CONGHAILE COTTAGE

CONGHAILE COTTAGE
"The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies" ...Gertrude Jekyll...

Translator

Friday, November 26, 2010

A Perfect Red

Red is such a subtle way of Ringing in the Holidays...  "Red was my Grandmothers favorite color" and that should be enough reason to dedicate this post to Her... BUT... Today I am going to lead you to a book I discovered that "WELL, it's a MUST READ"!!! It is, "A PERFECT RED"!!!
My guest of honor today is "Ms Amy Butler Greenfield"... She has penned the most intriguing work here in "A Perfect Red"... as the cover states, It's a book of Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire... From the VERY first page you will NOT be able to put it down... Be prepared with a full pot of tea and something ready to snack on as you start your journey. You will be "whisked away to the sixteenth century on a desperate quest to find sources of the elusive dye for the PERFECT Crimson Red"!
It was LOVE at first sight for these Black&White checked Royal Stafford dishes I am using as chargers(they are made in England and "I" found them on clearance THIS WEEK for $3 at TJ Maxx(Love those stores). I think it pulls the setting together and made it "POP"! 
The pewter dish is an antique from International Silver, made in my home town. The plate and the FULL service I own is SO OLD that even the International Silver archives can NOT tell me about it! 
The little bowl and plate are a GW 50cent FIND, they are "Melody" Myott fine Ironstone from England, dated 1982...
My little Tea Set is a German antique "Villeroy&Boch" "Burgenland"... I have pieced together a wonderful large service of these that I LOVE to use throughout the Christmas season, and on till Valentines Day!!! 
Some of these "Wunderbar Pieces are gifts from my Special German Friend Ginny"... 
"LOVE you Ginny"!!! 
Aren't they Gorgeous?
The large antique square platter is one of my "Very Favorite Things", it was a gift from Ginny and is "Royal Crownford Ironstone" from England in the "Charlotte" pattern. 
The little "Victorian Lady" sitting in the chair is "Margaret"(I named her after my Grandmother), She is reading her little edition of Amy's book about her FAVORITE color... She is so taken by her read that she didn't even notice I just baked some of her favorite cookies for our guest of honor AND of course her... 
Little Margaret was made in occupied Japan and is marked "Maruyama". She is a particularly fine example of an OJ Figurine, and is made in the style of MEISSEN PORCELAIN. The Maruyana Mark often appears on only the Best quality porcelain pieces... 
Lurking in the back is my antique "International Silver" pewter soup tureen that matches my set... Each one of the antique pieces was never used and most still have their original stickers on them...
"OK, I know it's NOT red"... BUT... How could I NOT use this opportunity to Show off this Little Rose Purse(Brighton) and Look at that wonderful Paris Scarf... Oh La La!!! ALL the ladies of the scarf have been intrigued by the color red for OH SO LONG and now they are sipping tea and "Listening intensively as Amy starts to read us her book"! Thank you SO much Ms Greenfield, you have made a wonderful addition to my library!




I'm LINKING TO 
http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com/2010/12/friday-vignette-friday.html 



"Food For Thought"
http://foodforthoughtediblebooks.blogspot.com/2010/12/food-for-thought-dec-4.html


"Feathered Nest Friday"
 



"Show and Tell Friday"
http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2010/12/show-and-tell-friday.html
 


"Fabulous Friday"
http://froufroudecor.blogspot.com/2010/12/fabulous-friday-finds-party-time.html


"VINTAGE INSPIRATION FRIDAY"
http://commonground-debrasvintagedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/12/vintage-inspiration-friday-14-join.html 



"TABLESCAPE THURSDAY"
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-tablescape-with-churches-of.html 





"VINTAGE THINGIE THURSDAY"
http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/2010/12/vintage-thingie-thursday-vintage-disney.html






"REDNESDAY"
http://suelovescherries.blogspot.com/2010/11/rednesday_30.html



"TEA CUP TUESDAY"@  http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com/


" MARTHAS FAVORITES" http://www.marthasfavorites.com/


"TABLE TOP TUESDAY"     http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/2010/11/41st-table-top-tuesday.html
 

"Lady Katherine's Tea Parlor"   http://ladykatherineteaparlor.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-tablescape-and-tea-table.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20LadyKatherineTeaParlor%20%28Lady%20Katherine%20Tea%20Parlor%29



"Bargain Hunting"   http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/



"Seasonal Sundays" 
http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/ 


"RUBY TUESDAY" 
http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/2010/11/ruby-tuesday_29.html 
 

74 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
This sounds like my kind of book! I too love red; especially red transferware. Your tea set is gorgeous as are all your pieces featured here today. The tray is lovely and so is that darling little purse & scarf! Thanks for sharing a scrumptious post and Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I just love looking at all of your gorgeous vignettes. They are always so pretty and you do have some of the most wonderful things. Your china and all of your accessories are stunning. Love it all. Hugs, marty

Sandy said...

