CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bargains, Tea, and a Bear

We are having lots of rain this week so instead of working in my gardens I thought I'd sit here and admire them through my window...
"Do you see Summer out there"??? 
"HAPPY 4th of JULY Everyone"!!!
Of course with the scent of honey from the tea "A good Ol' bear" dropped in and took a seat...

I thought I would share a few of my bargains from my latest treasure hunt with you... I always bring my goodies home, polish them up and initiate them into my cottage...
Do you recognize my "Gnarly Basket" inverted to make a table???  It works perfectly and fits the mood... You can see it in my May Post "Captivated by Kipling",
 where it served as a basket... I'm not quite sure "WHAT" it was intended to be, but I have a theory... It was made by the forest friends and used as a playpen for their little ones! Hey, I told you it was My Theory AND this is My Blog, so I'm sticking to it!
First let me introduce my MUG, or at least I thought it was a mug...I was very excited with it's cute little cottage look and price of $1... So... I trotted off to the register to claim it and take it home!
After giving it a bubble bath, I made myself a cup of coffee, made myself comfy and then proceeded to look my little treasure find up...  MAYBE I could find another mug or plate "OR" MAYBE a teapot, to keep it company... Oh Yes!!! Well as I typed in "Price Kensington Cottageware" made in England, UP POPPED my mug...WHICH wasn't a mug at all!!! It was part of a cup & saucer "SET"... AND the worst part "WAS" that I had seen the saucer at GW(NO they were NOT together in the store) and passed it by... """OH NO"""!!! What was I to do!!!  Well, after a VERY SLEEPLESS night, I headed BACK to GW to claim my saucer!!! and as you can see they are now very happily reunited... "Do you know my coffee tastes better in this cup NOW that it's had it's reunion with it's saucer"??? I can see them smiling at each other as I do my little happy dance!!!
This Antique Figural Teapot is "Bennington Pottery's Rebecca at the Well"..."It was made between 1850 & 1870" and followed me home from another thrift shop for $1 the VERY NEXT day! I had cleaned it up and set it in my front window... While admiring it "I had an idea"!!! The "Cottageware Cup & Saucer" would make a WONDERFUL set with this pot...Just look at Rebecca at the well! Doesn't she look like she lives in that sweet little cottage on the cup??? "PERFECT"!   The figural pot has the same scene on both sides...
I want to "Thank" Sherry @Back2Vintage For helping me  identify my teapot! She is always so helpful! and if you haven't visited her blog yet... "Please Do"... You will be in for a Big Treat!!! "While you're there, give her a HUG from me"!!!
It seems like yesterday I was showing you how HIGH the snow was piled outside this window... and NOW it's replaced with the most beautiful display of magenta pink...
This is "Spirea Neon Flash"! It's one of my favorites for it's continual performance and color all season long... It was damaged tremendously from the heft of our winter snows...I had to cut it back almost to the ground...YET... it's rewards are great...It will bloom and bloom again, giving me a display of magenta pink until the late fall gives way to winter once more... Oh Yes, it IS one of my favorites!
Now lets talk about "Tea"! I am a coffee-aholic, BUT I find tea a dessert alternative and DO enjoy exploring the fine culture of "Drinking AND Collecting Teas"... I really love "TEAVANA"... The photos here are a few of my favorite Maté teas... Have you ever tasted their "Magic", visited their stores or their website???
Maté is a wild shrub from Argentina that makes a delicious, flavorful tea. Maté tea contains a stimulant similar to caffeine, although without the jitteriness or addictive tendencies.

Blueberry Kona Pop Tea Blend

Deliciously fruity and refreshing! This blend of Their Blueberry Bliss Rooibos tea and Pineapple Kona Pop herbal tea makes a wonderful iced tea treat when paired with their German Rock Sugar. It is a caffeine-free delight that is great for the whole family. 


My Morning Mate Tea...

an invigorating blend of Mate, Yunnan black tea, chocolate, nuts and a touch of spice. This tea will get your morning started with a delectable energy boost! Also known as The Coffee Kicker. Thank you for joining me today for a little tea break... I hope you are all enjoying your summer!!!

