CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sterling Blue Tea

Antique Rose German Spoons
Antique Sterling Tea set made here in my home Connecticut...

            The book "The Brother Gardeners" is one of my favorite reads... All my linens, lace & doilies are all special gifts from a Very Dear German Friend as is the teeny tiny little forks and rose spoons... The silver "lily of the valley" spoons in the teacups are "my favorite" ...
Old books are like a "Breath of Fresh Air"... These stories are timeless and bring us deep into an Era of "Happy Endings"... Perfect to read with a drift of "a fragrant breeze"...
This German demitasse Cup&Saucer was given as an antique gift from a German friend to My Aunt Louise, on her 30th birthday, when she lived in Germany...On my 30th birthday "She Gave it to Me"... It is a treasure that I will LOVE always, and "Somewhere" there will be a "Special Lady who will receive it on Her 30th Birthday"!!!

48 comments:

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

"Johanna here are some of my little German silverware. It's SO hard to photograph them. I need to come back to it tonight when there is NO extra light in the room. These pieces are "beautiful". The handles on the rose pieces are like little stems and they are NOT flat, they are round like a REAL stem. They are all different so I can tell they are hand made. I especially LOVE the little forks, two are the rose pattern and one is a precious bird(my favorite, I bet that didn't surprise you)...

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Debbie, this is one of my Connecticut Silver tea sets... The SUGAR is as big as yours... See how they oversized the creamer too... I LOVE this style, it kind of reminds me of "art nouveau" which I think is SO romantic. Although I believe this set was made earlier than that period... I haven't actually looked it up YET!

From the Kitchen said...

I just came over from "B.J.'s" and am so glad that I did. You have an enchanting blog and I shall return.

Best,
Bonnie

Martha said...

I love all of your unique treasures. The rose spoons are especially dear and of course, the blue and white -- i LOVE blue and white!

Your tea set is precious as well.

What great treasures you have.

Carrie said...

Your silver and china is just fabulous...such a lovely setting!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

How lovely! I love all of your pretties. And how special about your 30th birthday gift and the tradition to pass it on.

Is Lily of the Valley by Whiting or Gorham? I have seen it before, and for some reason, I can't recall the maker. Lovely, though.

Your whole post is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Wonderful silver pieces and the demitasse cup and saucer are so special. Love the blue and white as well. Have a great week. Connie

Sue said...

Oh, such pretty things. I love the little spoons...such treasures.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

My dear Donna,
this is so nice that you post your beautiful silver. The tea set is gorgeous, I love it as much as you do. Art Noveau is always beautiful because it is based on the nature. Your German rose flatware is so cute. I can tell you that the cocktail fork in the middle was made by the manufacturer Christoph Bach, Ellmendingen, and the spoons at the book were made from WMF (Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik), Geislingen. The little spoon with the bird ist darling. I got good results to take photos from silver in the daylight outside (not sunny) without extra light or flash. It is also good to wear something grey or soft blue, because the reflexes of this colors are not so disturbing.
Thank you so much for sharing your treasures.
Warmest greetings, Johanna

Parisbreakfasts said...

Your blog is a beautiful homage to tea Donna!
Thanks for stopping by
merci
carolg

SouthernGal said...

I love those special pieces of silver. So pretty!

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What beautiful silver you have. I just started getting interested in it this year.

Lynn said...

So beautiful, not just to look at, but in sentiment too!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, it is all stunning. I love your silver service and the rose spoons and forks are just gorgeous. I have one lily of the valley spoon. It belonged to my MIL. It is such a treasure. Beautiful setting. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

So pretty! Thanks for your comment - even without guessing, you'll still be in the drawing!

Vicki said...

Donna, your tea service is gorgeous, love those pretty spoons, too. The German cup and saucer is so very pretty and that it has been passed down through your family makes it even more special. You have exquisite taste, my friend, and I enjoyed my tea time with you very much~ Vicki

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

How special is that tea cup my friend...I love gifts like that makes my old heart sing...those little forks are to die 4 darling...what a wonderful table you sat with all your pretty's and a history with them...Hope you have a GREAT week my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
ps I'm following you now...

Laura Beth Love said...

Beautiful!