Oh my goodness, I don't know what entices me the most, the lure of a good read or your beautiful tableware! I'll have to check out the book, it is getting to be the time of year here where I can sit by the fire with a good book, thanks for the recommendation.

bj said...

Not sure if my comment was left or not. If you have word verif., I probably clicked off before seeing it. You might want to ck to see if it IS on. :)

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Donna,
this was a very interesting post. Alas there is no translation yet from the book A Perfect Red. I would be curious to read it but my English is not good enough. Your V & B Burgenland is great and it matches so nicely with the other red transferware. Love the pewter tureen and the plate. And I saw your cute spoon! Little Margaret is verce nice made. I had never heard about Maruyama before. And at last your little purse with rose is a very nice one. Lovely post.
Have a great weekend.
Greetings, Johanna

Annie Jeffries said...

Wonderful post and pretty too. And now I have another book to add to my reading list.

Anonymous said...

Red is MY favorite color too, so you had me at your title. I think this is my favorite, so far, of all your table settings. So lovely. So, so lovely!

Sue said...

Donna, I love, love your red transferware tea set and platter! And I am off to the Maxx to see if our store has those b/w plates.They add SO much to the place setting. This is yet another lovely vignette that you've created! :-) Sue

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Your place settings are always so divine! Theresa

Vicki said...

What a gorgeous table. I'm in love with that square platter. I also like how you matched the red with the black/white from your treasure hunting at TJ's. Love that store and the spin off Home Goods even better! So nice to meet you. Thanks for posting my giveaway on your blog. Take care! Following you.

Anonymous said...

Psst! Toldya I'd do it if I hadn't already. *points to Follow doohickey*

:)

Miss Gracie's House said...

Hi Donna!
THANKS for the sweet comments...I do not know who made my cup...and I can't find it...my house is still in upheaval from the wedding!
Interesting post...the red transferware is so pretty.

Hope you are having a great holiday weekend!
Rene

Sarah said...

Donna, this sounds like my kind of book. I'm adding it to my list!
Your vignette is gorgeous. I love the way your weave in your beautiful china and pewter with the books you love.
I have some of the black and white plates and a few pieces in the red and white. They are such fun!
Love your little rose bag and Parisian scarf! ;-)
~ Sarah

bj said...

I do love your beautiful table and dishes...you have some awesome things, dear one.

bj said...

nope...no word verfic....
I think I was in such a hurry awhile ago that I missed that you have your approval thingy on..
hugs, bj

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Such a delightful post! I love all of the china that you have grouped together in this vignette, and the black and white charger is so good looking and what a great price! OOOO, you have so made me want to read that book. Thank you for linking this lovely post to Favorite Things. laurie

xinex said...

What a great post, lovely photos and exquisite china and pewter. I enjoyed reading every little detail....Christine

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Donna, Your transferware is gorgeous and I love the pewter! Everything is beautiful. Thanks for the introduction to A Perfect Red. I'll be sure and look for this book.
Hugs, Sherry

The Charm of Home said...

Donna,
Happy Thanksgiving! What a gorgeous table and tea you have. I love your tea set and that pewter soup tureen!! Oh it is just wonderful. What fantastic vignettes. My Grandmother loved red too. I see her in every red dish. I have a Poinsettia mug and snack set I will show next week and I know she would have loved them. Have a great holiday! I look forward to seeing more of your treasures out for the holidays!~
Sherry

susan said...

Donna-That is an intriguing book cover and your table seems to fit it perfectly--old world charm! Your runner is beautiful!

shannon i olson said...

wonderful favorite things~ great idea with the TJ Max plates as chargers. Table is lovely

It's me said...

Happy seasonal sundays darling....lovely blog !!! lovely day......love Ria....

