| "Dad & Basil must have finished their book, I can see them on the library ladder looking for another adventure"... |
| Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes was my Dad in Laws FAVORITE... He would always mumble that they "just don't make them like him anymore"... You can imagine his excitement when Hubby & I during a trip to Dublin had this Sherlock pipe made JUST for HIM at Peterson Pipes. I got just as much excitement every time I saw him sitting back in his chair with it cupped in his hand. He wasn't smoking very much any more BUT, "It WAS a genuine Dublin Peterson Sherlock Holmes Pipe made just for him", and he would sit silently, smiling a lot... The book PIPEFULS is a "MUST READ" for everyone... I'm going to see if it's LEGAL for me to post pages from it... It has chapters that you will definitely be discussing over dinner, It's witty and cute and ageless, even though it was published in 1920... Originally I had only bought it because of the name and the picture on the cover, for my Dad in Laws Visits BUT it always ends up a favorite from my library... I'm LINKING To http://happytodesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunday-favoritesno-85.html |
























29 comments:
My grandfather smoked a pipe. I can still smell it if I think about it. You really take lovely photos.
This is so cool. It's so well done. The hankerchief's design almost looks like swirls of smoke.
- The Tablescaper
What great photos -- there is nothing like the smell of a pipe and what a wonderful pipe that is!
Donna, Is that your library ladder? I love it! I'm happy that your dad in law was so happy with your gift! Did you just love Dublin too? The people are so friendly. I know everyone says that but you don't know how friendly until you experience it yourself! Linda
Yes Linda the ladder is on a brass rod that runs the full length and is attached to the bookcases. There is one on each side of my library... These ladders are SO Comfy to stand on...
Oh how wonderful is this?!?!!?? I love this! The ladder on the brass rod attached to the bookcase, the old leather books, the teacup ... I've died and gone to heaven!
Forgot to tell you, I know you like to participate in the tabletop meme at Marty's, so I wanted to tell you that tomorrow I'll have a meme too, that I think you will love! It's called Vignette Friday's, and it's all about tabletop vignettes, bookcase vignettes, garden vignettes - any vignette you set up, photograph, and want to share! If you're interested, please stop by! EVERYONE is welcome to participate, but I really hope you do! :) Thanks, and I'm looking forward to seeing your vignette!
Your books are truly amazing! And how sweet of you to get that pipe for your father-in-law. I'll bet it's one of his favorite things. Blessings... Polly (French Cupboard)
So pretty!!!
I'm going to have to see if I can find a copy of that book!!
COME JOIN Artie @
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/07/friday-vignette-friday.html
FOR "FRIDAY VIGNETTE"
Lovely vignette...and the collection of books looks wonderful...visiting thru Color Outside the Lines
Donna, thank you so much for playing! I'm so happy to have found you and your blog - I so appreciate you playing along for this first ever Vignette Friday. If you wouldn't mind, please link back to the post on my blog so that your readers can find the other vignette posts! :) And don't forget to check them all out - I just posted and already their are some FANTASTIC ones, yours included, of course! :)
What a rich and gorgous book case! I could stare for hours....
Donna, This vignette in the library is amazing. I feel as if I am in a room straight out of a 40's era black and white movie. You've set such a comfortable, masculine setting- so fitting for the "perfect" gentleman.
~ Sue
Lovely memories. And such lovely photos. Thank you for sharing them, with us.
I just had to come back and let you know ~ I found (and ordered ;-) a copy of Pipefuls!! My house was built in 1922 so I naturally gravitate to anything from that ear. I can't wait to read it!!
Thank you very much for sharing your special memories and now, of course, I have to get the book!
What special memories, thank you for sharing!
Nancy
Great post, thanks for sharing such great memories!
A fridays favorite for sure!
I would love to have a collection of pipes... the remind me so of my dad.
I saw your comment over at Susan's BNotP. Banana peel? Really? I'm going to give that a try. At the moment the peel goes on the compost heap.
You have some beautiful photos on your blog. I've enjoyed looking at them, and I loved the film clip of choosing colours for the home. Brilliant! xx
These pictures are a dream. I would love a library like that, and the table vignette is just so perfect. Great pictures. Hugs, Marty
You took some great pictures of your collection of book and your library. Thanks You for stopping by and saying nicw things about our blog. Have a great Saturday.....Julian
Hi: What a beautiful collection of books you have in your library. It is so peaceful looking. I love how you take pictures. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha
I'm thrilled to hear of this book by CM. I so enjoyed Parnassas on Wheels and The Haunted Bookshop. Thanks! And what a wonderful story, and pictures!!
My list of recommendations from you is growing! This book sounds intriging. I covet your library. It has always been a dream to have a room such as this in our home. I may have to visit this post from now and then just to see this room. ~ Sarah
Beautifully done. Quiet moments and good books are so important, your photos are lovely. I am glad you have linked this post to the favorites, it certainly is amazing.
I guess I haven't been here for a bit because I hadn't seen your lovely home all covered in snow before. GORGEOUS.
Hi Donna...
My friend, this is a most wonderful post and so deserving of a second showing...so glad that you shared it with us this week for the Sunday Favorites repost party!!!
Ohhh my...I bet your FIL just adored his Sherlock Holmes pipe...it's quite beautiful as far as pipes go! I loved each and every one of your beautiful photos! What a lovely vignette you created using the pipe, your beloved book and tea!!! Every time I see one of your posts, I feel as though I'm looking through a Romantic Home magazine!!! Simply exquisite!!!
Thank you so much for shairng this lovely post with us today...and I also wanted to thank you for your support and partication in my weekly Sunday Favorites repost party!!! It's always a treat, sweet friend!!!
Warmest wishes and Happy New Years!
Chari @Happy To Design
Post a Comment