CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Thursday, November 25, 2010

"Happy Thanksgiving to all" !!!

"There is NEVER a shortage of turkey's outside my window"... AND although we LOVE eating turkey's "These guys are VERY safe in our presence"...
"I wanted to share my VERY FAVORITE Thanksgiving and Christmas Feast Tradition"...This "HUGE" turkey platter is "Johnson Bros HIS MAJESTY"... It has been part of our Holiday meals since the early 70s and it can hold a "30 something pound turkey" and all it's trimmings... I calculated my turkey one year at weighing around 50lbs with all it's stuffings AND this is the platter that supported it(It is deep enough to hold almost a gallon of liquid alone)... Ebay didn't exist "WAY BACK when I bought this", and I had to "SPLURGE BIG to own it"... It has been worth it's weight in gold! I own MANY, MANY gorgeous platters, both old and new, but NONE hold up to these for their GRAND SIZE!!!  I must "WARN" you gals though, IF you were thinking of acquiring one of these BEAUTIES you "MUST" also either support "Muscles of your own" or be in the company OF enough BRAWN to maneuver your "Movable Feast to the Table"!!!
"My turkey's and I have a mutual understanding that if they provide me with  "Their Visual Stimulation and a Handful of Feathers now and then, I'll "ALWAYS BUY" my Birds"...

10 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

What a gorgeous platter! Hope it was full of turkey this year and not the pet turkeys LOL. :) Happy Thanksgiving.

-Danielle

Kathy said...

That is a gorgeous platter!It does look huge!
Hope you have a terrific weekend,
God Bless,
Kathy

Lynn said...

I've mentioned my love for Johnson Brothers so often that I'm officially shortening the name to J-Bro to avoid carpel tunnel! Your platter is spectacular, and I love that your visitors leave you pretty feathers:@)

Marlis said...

Beautiful platter. Love those feathers.. Love the fowl outside the window too. Hope it was a beautiful day for you.

Sarah said...

Donna, your platter is spectacular and very special. We don't own a turkey platter. Perhaps I need to start looking. ;-) How special that you have used this one all these years. That makes it a family treasure! I didn't realize that you have your own turkeys. What fun!
Enjoy the holiday weekend! ~ Sarah

Terrell said...

Hi Donna!! Guess what? You're the winner of my Greatful Giveaway! Just email me your address and I'll get your necklace to you! Thank you so much for entering the giveaway and I hope you and your family had a beautiful holiday!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~
froufroudecor@Yahoo.com

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

That is a very pretty platter and I like the way you displayed the feathers with it also. Have a good evening....Julian

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Dear Donna,
it is indeed a very outstanding turkey platter. I love the homoristic way to see the gracefull Majesty of the turkey. Really lovely detail and an abundance on decorations around him.
Thank you for sharing it. Made me smile.
Greetings, Johanna

Zoe said...

i love that platterm my mum has the same one it was a very kind gift to our family from a friend. Its a gorgeous statment for a table.

Zoe

Debbie said...

What a wonderful platter! I don't have any turkeys living near the house, but I do enjoy their presence on my 30 country mile commute to everywhere. They really are a pretty bird.