CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, June 27, 2011

Maira Kalman's Library Art

This is a beautiful video of a subject I am "Very Passionate" about! My love of books has been with me since childhood... We need to keep the "Creativity" Alive in our youth, they are our future and need to express themselves... In a simple book the world and beyond are "Endless"...I know we live in a world of KINDLES and electronic reading BUT there is something about stepping into a library that is "MAGICAL"! It lets your creative side soar into times and spaces you may never actually visit! Some of those times and spaces do not exist outside of the books covers and our personal adventure inside it...  I don't know about you, BUT when I step through the door of my local libraries I feel a presence there...I hear whispering in the air... A Library is Infinity at our fingertips! Let's keep them alive..."Please support your local libraries"!!! I feel the same about bookstores... I want authors to ALWAYS know I am their "Biggest Fan"... I am HERE and "I'm Reading YOUR Book"!!!

15 comments:

Jacqueline said...

It makes me think of Meg Ryan losing her charming little bookstore. Although I love my Kindle and my Ipad, I still love a wonderful bookstore and am so proud to see my oldest going to the library with her 3 little ones like I used to and like my mother used to.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you Donna for showing us this awesome video of Maira Kellman's art. Really , the library is beautiful too, in my beloved NY! Yes, I share your passion for books and reading. I fell in love with reading at 12, when I read the Diary of Ann Frank and Hellen Keller and more...so, I haven't stop my reading, almost anything I can get my hands on. My father was an avid reader too. American women that live here collect books in Eng., for a small library we have, so people that read in Eng., can go and take out books. I've given so many and I also take out...even cook books! I loved this post. Have a nice week, pretty girl, see you soon! Love, FABBY

xinex said...

Great video, Donna. Thanks for sharing...Christine

Betty said...

I love libraries and books. I like the feel of a book and the smell of one. Don't like kindles at all. Give me a book anytime.

Lynn said...

Very nice Donna! I can't imagine a school without a library, this sounds like a very good cause:@)

Debbie said...

First, I absolutely LOVE her alphabet art. That was wonderful. I did something similar on shelves in my daughters' nursery, though not nearly so extensive and wonderful. Didn't you love that they made that slinky go on a little stair?

Second, I stand with you with a passion for books, and I agree that libraries seem to whisper secrets.

From one book lover to another, great post.

Linda said...

Very nice...I live in the library in the Summer...I can't imagine not having the feel of a book in my hands.In this electronic age I'm glad that is something I have passed onto my sons...they love old books too!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

That is just totally cool. It's amazing how many libraries have gone away. What a wonderful project and what wonderful people.
xx, shell

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a wonderful place! The creativity that all of those objects must inspire. I'd love to visit that library in person. Thank you for sharing the video. I am one of those who has not yet gone to electronic reading. I too love to hold a book in my hands and flip the pages with my fingers. laurie

Melody said...

Just wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Babs said...

Donna, What a wonderful post! I agree that books are essential in our learning and creativity. I must admit, however, that I'm not a well read person. Our house is overrunning with books...mostly my husband's. He can't part with a book. I give mine away to friends or family when I've read it.. with the exception of decorating, gardening and local history books. One of my all time favorite authors is Rosamunde Pilcher.
So sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks again for a great post.
Babs

Sarah said...

Donna, sorry I'm just now seeing this wonderful post. I'm an avid supporter of libraries and local bookstores. Sadly our children's bookstore closed many years ago.

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Donna, what a great post! Not sure how I missed it before now, but I did. Renaissance Man and I love books and so do our two daughters. He had the pleasure recently of standing in a bookstore with our 23-mo-old grandson and watching Little Man slowly and carefully turn the pages of a book (he's been taught well!) then look up seriously and say, "Poppa, this is a GOOD book." Yes, the little guy knows how to find pics on an iPhone, but he LOVES his books! I guess he can remain in our family1 :-)

Stop by if you get a chance. I'm celebrating my first year of blogging with a Vintage Linen & Dish Action ... going on now -- 'til 9PM eastern Monday.

Carey said...

What a great post. I am a book lover and hoarder. I used to love going to the library.d I loved the feel and the sound of the plastic crinkly book jacket they put on library books to protect it. It distubs me that there is a school in the USA that does not have a library. How could that be?
Here is to a great book,
Carey

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

There you are! Welcome back. :)