"I'M LINKING TODAY TO"...
"Show and Tell Friday@My Romantic Home"
"Home Sweet Home Friday@The Charm of Home"
"Vintage Inspiration Friday@Common Ground"
"Thrifty Things Friday@The Thrifty Groove"
"Cottage Flora Thursday@Fishtail Cottage"
"Vintage Thingie Thursday@Colorado Lady"
"Tablescape Thursday@Between Naps on the Porch"
"The Teddy Bear Picnic"
"Treasure Hunt@Blue Creek Home"
"Thrifty Thursday@Tales from Bloggeritaville"
"Outdoor Wednesday@A Southern Daydreamer"
"Tea Cup Tuesday@Artful Affirmations"
"Nifty Thrifty Tuesday@Coastal Charm"
"Table Top Tuesday@A Stroll Thru Life"
"Tuesday Treasures@The house on the side of the Hill"
"Tea Time Tuesday@Rose Chintz Cottage"
"Seasonal Sunday@The Tablescaper"

69 comments:

Lynn said...

That bear is so cute Donna! The pink flowers are beautiful, how nice that they bloom so long! Enjoy your new goodies, Happy Sunday:@)

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Hi Donna! Love your mug and teapot! They do look like they were made for each other!
I'm not a huge fan of tea but these sure do sound delish!
I remember all your snow...what a pretty change!

Maggie said...

So relieved that the cup & saucer were finally reunited! They are delightful.
Amazing exotic teas you have there, nothing like the plain old English Breakfast or my own favourite Yorkshire Tea with a splash of milk and no sugar.
Hope the sun shines through again soon.
Maggie

Snap said...

Fun post! Enjoyed seeing your new finds ... fun cup and saucer and the tea pot is perfect with them. So glad GW still had the saucer! I love Teavana ... I love Teavana too much!!!!! I also love bears and frequently invite one to tea! :D :D :D Have a delightful week!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

You did some great buys! Thank goodness you went back and got the saucer! Love the teapot too! Hope you and the bear friend had a lovely visit!

Unknown said...

Oh, how lovely is that cup & saucer -- glad the saucer was there when you went back to retrieve it :)

Blessings!
Gail

Lois Evensen said...

Your cup and saucer are a wonderful find. How great you could get both pieces. I'm curious about the tea pot. No markings at all, hmm? Not even a little streak or something on the bottom?

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Donna, You find the best things at Goodwill and the thrifts! I'm glad the saucer was waiting for you. I know they always separate the tops, lids, saucers.... I can just imagine you worrying through the night! Have a wonderful weekend. I think the rain has finally eased although we have a huge wash of rocks and dirt in our driveway now! Linda

Diann said...

Love your new mug, saucer and teapot. And your vignette looks perfect! I take a cup of coffee while I am here! Have a wonderful Sunday.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You were one lucky girl that the saucer was still available...my luck, it would have been gone! Very sweet vignette and perfect for your home.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I did enjoy looking at summer with you...love your pretty blog! :D

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, sweetie, you crack me up! You sound like me, when I remember something I saw and didn't buy, I can't sleep til I go get it!!hehehe...it just happened to me with the red saucers for 55 cts. for the Patriotic table! LOL! I love the mug with it's saucer, and tea, too! The tea pot looks German to me, I don't know, but it's so pretty. Your vignette's beautiful with Mr. Bear, it's raining here too, so I'm just looking out the window and blogging! Have a nice Sunday and lots of hugs, FABBY

Ricki Treleaven said...

I have not been out in the garden much, either, because of the thunderstorms and rain. Your cup and saucer are a lovely find. I'm sure Mr. Bear loves the set! :D

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I'm so glad you were able to reunite the cup and saucer...and the teapot looks perfectly at home with them. I wish I knew who made the teapot...sorry! Your flowers are gorgeous...the perfect choice for your cottage garden!

Sherri said...

Donna, I am so glad you cup and saucer were reunited! Glad the saucer was still there when you went back! The little bear is so cute! That spirea is just gorgeous!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your cup and saucer and so happy the saucer was still there. They work perfectly with the teapot. Loe the pretty flowers in the garden also. Beautiful setting. Hugs, Marty

Stitchfork said...

Your morning mate tea sounds like one I would enjoy!
xo Cathy

Jojo said...

Love the new "mug" and I'm so happy you found it's partner Mr. Saucer!

