CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, August 23, 2010

"The Discovery of Chocolate"

My obsession with Chocolate did not start with James Runcie's book nor was it Joanne Harris' CHOCOLAT... Not even was it the delightful movie version that "took us ALL away with a passion"... To me I was "born with the 
cravings", and it was no time at all, before I started collecting chocolate molds...  I am going to share a few with you... Pictured here you see one of my favorites, "a Little Grandmothers Clock"...
This is my favorite cup for drinking "Hot Chocolate"... Can't you taste it's rich creaminess... As SOON as it is late October and then through "St Valentines Day", this cup will have daily use... The Antique hand painted ROSE wicker tray is a gift from one of my "Dearest Friends Ginny", it is a treasure from Germany(just like Ginny is)...
Chocolate also strolls "Hand in Hand" with the Romance of "St Valentines Day"... AH! to be sitting with your Sweetie and sipping little Pots of Chocolate is Heaven... Or Having a table with all your favorite people in attendance... Sipping chocolate and exchanging sweet stories... would also be one of the greatest pleasures of life...
A closeup look at "My Hot Chocolate" cup...
This little cup & saucer is a "Gem"... It's "Shelley" and it's PERFECT for "That thick rich Drinking Chocolate", you know the kind that Francoise would serve you in her Chocolate Shop!
This is an "Antique 3 hinged Lily Chocolate Mold", made in New York City in the time of "Horse and Buggies"...
Pictured here is the "Chocolate Lily Mold" opened all the way... You can see the deep details in the flower...
This "Little Limoges Lady" is hand painted in France and outfitted in about the right time period of my Chocolate Molds... "She has been promised that she could help herself to the Hershey Kisses as soon as I was done taking her picture"... When I checked back the plate was empty...
"An Antique Chocolate Rose Mold" from New York City...
This is one of my VERY FAVORITE "Antique table runners from Venice, Italy"... Look at that color, It is the color of "Creamy Caramel" , or some of you ladies may want to call it the color of tea stain... BUT today it must be Caramel to blend so beautifully with my Chocolate molds... I use this runner more than ANY of the hundreds that I own... I love the shape of it, I love the color of it, and most of all "I Love to Dream of it's Past"...
"A close up of my Antique Table Runner from Venice, Italy"...

This is one of the first posts I made when I started blogging... I've only been blogging since late July 2010... I KNEW I would have to re-post this for "St Valentines Day" so here it is... "I Hope you Enjoy it"?
XOXOXO

I'm Linking To
http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/2011/02/welcome-to-masterpiece-monday-6.html 

http://happytodesign.blogspot.com/2011/02/sunday-favoritesno-90.html 

http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/2011/02/im-in-love-with-tom-and-thats-not-my.html 

http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/2011/02/vintage-thingie-thursday-vintage-bear.html 

59 comments:

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I'm joining TABLE TOP TUESDAY @ A Stroll Thru Life... Come and be sure to see EVERYONES beautiful tables!!!
http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/2010/08/27th-table-top-tuesday-bookcases-are.html

Lynn said...

What fun chocolate molds! I would love to see what the chocolate lily looks like! Your runner and cups are so pretty, and as always, the texture of your table is just beautiful:@)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING to "MARTHA'S FAVORITES"@
http://www.marthasfavorites.com/2010/08/tea-cup-tuesday-no24.html
PLEASE come see what Beautiful tea cups are waiting over there!!!
Hugs, Donna

Kathleen said...

Beautiful, Donna! My gdau's name is Lily, I would love to have a Lily mold for her.
Lovely post!

Unknown said...

Beautiful chocolate molds and your cups are breath taking. I think I might be ready for some chocolate now!!! Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

sweet violets said...

Just beautiful and very rich.....yum....cleo

Anonymous said...

OOOH! Another beautiful post! I love your little candy molds and am totally in love with that precious little tea cup with the cottage on it! You have such pretty things!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Carrie said...

Beautiful and intersting post...I enjoyed seeing the teacups and the chocolate molds!

Dawn said...

What wonderful posts you put toghether. I love how you mix books, and objects and stories all together. It feels very cozy!

Anita Diaz said...

That runner is gorgeous! I also love the chocolate mold and the cup. You alway have the most beautiful posts! Thanks for stopping by. I also like the tapestry best. No matter what changes I make, I always end up going back to that, lol!

Anonymous said...

Now wish I could bake some pain au chocolate instead of going to work! Have a lovely day ~
Alexandra

Martha said...

What great chocolate molds! And what a perfect cup for drinking chocolate -- I'm assuming you mean real chocolate not cocoa!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Donna, you always put the most beautiful vignettes together. I love your chocolate cups, they are both stunning, and your molds are fabulous. I am with your little lady, I would probably eat the whole bowl of candy. Your table runner is gorgeous and such a beautiful color and design. Stunning. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Beth said...

