CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Pretty Posies and Lil' Ms Potts"...

"I've gotten some use out of the hand made Italian Honey Comb tiles that I had stored away(They make great chargers)... I bought them YEARS ago and had envisioned a floor done with them, BUT brick won out and now I make use of these beauties "Here and There"... One day I'll find a permanent home for them!
"My little Hummel Girl I have named Alice"... She is joining me this evening...
"Alice seems to be preoccupied with her pretty posies" and is sharing them with Lil' Ms Potts...
I found this book recently at a book sale and decided "It was a must read"... I've only begun it so I'll hold off recommending it AS a Must Read... Although the Author has captured my curiosity and as a lifelong fan of "Anything that would resemble the Looking Glass", I HAD to add it to my library...
The Pretty Little blue&white dish behind Alice is Vintage Syracuse china restaurant ware... It is EXTREMELY durable and Oh So Appropriate, JUST in case the Mad Hatter was to show up!!!
This is the "Sweetest Lil' Ms Potts EVER"!!! She has such a Sunshine personality and gets along with Everyone!!! I am trying to find cups and saucers to match these delightful Blue&White Syracuse dishes... Lil' Ms Potts agrees that they would be PERFECT as a gift for her! See how nicely they compliment her?
This Italian Biscuit Jar is Oh So Wonderful! It was a "Steal" for $2 at GW... I Just LOVE IT!!! Does anyone know what "G. diAbete" means???

I'm LINKING To
http://happytodesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunday-favoritesno-87.html 



to "VINTAGE THINGIE THURSDAY"... Take a break and Join Us @  
http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/2010/11/vintage-thingie-thursday-vintage_24.html


I'm LINKING today to "A Stroll thru Life", come visit with everyone@http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/2010/11/40th-table-top-tuesday-home-tour.html

I'm LINKING to The house in the roses, Come take a peek @
http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/2010/11/show-off-your-cottage-monday_21.html 


I'm LINKING to "SEASONAL SUNDAYS"... I can hardly wait to explore all the pretty Seasonal Satisfaction over there, PLEASE come and join me @
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-cornucopia.html

 

I'm LINKING to "Vignette Friday", Come on over @
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/11/vignette-fridays-terrain-at-styers.html
I'm LINKING to "Common Ground", Do come over and see everyone's Vintage Beauty@
http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/



I'm LINKING to "Feathered Nest Friday", Please Drop over and Visit @











36 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh......I am in love with Alice!

Elaine said...

Love the little girl Alice and all your wonderful goodies

Sarah said...

Another gorgeous vignette with a little story. I do enjoy my visits to Conghaile Cottage! I'll be interested to hear a report on this book. Glad it found its way to your library. I'm eyeing that sweet pear box with the bee. If it goes missing, well it just might have buzzed over here. LOL
~ Sarah

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Donna,
you have made such a sweet post. I love Alice, she is so cute. You have a special sense to combine nice things to wonderful vignettes. Love the honeycomb tiles also. And sure I love this Italian pharmacy jar also. I have seen such in Umbria. I think, the letters mean Gemme di Abete, which is the (dried) tips of a fir tree (Abies). Look here and maybe you can use the translator: http://pianteamiche.blogspot.com/2008/06/liquore-di-gemme-d-abete-300-g-di.html
Greetings, Johanna

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful vignette. I love your little Hummel and the book is just beautiful.

I had a look at the turkey cake. so funny we were just talking about that today. Ihadn't seen one. Looks fun and is probably pretty good. I don't think I will be making it this year though but I would like to try it some day.

Hearts Turned said...

I love your sweet little Alice and all your other table settings...you have a lovely style! I love blue & white dishes...they always remind me of the dishes my mother had when I was young. I wonder what happened to them???

Thanks for sharing with us tonight...hope you're having a wonderful evening.


Julie

Martha said...

I will share the recipe for the pumpkin marmalade bread in the future.

The silver tray is an antique -- an estate sale find.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
What a charming post for Friday! Little Alice is adorable and as I have always loved Hummels, she has won my heart! Your little teapot and other china makes for a darling table! Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a delightful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Donna,
Love the colors and the textures of your vignette. Still lovin' the tabletop, too!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Donna~
your vignette is so charming- & those tiles are so wonderful!! What a find and I love how you have decided to use them as chargers! Very unique! Your little Hummel is a darling as well. Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Sandy said...