Marilyn said...

I've done the very same thing when thrifting, but not been able to go back the next day and find the missing treasure. So now, I really look through things carefully because things often are not put out together. ♥♫

Olive said...

The bear is too cute and behaving quite well I might say. I love that spirea. xoxo, olive

Debbie said...

I don't quite know where to begin with this one because my brain keeps popping from one part to the next. I love that you could find the missing piece! I rarely have that sort of serendipity.

I love the way it all looks set before the garden window. Just a wonderfully pleasing post all the way around, Donna.

Motherkitty said...

What a lovely vignette! And the view is fabulous!

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
you always have so charming things for tea time. Love the bear, the little teacup with reunited saucer and the fabulous teapot. And the look through your windows out in the blooming garden! I feel, as if we had talked hours while sipping tea together.
Best greetings, Johanna

Betty said...

What a beauitful mug and saucer. They are really beautiful. The teas sound soo good.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Donna, you have the cutest tea parties! I love that bear and the teapot and cup with its saucer were a real find. How pretty your flowers are and they remind me of Queen Anne's Lace, only in fuchsia. Thank you for sharing this with Tea Time and have a delightful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Honey at 2805 said...

You have the sweetest tea parties with such cutes stories to go along with them. You should combine this in a book!

Amanda said...

What wonderful finds! Thank you for sharing! I think your cottage is absolutely magical! It seems like the kind of place where a bear might join you for tea!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Donna, I came back to see if your found out anything about the teapot and I see that you did! What a find! I wonder if people know what they are giving away? Someone must have had that in their family for a long time. Think of all the lovely cups of soothing tea it must have brewed. Come for a visit when you have a chance! Linda

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Stunning table! The bear is adorable! Love love the teapot and cup with saucer. Beautiful flowers...love the soft pink! Thanks for sharing!
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! Oh, what a darling mug and saucer! So glad you were able to go back and get the saucer. Your little brown teapot is charming too.
I love your beautiful view out of your window. I do remember the snow.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Donna
I am so glad when you went back to the store you were able to find the saucer for your teacup.
The teapot is unusual and perfect for tea with Mr. Bear.
Judith

Sarah said...

Donna, what luck you've had at the thrift stores. Glad the saucer was waiting there for that delightful cup. Funny how things often get separated at GW. Good to have a sharp eye! ;-)
Your garden looks so pretty, and the sound of rain must be wonderful.
Thanks for having us to tea. ~ Sarah

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Donna, you always have such creative tabletop vignettes! What great luck you had finding your mug (and saucer!) and the teapot. They are perfect with your beautiful magenta peeking in the background! I'm so glad it survived your winter!

I'm having a Vintage Linen & Dish Auction July 21-25. I hope you'll stop by and check out my sidebar for more details.

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Donna: You would not believe this, but I own the Tea pot to your tea cup. I also have the salt & pepper shaker to it as well. They sit on the same type of saucer as your tea cup. I had no idea it had a cup & saucer. I will need to look for that cup. I have done that before, gone back to the thrift store when I have missed something. If you ever get down to my neck of the woods, please visit, we can have tea! Love you, Martha

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

My friend, your pretty cup and saucer are great treasure finds...so pretty! And you are so right...your Rebecca at the Well teapot looks so perfect with your new cottagey cup! Beautiful vignettes, Donna! You always create the prettiest, my friend! I think that the wicker/wooded little tray in the vignette (first photo) is so unique! I would love to hear more about that piece as well! Ohhh...and your bear is adorable!

Girlfriend, your summer gardens are looking so cottagey beautiful! You truly have one of the most gorgeous homes and gardens that I have ever seen! Thank you for sharing them with us, my friend!

Warmest summery wishes,
Chari

PS...thanks so much for coming by today! I enjoyed your sweet note, dear friend!

Terri said...

Well done! How fab that you got the saucer too! It is an adorable set to have. The tea pot does go very well with it too. You do have the best luck with finding treasure for very little money.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs,
Terri

Pattie Tierney said...

I have the teapot the matches your mug. It's adorable. It's also packed away at the moment and in storage, or I'd send you a picture of it. It looks just like a Cotswold cottage.

Antiques And Teacups said...

