's hankies. Not that I would ever want to use them for that purpose!!! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hi sweet Donna!
I enjoyed your beautiful post in honor of your beautiful mother..I'm not surprised cause her daughter is just as beautiful inside and out! I love the darling cookie jar and all the memories from your mother you have looking at it. I have great memories from my beautiful mother, she was and is so beautiful still. My mom did sew, cook great, crocheted, embroidered, etc...many talents I don't have, lol..I love your vintage music and pretty hankies, your post is gorgeous! I also love your pretzel and Cinderella cups, just adorable. Thanks for sharing and the same to you my dear frend, a very happy Mother's Day too.
Hugs,
FABBY

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A nice tribute to your mom, thanks for sharing all your treasures of hers.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Such a loving tribute to your mom, Donna. Loved going through this sweet post and taking a peek at your treasures, with so many fond memories attached:) The Peek-a-Boo cookie jar is sooo adorable and the delicate hankies bring back so many memories... Thanks for sharing and your sweet note. Hugs,Poppy

Beth said...

Donna, the cookie jar, embroidered tea towels, and handkerchiefs are lovely. What I enjoyed most though was hearing about your mother and your love for her! Happy Mother's Day!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Great tribute to your mom! What a beautiful trip down memory lane...That cookie jar is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Miss Gracie's House said...

Sweet post and such an honor to your mother...it is so sweet that you have these treasures of hers...
Thanks for stopping by!
Rene

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my, what a special and beautiful post about your dear mother. I loved that your mom would tuck a hankie in your pocket when you were a child~just precious. What an adorable cookie jar and those tea towels are just beautiful!

Tea in Texas said...

You brought back wonderful memories with all the lovely things from your Mother. The great cookie jar is just precious! I can see my Mother and hear her humming the same tune "Mairzy Doats". I will share this post with her and know she will enjoy each photo and memory, too. The doll clothes are special to me for she made them for my Madame Alexander dolls.
Thanks for sharing and I know the Teapot Song and still love to sing it! Pam

Terri said...

Oh Donna, such a sweet post! Your mum was very special! Love love and love all your vintage items! Each picture is a delight. I remember the old songs...we sang them all as children.
Hugs,
Terri

Debbiedoos said...

Oh Donna this is such a beautiful and touching post. What a special tribute for a special lady. Thanks for sharing.

Chubby Chieque said...

HI Donna,
I was giggling while reading and browsing down your post. It was a very cute and memorable moment.

I love great Mum cookie jar. That reminds me of mum's too.

Hope you have a nice & day.

Happy TTT,
/CC

Deb said...

Such a sweet, vintage cookie jar. It just makes me smile looking at it. Your mom was a beautiful woman and it was such a romantic time. I love looking back on my mom's black and white photos when she was young. Lovely tribute to your mom. I miss mine everyday. Hugs, Deb

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Donna, How wonderful to have these treasures from your mom. The cookie jar is so adorable. Happy Mothers Day.

Micupoftea said...

Lovely post, sweet memories, nice photos! Yes, throw womens lib out the window and enjoy a charming story...love ma & pa kettle too :)

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness. You have 116 comments! You'll probably never see this, but I have decided that this is my favorite of your posts ever. I relate to so much of it and love the sheet music and the hankies and the cookie jar and just ALL the memories you evoked in me reading this.

And we LOVE "The Egg and I" around here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! Oh, what a wonderful memory filled post. Love your mom's precious little cookie jar! I've never seen one like this. Just darling. Love the olden sheet music you found and the linens. So so dainty and I fill some more wonderful posts coming on.
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh such a special post and such loving memories of growing up and your mom. I so remember all the hankies, yes, I always had one too and I sang the same song. Sounds like your mom and mine would have been great friends. Gorgeous pictures, loved it all, brings back some wonderful memories to me too. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

xinex said...

Happy Mother's Day, Donna! This is such a beautiful tribute to your mom. Your photos are beautiful as usual. Love that vintage cookie jar...Christine

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
I'm so in love with your blog and this beautiful tribut to your Mom.
I went right down memory lane with you and can remember those songs and my Mom singing them.
I have a special cookie jar of my Moms that my Dad brought home to her right after Pearl Harbour. He had survived the attack on his ship. He carried the little sailor cookie jar under his arm all the way from Hawaii.
I'm so glad that you are following my blog and I'm not following yours too. I'll be back often and I look forward to getting to know you better.

hugs
Sissie

Susan Freeman said...

Your Mom is like mine. Cookie baking, singing in the kitchen. We are lucky girls! I can't believe that you watched "The Egg and I" with her. I used to watch it with my Daddy. We would throw our heads back and laugh till it hurt. I have not seen that movie in a long time ~ but after this post I want to see it again. Thanks for a wonderful trip down memory lane!!

Big Hugs from Idaho,
Susan and Bentley

LV said...

A wonderful; presentation and tribute to your mom. Nicely done.

Martha's Favorites said...

Donna: Of all your posts, this one is my favorite. I love the tribute to your Mom. This post was precious. I collect hankies and cookie jars too so that was just an added pleasure. Have a wonderful Mother's Day. Sending lots of hugs, Martha

Sarah said...