Lynn said...

Donna the tea set looks so cute on the platter, love it-enjoy:@)

Unknown said...

Donna...they tea set is devine! I would use them year-round, but like your grandmother, I am all about the RED!! I will seek out that book. Sounds like one I'd enjoy for sure!

I wanted to tell you that the maple extract adds a extra layering of the maple flavor but surely could be omitted if you desired....and I saw your suggestion to add a sprinkle of nutmeg to dumplings...I LOVE nutmeg and will be trying that.

Blessings!
Gail

Marlis said...

Donna, I'll be checking out that book for sure. Red is certainly a color that creeps into my life slowly but surely.. I too have Villery and Boch Burgenland.. Love that set of dishes. It is one of my favorites (must be my German side)... Thank you for sharing.

Jacqueline said...

Donna, what a lovely post. I love your new chargers, they really are spectacular and the red transferware is just gorgeous, every little piece of it. Margaret is a wonderful reader. I am excited to try this book. Of course your scarf and purse are fabulous too. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Donna,
What a beautiful post! Red is one of my favorite colors - you should also post this for Rednesday! And red is so beautifully seasonal this time of year.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Well just look at all your lovelies! So nice to see more of your collections. Tis the season for the red transfer of course. You have some wonderful pieces! Jacqueline

A Toile Tale said...

Donna -
I just showed my husband, Mr. Pressed Pants, your banner with the snow and we both agreed that it looks like the perfect place to hunker down and read (and eat)(and drink) while it snowed inches and inches. Then, when I read your blog and it was about reading and having tea, we both laughed out loud. That book sounds wonderful. I'm putting it on my "after Christmas" list right now. Thanks!
Linda @ A Toile Tale

The Tablescaper said...

Sounds like a great book, but honestly at this time of the year, getting near a book seems unlikely. Love your vignette and treasures.

Thanks so much for being a part of Seasonal Sundays! Can't wait to see what you're doing for Christmas.

- The Tablescaper

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

You wouldn't have to twist our arms to have a spot of tea at that gorgeous table Donna! It's really fantastic! Thanks for the book suggestion - it's getting to be that time where a good book, and cup of tea sounds devine!!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

OMG!!! Everything is just so beautiful! I have red transferware dishes that I plan on using for the holidays and Valentine's Day! I bought them at a thrift store over the summer!

Hugs,
Debbie

Liz said...

A perfect red for RT. I love the table setting. It's very elegant.

My RUBY links:
Moms... Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

maryt/theteach said...

Donna, thank you for posting for Ruby Tuesday. I love your blog and all the beautiful things you point out for us to admire! Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Denise said...

You're right about the book. Now I have to look for the checkered plates.

Oh, it's always something!

Hootin Anni said...

Super excellent post!! Lovely tablescape and intriguing book.

My RT Link

Hope you can stop by for a visit!

Susan Freeman said...

I adore your sweet tea set! I will have to read that book because I love intrigue, espionage and the color Red!!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Empty Nester said...

What a lovely post! My dad's mother's favorite color was red and so is mine! I'm a new follower and look forward to exploring your blog!

Sue McPeak Hunt said...

I so enjoyed my first visit to your lovely blog and your Regal Red Tablesetting. Thank you for the book review...it will be on my list. Love all your GW and Thrifty finds, but my favorite is the antique square platter...beautiful piece.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful transferware. Such a lovely table.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Terri said...

What a pleasure it is to come and visit you! I love all your pretties, especially the German tea set and your tea cup and saucer. I love the coloring.
The book sounds perfect for me, I shall look for it.
Thank you so much for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday with Martha and me!
Hugs,
Terri

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Donna: What a beautiful table you set for us today. Your pewter is amazing. I do not own any pewter, you are a lucky lady. Thank you for the heads up on the book. I will look for it. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

Lou said...

Totally gorgeous styling and very intriguing post! Just loved it!
Lou xx

Karyn said...

I love your tea set! I wouldn't mind owning the purse either. Thanks for the book recommendation. I will look for it.

Karen

Unknown said...

I just love looking all the pictures. I wish I have a table like that haha.

Happy RT

Maggie said...

Love your red & white transferware, such an eclectic mix always works well.
Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll be on the look out for it.
Maggie

EG CameraGirl said...

These photos hae a wonderful comfy feel about them. :(

Bookie said...