Donna, This vignette is just beautiful! I love the hand-painted rose wicker tray and the teacup that goes with it. Love the teacup from Shelly, too; it is most unusual and a bit playful. Have a wonderful week!
Blessings, Beth

Sue said...

Now you are speaking my language...chocolate, yum. I love the old molds, so unusual.

Donna said...

Hi Donna
Your vignettes are always so stunning! Absolutely magazine worthy! And my mouth is watering at just the thought of chocolate! I really love your rose wicker tray, it's gorgeous! And of course, I love chocolate! Milk chocolate especially:) European chocolate is my absolute favorite!!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

What a beautiful post! I love your style and photography of your vignettes. They are so pretty. I like all your chocolate molds. I bet they are fun to collect!

Nancy

Debbie said...

This chocolate themed table and post is wonderful. You did your job well... I am now craving chocolate.

By the cupful.

Your chocolate cups are beautiful, and I love that porcelain Limoges Lady. You always have such treasures to share!! I love coming here to peek at them.

Sarah said...

Did someone say, "Chocolate?" I think I was born with this craving as well. Wish I had a bit tonight. Need to make sure there is some chocolate in the pantry! Your chocolate cups are so beautiful. Shelly porcelain is always a delicate treasure. I've always been interested in antique chocolate molds, but don't have any of these. Thank you for sharing the ones in your collection. Do you use them to make chocolates? ~ Sarah

Barbara Jean said...

Donna,
Beautiful post! Love the brown tea cup and sweet vignettes.

Thanks for your note about praying for my Dad and our family.
He is getting better every day, thanks to so many prayers sent up.

Blessings
barbara jean

Anonymous said...

Hot Chocolate sounds good but not until summer is over. :-)

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to. ~Ron

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

Oh I'm with you! I measure my days in coffee and chocolate! I even have designated "purse chocolate" that I sneak in the car to and from picking my kids up from school.

I'm your newest follower and would love if you popped on over to my blog and checked it! I think we share similar passions.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"I'M LINKING TODAY with SUSAN @ TABLESCAPE THURSDAY"...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_x908CSKJhI4/S6qroLeb4kI/AAAAAAAAOcE/0jzwSKKMcYI/s1600/New+size+125+tall.jpg
Come see what "Beautiful tablescapes everyone has put together for this weeks FUN EVENT!!!
Hugs, Donna

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/
THIS IS the link to SUSAN and TABLESCAPE THURSDAY... I'm STILL having troubles with linking... PLEASE come see everyone over there!!!
Hugs, Donna

Allison Shops said...

How pretty. I love chocolate also. Such a pretty teacup.

Some news: We're staring a Giveaway Friday! link-up party this Fri. 8/27 plus we are giving away custom backsplash! Hope you'll join us.

Allison
Atticmag

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is beautiful and looks like a chocolate delight! Love your sweet little lady.

Debbie said...

What a gorgeous vignette! All of your pieces are wonderful! LOVE this!!!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Slice of Pie said...

Thank you for sharing those unique chocolate molds! How wonderful!

Entertaining Women said...

I just gained five pounds even reading your post. What's not to love about chocolate! Thank you for sharing your charming designs. Cherry Kay

KimMalk said...

The chocolate molds are so interesting. Your table is beautiful. How sweet to have a hot chocolate cup.

Marigene said...

You have a nice collection of chocolate molds...love how you have displayed them.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING to the "WHISTLE STOP CAFE" party today!!! COME check it ALL OUT!!!
http://whistlestopcooking.blogspot.com/2010/08/fridays-favorites-linky-party.html

Rettabug said...

Simply Divine! What luscious colors & textures you've displayed!
I'm your newest follower.

fondly,
Rett

Tricia said...

You certainly have some beautiful treasures there but I have to say that 'Shelley' is my favorite! ;)
T

Diann said...

Oh what a beautiful post! your cups are just gorgeous! And those chocolate molds are wonderful!!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Ooooh, such a lovely post ~ a girl after my own heart ~ chocolate! All your pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also for visiting my blog today and for your sweet comments! Please visit again soon!

Happy PINK SATURDAY!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING today to SUNDAY FAVORITES... LOVE her blog and GO CHECK OUT everyone's Favorites @
http://happytodesign.blogspot.com/2010/08/welcome-to-68th-sunday-favorites-sunday.html

Lindy said...

Such beautiful and unique chocolate molds and gorgeous china. The photography is awesome!

L.

Sonia said...

So beautiful...I love chocolates, lace and china...what a gorgeous post!