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: Everything looks so beautiful. I think my favorite is the last cup. So pretty. What a wonderful gift. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Rachel said...

How lucky are you to have been given such a lovely gift! I love the teeny tiny little forks and rose spoons!

Diann said...

Oh Donna! All of these pieces are just so gorgeous!! I love every single thing on this setting! Beautiful! thank you for sharing!

Jacqueline said...

Oh, these are fantastic. I have just been looking at sterling on e-bay, I think it has been from looking at everybody's beautiful silver. I have never seen anything quite as wonderful as the spoons and forks you have. What treasures and what a dear friend. You are very lucky.

Jacqueline said...

Oh, what treasures these are. I have been looking on e-bay lately for sterling and have never seen anything quite like these. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful friend.

The Barnett Family said...

What a stunning tablescape. You have some beautiful pieces. The color scheme was just gorgeous. I "heart" anything tiny and cute....those forks were just that! Thanks for sharing! You have some treasures to behold!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful tradition - to give the cup and saucer on a lucky girl's 30th birthday. laurie

Sharlotte said...

Good morning!
Donna, your pieces are just lovely! The tea set is gorgeous, love all the scrolls and their size! I've never seen the oversized pieces before and I LOVE it! Your spoons and forks are precious too. I have always loved silver, your treasures are just that...very special! As always, thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by to visit!
Sharlotte

Anita Diaz said...

Oh my I am drooling over the silver!! Incredible! And such a beautiful vintage setting! I posted the recipe on the tea post. I think these are pretty easy, even for me, and I am not a bread maker! We are big Lucy fans here. I got the whole series on DVD a couple years ago for Christmas, and we watch it all the time!! Thanks for stopping by:-)

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I'm LINKING to Sue over at "BNOTP Tablescape Thursday"...Please COME visit everyone over there for the most beautiful tables you have ever seen!!!!
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/p/tablescape-thursday.html

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Donna, these things are so beautiful!!! I just love those tiny rose spoons and I've never seen anything like them before!!!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Just charming! the books too! Jacqueline

Unknown said...

Just beautiful. There is nothing better than old books and tea sets. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

a quiet life said...

such a beautiful post~

Marlis said...

Your table is lovely. The cup is outstanding and the silver is the "cat's meow'!

Debbie said...

I completely agree about these treasures. There are so many pieces that are completely unique!
I would love to have some pieces like these.

Marlis said...

I think my comment disappeared, sorry if this posts twice. I love you cup and the silver is the outstanding. Great job.. simply stunning.

Entertaining Women said...

Such a lovely collection of treasured items. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Amy Chalmers said...

old books and silver spoons...sounds like a song! I love the little roses on your spoons, so sweet! I am you newest follower.

niartist said...

Absolutely Stunning, great job! :)

Barbara said...

Oh, silver and old books - nothing is better than that! What a lovely, lovely vignette!

Marigene said...

Beautiful...those spoons are so cute.

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

SILVER SUNDAY TODAY AUGUST 8th over at
http://thegypsyfish.blogspot.com/
PLEASE come join all the fun!!! See you over there!!!

Gypsy Fish said...

Hoooray you made it to the party! I was waiting with anticipation for your post...just amazing and well worth the wait!
thanks for joining in....see you next month!
hugs
Beth

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Donna:
What a lovely set. I adore your rose spoons! Happy Silver Sunday.
xoxo
Donna

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

You have a beautiful collection of silver and you have displayed them so nicely. The spoons are gorgeous with the flower tips. Thanks for sharing with us ~~Sherry~~

Laura said...

Your silver is amazing.
How pretty- and I love the rose spoons!

Laura
White Spray Paint

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

OMG, what beautiful eyecandy!!! I tried to pick my favortie but I love it all. This is my first time to participate in SS hope you'll stop by for a visit! Happy SS... Blessings~~~ Daphne

Sarah said...

This is a beautiful post! You have some lovely silver, and I like the way you brought in the books as details. I'll look for the Brother Gardeners. The German pieces are exquisite, and the idea of passing the cup and saucer on to someone new for a 30th birthday is such a sweet idea.
I'm late arriving and posting for Silver Sunday this month, but hope you will stop by for a visit. ~ Sarah

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Your silver is beautiful but I loved the book! Debbie