CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Monday, August 23, 2010

"Flying Horses"...

A Carousel named "Flying Horses" at Savin Rock in New Haven, Connecticut was one of my favorite places to be, growing up... OH how excited I was when we would arrive there maybe once or twice a week... It would be a family outing that would involve My Parents, My Brother, My Dear Grandmother,  Aunts, Uncles, and a few cousins... The Flying Horses were my "VERY FAVORITE", and I would rush to see if the "BRASS ring thingy" was set up for the day... OH MY if it was that was "incredible fun"(and of course a LOT of happy dances were done in those days)... Now as an adult I understand why my Dad was NEVER as excited as I was, as he watched in horror, as his children were strapped to those wooden steeds and STRETCHED out as far as we could to grab that BRASS RING... We got the same lecture every time we mounted, to "NOT put our finger in the ring", "JUST GRAB at the outside"... He was braver than I because I would NEVER have let my boys do it AT ALL... NOW... this SAME carousel was ridden by MY Dad and his family before him(so I'm sure they also were given "The Lecture"... I still remember the day I graduated from the kiddie carousel to the "FLYING HORSES"!!! OH how I loved those HORSES!!!
"My Brass Ring" , Somehow 50 years ago It looked like "GOLD"...
"The Colonnade Theater and Restaurant" ... Savin Rock, Connecticut...
"Look at how elegant everyone is dressed"!!! Oh how I wish I could visit those times... Remember, This Restaurant is sitting at an amusement park, can you picture you and the kiddies dressing like this to go to "6 Flags(shame on me for even putting this era in the same breath as today's attire)...
 

9 comments:

Nancy's Notes said...

Awesome post and thanks for sharing your memories with us! Those photographs are just incredible, love them all!

Nancy

Debbie said...

Oh, Donna...
You have no idea what this post means to me. My grandmother, whom I loved more than just about anyone in the world, used to tell us stories about going to Savin Rock. I had never been there or so much as seen a picture since we live in Georgia, but the ones you posted must have been sights that she saw.

She was born in the early 1900s in nearby Massachusetts and used to tell a story about riding the rides wearing a new beaded dress and hat. It was funny.

I LOVE THIS.
You kind of gave me the brass ring today.

Victoria said...

I wish I could go back to those times just for a day or two also:) My husband is a huge baseball fan and we love to watch the Baseball series where the fans used to wear their Sunday best to the games...those were the days!

Thank you so much for giving me the used book website! I found the Milly Molly Mandy books on there. I'm going to have my oldest son poke around and see if my ex still has some of my childhood stuff and if not I'm definitely going to re-order it:)

From one boy mom to another, have a wonderful day!

Vicki said...

Hi, Donna,
Love your memories today!! That carousel is absolutely fantastic. I can see why you loved it so. I, too, sometimes think I was born in the wrong era as I love those ladies fashions of yesteryear. Have a delightful week, sweet friend~love and hugs~Vicki

Bearly Sane said...

I love Carousel horses (and rocking horses as well as real ones!) and those postcards are just gorgeous. The clothes from that era are delightful to look at but I often wonder exactly how comfortable they would have been to wear.
Thanks for the adorable post today.
Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane
P.S. Please stop by when you get a chance, I have a great giveaway on offer.

Olive said...

It is a beautiful carousel. You have wonderful memories Donna. hugs♥olive

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Donna,
when I was growing up, there was a park about a mile away that had a seasonal merry-go-round, and it was free! We walked there often!

For my girls, it was a restored antique carousel out on Long Island in Greenport -- they loved it, and also loved stretching for the brass rings. My father was the ringleader, and the girls and their Pop-Pop would compete for how many brass rings they could snatch!

He is 6-feet tall with long arms --he usually won!

I love merry-go-rounds!
thanks for the fun post... Cass

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Due to much local work, we too have a very old restored Merry Go Round or Carousel, in our city park. Wonderful!

I too used to love a Merry Go Round. And yes, even without being accompanied by our children or grands, we have ridden on our restored one. :-) All ages love a Merry Go Round!

Sarah said...

What a delightful story of a sweet memory. I always love the carousels. I wasn't one to get on many of the other rides. ~ Sarah