I absolutely love cottageware...especially PK. Wonderful post. Thanks so much!
Ruth

Gail said...

My grandfather tore down pre-bellum houses (what part of Richmond that didn't burn 1865). About 1980, he found "Rebecca at the well" teapot between the walls (had to be left by construction worker) when he knocked down a house in Richmond's Church Hill District. That house HAD to exist prior to the War of Northern Aggression - hope this helps date your lovely pot.

parTea lady said...

Your cup and saucer and teapot were great finds. What a pretty table setting and lovely view of the garden.

Kathy Walker said...

Aren't you lucky to have learned about the saucer and to have found it the next day!

Anonymous said...

The upside down basket makes a perfect twig table!

Suz said...

That is such a great mug and story. I also liked reading about mate (sorry, I don't know how to find the accent!). Our South American exchange teachers always drank it in these wonderful little pots.
This is my first time joining in. Stop by if you would like. My teacup is pretty modest bur I am sure enjoying myself!
Fondly,
Suz

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh my, I have cup & saucer envy!! I LOVE it!!!

Linda said...

Those are wonderful finds...I love it when things work out that way!The flowers look so wonderful looking out though the window...love all that color!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Cute post...love the basket/table - very cool!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely post and lovely finds. I love the honey bear having tea. So cute.

Karen said...

What a perfect place for your bear to sit and enjoy the view! A very pretty outlook!

Melody said...

No one does a post like you. I fall in love with every photo. What fabulous bargains and delightful objects.

bj said...

I do love your cup, saucer and teapot. How lucky you were to find such pretties.
xoxo bj

LV said...

You just about outdid yourself today. Awesome sharing.

the cape on the corner said...

what a great little set. thank goodness the saucer was there when you went back!

Rhonda said...

Love the gnarly basket flipped over! You have set up a lovely table with your new found treasures.
Your summer view is beautiful - ours is too, but it's too hot to be out there!
Thanks for coming to THT.
Rhonda

Glimpses of Glory said...

Hi Donna

lovely teapot, cup and saucer..so glad you reunited them.
glimpsesofglory-karen.blogspot.com/

Larry said...

What an idyllic cottage... so very beautiful! L

Shirley said...

I just discovered your blog via Cottage Flora Thursdays and have to tell you I went "ooh" when I saw the photo in your header! Is this your cottage? It is absolutely lovely!

Shirley
The Gardening Life

JudyBug said...

What a pretty post! I'm so glad you were able to go back and get the saucer!

elliek said...

So glad thew cup and saucer are reunited. What an unusual bear.

The Charm of Home said...

Donna,
Your teas sound wonderful. I love that little cottage mug too. Thanks for linking it to Home Sweet Home and have a wonderful 4th weekend!
Sherry

Coloradolady said...

Who says bears can not be invited for tea??? Oh, so sweet!!! I love all your pictures, so pretty! Have a great holiday weekend and a great VTT!

The Tablescaper said...

Love this! So cute. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays. Sorry to be so late in visiting, but I've been away.

- The Tablescaper

Heaven's Walk said...

Hey Donna! How are you, girl? You know, you always bring a smile to my face when I read your posts. You sound so happy with life and I adore the way you share that happiness with us all. Hope you're having a great holiday weekend, sweets! :)

xoxo laurie

Debra@CommonGround said...

I just love anything "cottage"! Great little tea party setting! Hope your 4th weekend is pretty and the rain has gone away. thanks so much for linking up with VIF. xo Debra

Fishtail Cottage said...

Thank you so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's at Fishtail Cottage! love your spirea! one of my favorite "cottage must have's" in a garden! xoxo, tracie

Cheryl said...

Ahh I love your pictures - so pretty to see today, jsut what I needed.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I love those photos of your beautiful and colorful flower garden.


Cassy from Acoustic Guitar Lessons

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots!
The bear looks like a real man having tea on the table.


Cassy from Electric Bass Guitar

Jilly said...

Your cup and saucer are a wonderful find. How great you could get both pieces. And your vignette looks perfect. I wonder to watch your those beautiful and colorful flower garden.
western movies

fialka012 said...

*★ Veselé Vánoce★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★ *** ★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˚* _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•*/______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• | 田田|門|a šťastný Nový Rok