CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Flying Flowers

You must STUDY this butterfly closely... He is one of my favorites... He is a "Great Spangled Fritillary Butterfly", that's quite a name isn't it! But he surely lives up to his Greatness... Do you see those mauve spots on his wing? They are SILVER mirrors that are reflecting the color of the flower... Do you see him drinking the nectar?  When he flutters about his SILVER spots glisten in the sun and make him a little bit harder to photograph...He is not alone there, Honey Bees are buzzing around and will supply my neighbor and her hives with a bounty of honey... She has a little garden stand and I buy this honey and can't help but think of it as "My Honey Bee's Honey"...  
Majestic "Monarch" on my "Pink Delight Buddleia"... I have a few MUST HAVES in my garden and THIS is one of them... You MUST have butterfly bushes...I have had them all and "Pink Delight" is my choice... If you can't have them in your zone, then you MUST grow them in containers as annuals... You will see "swarms" of butterflies that would inspire Walt Disney  ... another tip is to ALWAYS put these near your entry's and walkways that are used daily... As I type this to you, outside my window(on the second story of my home) there are butterflies "whirling" in front of me... "AH, Life in Eden"... It's a Wonderful Life!Add caption
Flying Flowers are one of the Most Rewarding experiences of Gardens... To walk through swarms(yes that's right, there ARE that many of them) , is another day you feel the blessings of nature...

10 comments:

D. Jean Quarles said...

Lovely photo. I agree. There is nothing better than following one of these as they dip and glide though the air.

bj said...

What a stunning photo, Donna...just breathtaking.

Martha said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PHOTO. I WAS LUCKY ONCE WHEN WALKING IN THE WOODS TO COME UPON A MIGRATING "FLOCK" -- THE TREES WERE ALIVE WITH THEM! THOUSANDS! IT SURELY WAS A SIGHT AND I WAS CAMERALESS!

The Single Nester said...

Don't you just love butterflies? Every time I see one in the garden, I smile.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Donna, these are beautiful photos! I was in a butterfly house once and I was terrified that I would crush them. How do you keep the deer from eating your butterfly bush? Mine are always chopped off before they can bloom! Linda

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Wonderful dear Donna! and I could never expect less from you than wonderful.

Now that I am a follower I will do my best to keep up. So fun to visit.

Love to you from a little Maine cottage,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh such beautiful photos! Thank you so much, for sharing them with us!!!!!!!

Sue said...

Such gorgeous photos...we have butterflies and hummingbirds as eye candy these days!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

What gorgeous photos!
I've added you to my blog list! Love your beautiful blog!

Sarah said...

Note to self to add some of these to my garden. Thanks!