Donna, this is such a wonderful post and tribute to your mom. I'm humming several of these tunes now. LOL
It's always a treat to see your vignettes of special treasures and read your lovely descriptions. Happy Mother's Day, dear friend. ~ Sarah

Marlis said...

Totally love this tribute to your mom. I can hear her singing myself. What a lovely bunch of memories you have. And i loved that you shared!!! That is one sweet cookie jar. My grandmother had lots of hankies too. My mom not so much. I love love that you are back.. Have a blessed weekend.. xo marlis

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! I just love everything about it! I remember learning the Teapot Tip when I was little. I should teach my girls. :) Thanks for the book/movie recommendation. I'd LOVE to throw women's lib out the window...ha! :)

HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
Sarah

Barbara F. said...

Wow, another memory awakenening - Mairzy Doats!!! My mother used to sing this to me all the time when I was little. Great post, and a lovely tribute. I now want to watch the movie. Visiting from BNOTP. xo

Sally Annie Magundy said...

I adore this post, such a sweet tribute to your mom and everything is so very charming!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, I love this post. How fun to hear about your mother. She sounds like a wonderful person. I could just envision you waking up to see the open doll case with a new dress on the doll. How wonderful that you have her unique cookie jar, and were all those hankies yours? Yes, I was a "little tea pot" very often in my youth, and the mairzy doats is a fun memory for me too. I remember how it confused me the first few times my mom tried to teach it to me. It's wonderful that your mother passed on such wonderful stories, songs, and treasures to you. laurie

Stacey Stuwe said...

That is the absolute sweetest little cookie jar i've ever seen! What a treasure and wonderful memories of mom to have!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Dear Donna Sweetie...
I love this story about your Momma and the teapot song. I can in my mind just hear her singing to you and baking away in that kitchen. I see Peek-A-Boo just waiting to be stuffed full of cookie goodness.

What treasured memories. Happy early birthday to your precious Momma as well. Give her a big hug for me.

Thank you for sharing your pretzel cup and saucer as well. Isn't it absolutely divine? I love it.

Have a beautiful Mother's Day sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Donna, what a sweet tribute to your mom. The cookie jar is absolutely precious. So fun to hear about your wonderful life growing up. I felt that same way about my childhood. My mom has passed on, but she is in my thoughts daily. Happy Mothers Day to you and thanks for sharing this with Share Your Cup!
Hugs,
Jann

Perfectly Printed said...

What a lovely post!! What a special lady your mom must be!I am your newest follower!!
chris

CEO Lisa Anne - L.A said...

Hi Donna,
What a beautiful post & tribute to your Mother. I love your Mother's cookie jar and embroidered tea cloth. Thanks for sharing your sweet memories with us. Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Lisa

Unknown said...

I love your Mother's Day post.
You are so lucky to have all of these wonderful treasures.
I love the hankies and specially the cookie jar.
Thanks for sharing all.
Michele

Clara said...

Hi Donna! What a beautiful post of pictures and memories. I love your little peek-a-boo cookie jar and the cup and saucer is so pretty. I do hope you find another one. Have a nice day.
~Clara

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Donna! Oh, I hope you'll set a table or set up a vignette with your Currier and Ives dishes! I know it would be outstanding.
Happy Mother's Day to you,
Shelia ;)

Kathleen said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom! I loved her story, sounds like a perfect life!
Thanks so much for linking this to Let's Dish!
Happy Mother's Day, Donna! I am sure your boys will treat you royally!
BTW, I saw your comment on The Tablescapers. The water you saw was the Shinnecock Bay. We are on the South Shore. You have to go over to the North Fork to see the sound. We have the Bay and the ocean.

Sonny G said...

I love that song. I remember how we'd dance along to it..
thanks for the memories and for visiting me. That always makes me smile.
Happy Mothers Day Donna..
hugs
Sonny

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love the cookie jar. My mom always kept our cookie jar filled in the 50s too. She still likes to bake, but at 87 she is slowing down some.
Hugs,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Great Post.
I remember that song. Love that cookie jar. Thank you for sharing it.
Happy Mother's Day!
Pat

Glimpses of Glory said...

Hi Donna,
what a beautiful post! I feel like I know both you and your mom..thank you!
I sang "I'm a little tea pot" at my kindergarten graduation in 1964!
With all the moves! How marvelous to remember!
Thank you and Happy Mother's day to both you and your mom!

glimpsesofglory-karen.blogpot.com/

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Donna,
Such a wonderful post and perfect Mother's Day tribute. You are blessed to have her and all the precious memories she has given you!
Hugs,
Patti

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Such a lovely post and sweet photos of your beautiful mom! The Bunny cookie jar is a treasure and wonderful that it survived sharing all of those homemade cookies.

I have enjoyed visiting with you and scrolling through this delightful post, looking back in time :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a lovely post, Donna! I love all your treasures! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! I'm still loving seeing this sweet post! Hope you're having a great week.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! I just wanted to let your know your 300 Follower Giveaway gift was mailed a week ago Monday and wanted to know if it arrived? Let me know and again Congrats! Hugs Marilou

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Our mothers were about the same age..however I was born just before her 17th birthday.. I miss my Mom..reminders of her are everywhere.