Attractive red dishes you have...and thanks for introducing me to this book...very interesting.

Unknown said...

G'morn, Donna ~ Your Christmas vignettes are so rich, warm & inviting.

Have a beautiful day ~
TTFN ~ Christmas joys ~
Marydon

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Hi, what a wonderful setting and great pictures, too. My hubby is from CT.
The Bavarian Christmas linky party is now open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html and while you are there join the give-a-way going on today.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a lovely setting!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

your table setting and dishes are just lovely! perfect for Xmas!

craftyles said...

WHat beautiful table setting. I love the black and white plates. I'm going to have to find that book-it looks like a great read!

LV said...

A truly remarkable showing of some very pretty things today. You have a very nice home that has a table fit for a king.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Being mad for RED, I read that book as soon as it came out.
Love your checkered chargers-what a FAB find!
merci
carolg

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Oh! Everything is so lovely, just exquisite. Your presentation is wonderful.

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Sherrie said...

I don't even know where to begin. Everything is beautiful and I must admit that for a few things I am drooling over. How lovely and informative. I am posting photos of the shop today, so I hope you will feel like you were actually there for the Open House. Thank you. Have a great day.

★Carol★ said...

That book looks like it's right up my alley, so I'll add it to my must-read list! This tablesetting is truly beautiful, and I especially love how you used those black and white chargers with the more traditional red and white china. It's simply stunning!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

a quiet life said...

i love love love your post, you are doing food for thought, so of course i am eating it all up! i am off to add your book to my wish list, gorgeous vignette, i love to see books on the table :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love all the red and white pieces! I must go to TJ Maxx and see if they have those black and white dishes here! I have black and white harlequin accessories in my dining room and these would be perfect. Great price, too!

Diann said...

Hi Donna!
Oh, I am so in love with this little setting! I just want to take a seat, grab the book, pour a cup of tea and put out the "Do not disturb" sign!!

Custom Comforts said...

Love your tablescape. The red transferware is just beautiful at Christmas time and how lucky you are to have such a beautiful set from places and friends far away. Just lovely ~ thanks for sharing.
Cindy

g.suzie said...

Oh my, love your tablescape, all of it! Don't you just love a great find?
And thanks for sharing an idea for a great 'read'!
It looks like the perfect idea for a 'friend gift'!
Happy Holidays.
sj,

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'm a real sucker for red dinnerware ~ toile is a weakness! Found you at Debra's Common Ground. I'm your newest follower!

Unknown said...

That German tea set is gorgeous. I have nothing like that in my house....and now I know what I've been missing. Thanks so much for the comment on my post. Your blog is lovely!!!!

lila Braga said...

that is an amazing editorial
totally loveee it!

Mary said...

LOVE the square platter! I'm a red fan myself & love large or small doses of it, especially around the holidays. Sounds like an interesting book, would love to sit down with it & your sweet tea set & have a cup :-)

Sarah said...

Donna, I enjoyed this just as much the second time around. I do want to read this book. Love your reds! ~ Sarah

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a fabulous tablescape and setting! I would have never thought to put the black/white plate with the red transferware, but it's absolutely stunning! And how intriguing, this book and the setting to match. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!!
hugs,
Debra

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh gorgeous!! I love red and red transferware is a definite favorite of mine too!!! I love the black and white mixed in with the red- gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday- wanted to let you know I have been following you along for a bit now and love your inspirations!! :)

Rettabug said...

Glorious review, Donna!
I've just added this book to my list for next year's reading.

Your tableware is all so beautifully arranged...well done!

Entertaining Women said...

Your pewter service is such a treasure, and I love the black and white check mixed with the red transferware. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

My friend, you always set the most delightful tea tables! Did you know that red transferware is one of my favorites? You really have some lovely pieces and ohhh my...the pewter pieces, including that awesome tureen, are FABULOUS!!! I love Margaret...how endearing that you named your little lady! I really enjoyed your beautiful tea table, my friend...thank you for sharing it with us for Sunday Favorites!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

PS..."A Perfect Red" sounds like a very interesting book...I'm going to check our library for it! Thanks for sharing it with us!

vignette design said...

I just found your blog! It's beautiful. I am in love with your red transferware dishes. Oh my, I must have them! And the book sounds like a good one too. What a fantastic post! I loved every bit of it! ~Delores