What a lovely little table setting, Alice is precious, and the tile is a genius addition to your table. Have a great weekend!

Marlis said...

Love your vignette. It's amazing as usual. I love the Hummel so much. Once again I was lost in your wonderful setting.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love that biscuit jar. What a find.
Sam

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Donna, What a great idea using the tiles as chargers. Lovely table and the biscuit jar is fabulous.

Thanks for visiting and your sweet comment on my grateful journal. I truly appreciate it.
Hugs, Sherry

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Oh how elegant! I love anything Alice in Wonderland-related as well. I will check out that book for sure. :) Theresa

acorn hollow said...

I do not know what it means but what a lovely setting.
Cathy

Tricia said...

Hi Donna! What a nice vignette. Your syracuse dishes are so pretty and I can't believe you got that biscuit jar for two dollars...wow! :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a darling vignette! The little Hummel girl is so precious. The colors and the honey tiles are just so warm and inviting. Love it all!
Thanks for linking in to VIF!
xo,
Debra

Maggie said...

Such a lovely tea time vignette, your Hummel girl is delightful.
Thanks for visiting Normandy today, have a wonderful week.
Maggie.

VS said...

What a gorgeous little tea vignette friend!! And I MUST get that book as I'm always fascinated with anything ALICE! Thanks for sharing, I'm visiting from Common Ground & I love your blog!
Smiles,
Susie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

My friend, I just love coming to your place! You always...always have the sweetest and most beautiful tables! I sooo enjoy seeing all of your lovely dishes and other pretties as well! Wow...I love the honeycomb tile...it would have made a lovely floor but I would love a brick floor as well! The pretty shaped tile really does make a beautiful charger! I had never thought about using something like that...hmmm, you have my creative wheels a turnin' now, my friend! Hehe! Love your beautiful blue Syracuse china plates. I have two plates...with a similar design...only in red...they are hung on my dining room wall. They are also Syracuse. Lil' Ms. Potts is just adorable! Beautiful tea table, Donna...thank you so much for sharing it with us!!! Such a treat, my friend!!!

Warmest Thanksgiving wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Shel said...

Beautiful vignette!Alice is gorgeous. I just love your blog and am going to be your newest follower.
Greetings from South Africa.
Shel x

Kristen said...

What an incredible find that biscuit jar was. My local GW would never sell such a beauty for so little. I envy you your store as much as your treasure!

CIELO said...

Very pretty... I can fell the warmth and cozyness at your lovely cottage... may you and yours be blessed... and thanks for bringing us here by participating in our "SOYCM"... A "special" SOYCM is coming up soon, so come back to hear all about it! ;)

Cielo

Katiuscia said...

i just gave you an award please stop by when you have the time!!

Carolyn said...

A very nice post with so many pretty things to see! the biscuit jar was a great find.

Take care,
Carolyn

Sonia said...

Oh I just love the biscuit jar..what a bargain! It looks so very expensive! I never thought to use tiles as chargers...what a fabulous idea! I have to put that in my idea file! Thanks for sharing..have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Miss Bloomers

Sue said...

Aw...how sweet! I just love little teapots!

My Grama's Soul said...

Beautiful post....the pics are so warm and inspiring....and that book looks like a must read to me. (O:(O:

Xo

Jo

LV said...

A very pretty vintage Thanksgiving post for today. You put a lot of thought and work into this.

Anonymous said...

Cute post! Maybe "G. Diabete" is the name of the one who painted it? Happy Thanksgiving!

HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
Sarah

Coloradolady said...

What a great post. I love that biscuit jar and the little figurine is so precious. Happy VTT!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post! What a clever idea to use tiles for chargers. Such a pretty little table :)

Blessings!
Gail

Diann said...

So pretty! I love everything about this setting! so welcoming.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi! New to your blog and I'm visiting from Chari's Sunday Favorites and so enjoying my visit with you.
Love your teapot, it's the cutest one I'm seen in a long time and Alice is a sweety!
I'm now your newest follower!

Rondell

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

My friend, I remember this post very well! It's definitely deserving of a second showing...so glad that you are sharing it with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week!

I just adore you lil' Ms.Potts! And I do agree...the pretty blue Syracuse china plates compliment her so very well! Have you been able to find cups in this pretty pattern since you first posted this? Ohhh...and your little Hummel girl is adorable! This is such a beautiful place setting and I love how you topped it off with a pear! You know how I have a "thing" for pears! Hehe!

Warmest winter wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design