Miss Bloomers

Alicia said...

I love the cups! Do you use the chocolate molds?

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Mornin' Donna...

My friend, I just loved this fabulous chocolate post! I think I was born with cravings too! Hehe! Ohhh...I just love your beautiful chocolate teacup...with that pretty rose...that gorgeous tray from Germany accompanies that cup perfectly! How very sweet of your friend to gift you with that gorgeous tray! Wow...you really do have a wonderful collection of old chocolate molds...they just intrique me! The detailing of the molds is fabulous, isn't it! Have you ever used any of your molds...just curious? I would love to see the chocolate lily...bet it's spectacular!!! Everything is just so beautiful, my friend...right down to your little Limoge lady and delicate caramel colored tea cloth!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing this lovely chocolate table with us for Sunday Favorites...it really was such a treat!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING TODAY with "Arite" over @
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-vignette-friday.html
COME over and join in all the fun!
Hugs, Donna

Sue said...

Donna, I absolutely love all your unique chocolate molds. They created such a pretty vignette, along with your lovely cups. Then there is that absolutely gorgeous table runner- such a great color. I think "caramel" sounds so much better than "tea stained," too. *grin*
~ Sue

niartist said...

Donna, that chocolate rose mold is stunning! Thank you so much for linking up to Vignette Friday's this week! I really appreciate it! See you again next week, I hope! :) Artie

Blue Muse said...

Holy smokes - so many wonderful things. Mmm chocolate! They are all stunning, but that lily mold took my breath away!
Here's to the cooler days when you can use your gorgeous hot chocolate cup daily!
xo Isa

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Donna,

Hope that your readers will figure out to click on the link in order to get to your chocolate blog. If not; they're missing a TREAT!
Impressive to have those old New York chocolate molds, never have seen such.
Your Richelieu doily is precious and so are your cups and saucers and everything.
My love is for dark chocolate... very rich and dark.
Lots of love,

Mariette

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
such a sweeeeeet post about chocolate and chocolate molds makes me drolling a lot. Hmmmm, I am so with chocolate!
Greetings, Johanna

Sarah said...

Donna, I'm glad you shared this link again. It was such fun to revisit your chocolate molds. Love your beautiful vignettes ~ always!
Stay warm and enjoy a cup of chocolate for me.
Hugs ~ sarah

Red Couch Recipes said...

Donna -- I have never seen such wonderful chocolate molds! Thank you for sharing them with us and sharing your vignettes. Joni

Karin Åžen Cankan said...

Just beautiful love it

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

This is a beautiful post. I love your cups and saucers. That second one looks like it has your cottage painted on it. What a cute mold that grandfather clock is, and what a pretty little lady box, waiting for her chocolates. (You wouldn't get me to hold still that long if there were Kisses in front of me!) The detail on the runner is incredible. As a chocolate lover AND a lover of beauty, I loved this post! Now I have to go get a piece of chocolate (I was born loving it too). laurie

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I think I was born with a craving for chocolate too! lol This by far is the most beautiful post I've seen in a very long time. Your teacups and saucers are out of this world. Your vignettes are full of inspiration, and now with the longing for chocolate, I must get into the candy draw and have a bit....thank you for coming by to see the rooster table.. hugs ~lynne~

Susan Freeman said...

Beautiful and magical post!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

mmmm LuVLy Valentine post!
thank you Donna ~

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

I just love your chocolate molds, and your beautiful antique lace table runner... Your tea cups are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!!!
Blessings~~~ Daphne

Maggie said...

Donna, I can't decide which I love most, inside or outside of your lovely cottage?
You have collected many beautiful and interesting things to feather your nest with and I always enjoy learning more about you through them.
Have a great week, sweet lady.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Thank you for your sweet note, scrolled down until I found you followers, I'm now your newest. Looking forward to another wonderful post. hugs ~lynne~

Mary said...

Wow, I love it! Thank you for sharing at Masterpiece Monday. Have a nice week! Mary :O)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

Ohhh yes...your chocolate post is sooo perfect for valentine's Day, my friend! I'm so glad that you are resharing it with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week!

I do remember this post, Donna! Your beautiful antique chocolate molds make quite the impression...they ARE lovely! Ohhh...and your chocolate cup is simply gorgeous! I think anything would taste better out of that pretty cup! Hehe! It seems perfect for hot cocoa! You certainly have set a beautiful table, my friend! Your lace runner is fabulous and I can sure see why it's your favorite! Can you imagine making one of those? Ohhh my!

Well dear friend, I really do apologize at being so late to get by to see your SF's post...just been busy! Thank you for sharing this lovely post with us...it really was such a treat!

Have a wonderful week, sweet lady!
Chari @Happy To Design