CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Blueberries & Cream"...

"My favorite daylily that graces my garden came with no name." When it blooms it has 8-9" flowers that look like your best cream colored porcelain plates... NOW picture that you have just finished eating, a slice of the BEST homemade blueberry pie, made from the plump wild berries that spread deep into your woods...The colors in these flowers look "exactly" like your empty plate right now... Therefore, I have named my favorite daylily "Blueberries & Cream"...
The little 5"daylilies to the right were ALSO unnamed, SO I have named them "Apricot Truffles"... You can see what a large daylily "Blueberries & Cream" is... Now with all this talk of Blueberries and Truffles, are you indulging YET???

28 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a gorgeous Day Lilly. Both are wonderful. I can hardly wait for fall for some of mine to bloom. Way too hot still. Hugs, Marty

Rebecca Nelson said...

These flowers are just lovely my friend. And...I love their names. I wish I could grow flowers. I seem to kill everything. It's sooo depressing!

Love to you~

Rebecca

Lindy said...

Oh my, these are the most beautiful daylilies I have ever seen -- hands down!

Lynn said...

What amazing colors, I've never seen a pure purple like that in a day lily before! Just beautiful and so big-enjoy!

Donna said...

Wow! Your day lilies are gorgeous! I have never seen anything like them before! Love the colors, my mouth is watering :)

Marigene said...

Gorgeous coloring. I wish mine were still blooming.

Martha said...

I need to add some different daylilies to the garden at Linderhof -- these are stunning! And I love your names. I have other llilies but no day lilies except the old fashioned orange ones and the new little stella d'oros.

You have inspired me! But hey, I can't ask anyone for those by your names -- so I'll just have to look at pictures!

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Donna,

How beautiful they are and I love their names.

Stephanie ♥

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I am "LINKED TO"
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2010/08/seasonal-sundays-12-shinnecock-bay.html
Come see all the FUN of what's LEFT of SUMMER there... Hugs, Donna

PAT said...

I love daylilies. Yours are beautiul, Donna!

Mary said...

What gorgeous daylilies~ and PERFECT names!They do make me want to indulge :-)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH, those are really stunning flowers!
I need to find some of those to plant next year!
Cindy

Olive said...

Oh yes, very apt names. hugs♥olive

Jeanne Henriques said...

Blueberry pie...oh how I wish I for that made with just the ones you mentioned. Yum Yum!!

Gorgeous flowers!!!

Jeanne :)

Karen said...

So very beautiful! Why, oh, why do I not have a green thumb?? What an art.
Have a peaceful Sunday.
Karen
Ladybug Creek

The Charm of Home said...

These are beautiful. Love the colors on them.
Sherry

bj said...

That's the perfect name for both flowers. They are just stunning.
xo bj

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Just beautiful. The colors are amazing!

Sue said...

That is the best description I have ever heard for a flower...they are beautiful and your words to go with them were a real treat!

xinex said...

These are the prettiest daylilies that I have ever seen. No wonder they are your favorite....Christine

Patti said...

Beautiful lilies...and such beautiful names you've given them.

Thank you for sharing,
Patti @ Fill My Cup with Beauty

The Tablescaper said...

How beautiful and your description is just perfect.They would be my favorites too.

Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays. Please go back and make a slight addition to your post by adding the link to Seasonal Sundays so that visitors can easily visit all of the posts. Thanks.

- The Tablescaper

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi -- this is my first visit to your blog, but it won't be my last! Very interesting -- and those daylilies are simply spectacular. All of my daylilies are ... yellow. sigh.

I found you through your comment on Chari's blog -- and was intrigued by the name of your cottage. I will sign on as a follower so I don't lose track of you!
Cass

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Donna, your beautiful daylilies, have a name in my book, they are just beyond gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing!

Nancy

Shannon said...

I'm enjoying the beautiful pics of your daylillies. Wish I could borrow your green thumb.

Shannon

Getting intotruffle

Sarah said...

We had a busy weekend celebrating my husband's birthday, so I'm late catching up with my visits to Conghaile Cottage. Your day lilies are exquisite. I only have the common orange variety. This make me think I need to spread my wings. :-)
~ Sarah

Barbara Jean said...

Oh so beautiful.

blessings
barbara jean

Sar@h said...

Nice hémérocalles ! I have some in my garden but not like this ! I never see in France.